Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Paging Bob Green. . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    your memory is correct, our offensive coordinator went on some sort of tangent during that bad stretch last year, forgetting about Brown and Wilson.
    Replacing Wilson would seem like a tall task but Brittain Brown put up some impressive numbers last season. Brown will replace Wilson. The key will be a second (and perhaps third) running back emerging to complement Brown. Deon Jackson, Nico Pierre, Marvin Hubbard are guys to keep an eye on.

In 2017, Brown gained 701 yards rushing and had 161 yards receiving. His rushing yards were 3rd most by a player in the Coach Cutcliffe era behind Wilson (818 in 2017) and Thomas Sirk (803 in 2015). His receiving yards were 8th most by a running back in the Coach Cutcliffe era.

Brown should be a workhorse in 2018.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Replacing Wilson would seem like a tall task but Brittain Brown put up some impressive numbers last season. Brown will replace Wilson. The key will be a second (and perhaps third) running back emerging to complement Brown. Deon Jackson, Nico Pierre, Marvin Hubbard are guys to keep an eye on.

In 2017, Brown gained 701 yards rushing and had 161 yards receiving. His rushing yards were 3rd most by a player in the Coach Cutcliffe era behind Wilson (818 in 2017) and Thomas Sirk (803 in 2015). His receiving yards were 8th most by a running back in the Coach Cutcliffe era.

Brown should be a workhorse in 2018.
    As one of the RB (Duncan?) said after a "u"nc (?) game when we gained 300+ yards on the ground: "Call it and haul it."
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I'm told there are only two position changes, at this point.

Zach Harmon has moved from guard to center, where he will start. No surprise. He's played lots of center.

And Mugula has moved from DE to become a 250-pound defensive tackle.

OL Reno Rosene and DT Quaven Ferguson have left the program and will look for grad-school landing spots. Rosene is on track to graduate in three years, which is commendable.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I'm told there are only two position changes, at this point.

Zach Harmon has moved from guard to center, where he will start. No surprise. He's played lots of center.

And Mugula has moved from DE to become a 250-pound defensive tackle.

OL Reno Rosene and DT Quaven Ferguson have left the program and will look for grad-school landing spots. Rosene is on track to graduate in three years, which is commendable.
    If special teams don’t kick us in the butt, this could be a very special Duke football team. I think 2nd or 3rd in Coastal; curious if prognosticators keep us out of the cellar.

Saturday morning's practice was in full pads:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

Video including an interview with DT Edgar Cerenord.
    Bob Green

Haven't heard/seen Cerenord on video before. I'm impressed with both his bearing and demeanor. Some of what he said, of course, is coachspeak, but he said it well. I liked it when he said he was feeling the heat (competition) from his behind. You don't get that candor often. Outside, he's a scary looking dude; inside he's a thoughtful young man. On the defensive line, he's a warrior and pretty difficult to push aside. I'm looking forward to his play in the fall.

Thanks for linking that Bob. I'm very impressed with Edgar.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Talent level has been improved, depth increased and defense improved so Duke is competitive in the Coastal and ACC.

We need to enjoy the next several seasons until Coach Cut retires and our AD makes a very important hire.

GO DUKE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Devil549 View Post

We need to enjoy the next several seasons until Coach Cut retires and our AD makes a very important hire.
    Coach Cutcliffe is only 63 (September 16, 1954) so it is way too early to bring up retirement.
    Bob Green

Coach Cutcliffe is only 63 (September 16, 1954) so it is way too early to bring up retirement.
    Cut is exactly 4 months younger than I am. Unless I win the Powerball (or MegaMillions) jackpot, I'm decades away from retirement! Hopefully, Cut is too! LGD! GTHc!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I am putting together a proposal for Coach Cut in which I fly a Duke dirigible over New England small college campuses looking for the next Steven Hauschka (first a kicker at Middlebury, then NC State, then the NFL....should be able to do it for a reasonable labor rate plus appropriate benefits...

Spring Football Notebook:

Running backs coach Re'quan Boyette comments on Brittain Brown:

We’re trying to take his game to the next level. He is unique because he has played only one year. He’s still very, very young in this process. The question is how much better can he be in his details? He should be able to play at a high level. We call it our PhD level. He should be able to take everything in his game from the playbook, to the details, to the fundamentals to the next level.
    I realize I am repeating myself, but it is a message board, Brittain Brown should be a work horse in 2018. He has the potential to be a real star at running back.

The article also has comments and observations on other players such as Edgar Cerenord and Mark Gilbert. Okay folks, let's talk some football!
    Bob Green

63 is getting bigger and bigger in my windshield....and seeming younger and younger!

I will say this...their late season recovery was incredibly important and necessary. Cut can rock for a while at his age, but I don't think we needed to face the mountain of back to back 4-8s with a 63 year old coach. He has worked so hard and done such an amazing job transforming the FB culture at Duke, but another 4-8 would've eroded a lot of that momentum. I think 7-6 was an under perform last year, but since it ended with 3 straight, they are now on the momentum train again.

Lot of promise this season (though I will miss Knowles, who I hold in the highest esteem).

Spring Football Notebook:

Running backs coach Re'quan Boyette comments on Brittain Brown:

I realize I am repeating myself, but it is a message board, Brittain Brown should be a work horse in 2018. He has the potential to be a real star at running back.

The article also has comments and observations on other players such as Edgar Cerenord and Mark Gilbert. Okay folks, let's talk some football!
    The only thing that could conceivably keep this from happening is Cut's propensity to spread the carries around. But I agree with you, Brown is just different than other RBs we have had in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by rtnorthrup View Post
    The only thing that could conceivably keep this from happening is Cut's propensity to spread the carries around. But I agree with you, Brown is just different than other RBs we have had in the past.
    I'm certain Coach Cutcliffe will use at least two backs but Brown has that great combination of size and speed which could propel him toward being special. I believe Brown could see the most carries any individual running back has seen at Duke in recent years. He carried the ball 130 times as a freshman in the second running back role.

Here is the last five years:

2017: Shaun Wilson - 162
    2016:Shaun Wilson - 151
    2015: Shaq Powell - 125
    2014: Shaq Powell - 134
    2013: Jela Duncan - 113

These numbers do not include quarterbacks.
    Bob Green

Bang bang Duke gang! Duke gets a comit from a four star WR who is 6-4. Can't link

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Bang bang Duke gang! Duke gets a comit from a four star WR who is 6-4. Can't link
    We need all of those we can get....WR's who can A: go up and out jump and out reach d-backs for those 50/50 balls....and B: who can fly and stretch the defense. My biggest disappointment in Duke last season was the lack of developing either. Am glad to hear about two good WR recruits, and fairly happy the WR coach from last year was re-assigned...

Eli Pancol

Here's a link: https://247sports.com/Article/Eli-Pa...vils-116757787

Great class so far!
    "Just like you man. I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase." Omar Little

Quote Originally Posted by RepoMan View Post
    GOOD LORD....#9 recruiting class in the nation and #2 in the ACC thus far? I mean, I know it's early, but I don't think Ive EVER heard of Duke FB recruiting being like that. Thanx for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    GOOD LORD...#9 recruiting class in the nation and #2 in the ACC thus far? I mean, I know it's early, but I don't think Ive EVER heard of Duke FB recruiting being like that. Thanx for posting.
    Almost entirely because we have 7 commits where the teams behind us have 5 or less, but still very cool! FWIW, we have been similarly high (maybe not quite this high) in previous years because we tend to lock in more guys early, then the other teams catch up as things go on. We also typically have smaller classes than most schools (less attrition), so where our class is overvalued early due to number of commits we tend to be undervalued in the end for the same reason.

That said, this is shaping up to be a great class, and this WR is a big pickup!

ETA: By average rating we would be 4th in the ACC (just a hair ahead of 5th place Louisville). No energy to check the averages nationwide. Feature request for 247 - allow sorting the teams by average rating!