Page 25 of 40 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Oh, to be clear, I'm all for optimism. But for those that only log in here periodically to take a fleeting snapshot of how the team will look next season, I want the picture framed appropriately. That's all I intended.

- Chillin
    I'm no expert but I am verbose so here is my appropriately framed take on the team:

1. The defense should be superb with linebacker being the strongest position. There is a lot of talent and depth on the line and at safety. Cornerback Mark Gilbert is a potential high draft pick if he declares for 2019 (as is linebacker Joe Giles-Harris). The second cornerback position is an unknown. Another unknown is whether or not safety Jeremy McDuffie will be the same player after recovering from his second ACL surgery. The defense has the potential to be dominant.

2. The kicking game remains questionable in my mind although the reinstatement of Austin Parker eases my concerns significantly. Punt returns must make a big improvement over last season. We can't go through another year of T.J. Rahming allowing punts to hit the ground and roll for 15 or 20 more yards. A new kick returner will need to be broken in due to the departure of Shaun Wilson. Special teams have a lot to prove in 2018.

3. The offense should be able to run the ball as Brittain Brown is a potential star and Daniel Jones can run so the read option will keep the opponent guessing. I'm more bullish on the offensive line than most with the right side of Rakavius Chambers and Robert Kraeling being a couple of road graders when run blocking. The big question mark in my mind is the wide receivers. There is talent and depth for sure but the team does not have a true dominant #1 receiver a guy who can dictate coverage. The team would benefit greatly if Chris Taylor, Aaron Young or Scott Bracey stepped up and became that dominant #1 receiver lined up on the opposite side of the field from T.J. Rahming. Perhaps one of the freshmen will be that guy (Dennis Smith/Jake Bobo) but that is pure speculation on my part.

There is a lot of depth and talent at tight end so the offensive coordinator needs to ensure to employ them. If the wide receivers do not show much improvement over the past couple seasons, I'm hoping we see lots of two tight end sets.

That brings us to quarterback play. I agree with budwom that Daniel Jones needs to demonstrate a lot more consistency before a legitimate discussion on him declaring early for the NFL can take place. If Jones stays healthy and plays up to his potential, the 2018 offense should be able to increase the number of points per game scored which will place a lot of pressure on the opponent's offense.

Finally, until proven wrong, I am optimistic the offense will benefit from the position coach changes at offensive line and receiver.

I believe what I've written above is a fair assessment of the 2018 team. I kept my optimism in a jar by the door.

Thoughts?
    Bob Green

Thanks for those thoughts, Bob. I’m excited. With the World Cup over tomorrow, we enter the slowest part of the sports calendar for me. I guess it’s a good time to get excited about Duke Football.

great job by Mr. Bob! Agree wholeheartedly...I don't want summer to be over, but I do look forward to football season...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I'm no expert but I am verbose so here is my appropriately framed take on the team:

1. The defense should be superb with linebacker being the strongest position. There is a lot of talent and depth on the line and at safety. Cornerback Mark Gilbert is a potential high draft pick if he declares for 2019 (as is linebacker Joe Giles-Harris). The second cornerback position is an unknown. Another unknown is whether or not safety Jeremy McDuffie will be the same player after recovering from his second ACL surgery. The defense has the potential to be dominant.

2. The kicking game remains questionable in my mind although the reinstatement of Austin Parker eases my concerns significantly. Punt returns must make a big improvement over last season. We can't go through another year of T.J. Rahming allowing punts to hit the ground and roll for 15 or 20 more yards. A new kick returner will need to be broken in due to the departure of Shaun Wilson. Special teams have a lot to prove in 2018.

3. The offense should be able to run the ball as Brittain Brown is a potential star and Daniel Jones can run so the read option will keep the opponent guessing. I'm more bullish on the offensive line than most with the right side of Rakavius Chambers and Robert Kraeling being a couple of road graders when run blocking. The big question mark in my mind is the wide receivers. There is talent and depth for sure but the team does not have a true dominant #1 receiver a guy who can dictate coverage. The team would benefit greatly if Chris Taylor, Aaron Young or Scott Bracey stepped up and became that dominant #1 receiver lined up on the opposite side of the field from T.J. Rahming. Perhaps one of the freshmen will be that guy (Dennis Smith/Jake Bobo) but that is pure speculation on my part.

There is a lot of depth and talent at tight end so the offensive coordinator needs to ensure to employ them. If the wide receivers do not show much improvement over the past couple seasons, I'm hoping we see lots of two tight end sets.

That brings us to quarterback play. I agree with budwom that Daniel Jones needs to demonstrate a lot more consistency before a legitimate discussion on him declaring early for the NFL can take place. If Jones stays healthy and plays up to his potential, the 2018 offense should be able to increase the number of points per game scored which will place a lot of pressure on the opponent's offense.

Finally, until proven wrong, I am optimistic the offense will benefit from the position coach changes at offensive line and receiver.

I believe what I've written above is a fair assessment of the 2018 team. I kept my optimism in a jar by the door.

Thoughts?
    The only thing you got wrong, Bob, was your starting comment that you were no expert. This is spot on, and you are one of the top football posters we have.

Kudos. Go Duke. 9F.

Thoughts?
    Shame on you, Bob. OZZIE keeps his in large buckets in every room in his house.

Seriously, I think that's an honest and thorough write-up about the 2018 Duke FB team. Thank!
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Shame on you, Bob. OZZIE keeps his in large buckets in every room in his house.

Seriously, I think that's an honest and thorough write-up about the 2018 Duke FB team. Thank!
    It’s summertime. Who needs honesty? We need more optimism! Maybe more cow bell too! LGD GTHc! 9F!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I'm no expert but I am verbose so here is my appropriately framed take on the team:...I believe what I've written above is a fair assessment of the 2018 team. I kept my optimism in a jar by the door.

Thoughts?
    Almost word for word how I look at the team...you may be a tad more optimistic about the OL than I am, and I may be a tad more optimistic about the WRs, but we're on the same page. And yeah I agree the coaching changes are a big help and were needed too.

IMO, last years team should've won 8-9 regular season games (in which case they'd have played better bowl opposition). This year's team should be better, but the schedule seems tougher. I think the Baylor/NW games can set the stage for a 3 win season, or a 10 win season, or anything in between.
    Last edited by HereBeforeCoachK; 07-15-2018 at 08:34 AM.

Mark Gilbert and Joe Giles-Harris have been named to the watch list for the Bednarik Award:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...CLID=211735144

Duke junior cornerback Mark Gilbert and redshirt junior linebacker Joe Giles-Harris were named to the preseason watch list for the Chuck Bednarik Award, an honor given annually to the top defensive player in the nation by the Maxwell Football Club. It is the first career selection for each on the Bednarik Award Watch List.
    Daniel Jones has been named to the watch list for the Maxwell Award:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

Duke redshirt junior quarterback Daniel Jones has been selected to the preseason watch list for the Maxwell Award, an honor presented to the top player in the country by the Maxwell Football Club. The selection marks Jones’ second consecutive year on the preseason watch list.
    Bob Green

Mark Gilbert and Joe Giles-Harris have been named to the watch list for the Bednarik Award:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...CLID=211735144

Daniel Jones has been named to the watch list for the Maxwell Award:

Just curious: does the winner of the Maxwell Award receive a silver hammer?

Thoughts?
    This is really great. And very much appreciated. Exactly what I (and hopefully others) was hoping to learn.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I dunno — but the coffee at the Maxwell House is good to the last drop.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Dunno, but Duke football's Twitter is certainly known for its proclamation of "bang bang"!

Quote Originally Posted by ikiru36 View Post
    Dunno, but Duke football's Twitter is certainly known for its proclamation of "bang bang"!
    That has a nice ring. O.

I'm a big fan of Giles-Harris and respect the play we saw from Gilbert last year and think better things are to come. But am I missing something here cause I don't notice any write up or up for honors for Ben Humphries who I respect and thought has been a damn good LB for us the last couple years. Isn't he still with the team? I don't believe he graduated and if so why is he being over looked or not mentioned as well?

Quote Originally Posted by ehdg View Post
    I'm a big fan of Giles-Harris and respect the play we saw from Gilbert last year and think better things are to come. But am I missing something here cause I don't notice any write up or up for honors for Ben Humphries who I respect and thought has been a damn good LB for us the last couple years. Isn't he still with the team? I don't believe he graduated and if so why is he being over looked or not mentioned as well?
    Humphries is indeed returning, and I am also surprised that his name does not come up as often in those same conversations. He is a Bendarik Award and Butkus Award candidate, though, and Lindy's has him third-string All-ACC. So he is certainly getting some ink.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Humphries is indeed returning, and I am also surprised that his name does not come up as often in those same conversations. He is a Bendarik Award and Butkus Award candidate, though, and Lindy's has him third-string All-ACC. So he is certainly getting some ink.
    Thank you sir, least I'm not the only one curious about this. But least I'm correct that he is returning and do believe he's a senior and IMO one of our Defensive and Team Leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by ehdg View Post
    Thank you sir, least I'm not the only one curious about this. But least I'm correct that he is returning and do believe he's a senior and IMO one of our Defensive and Team Leaders.
    Ben has been one of my favorites since he wore Kelby Brown's number in the Pinstripe Bowl to honor him.

Ben and Joe are formidable in the middle. Could be a fun year.

^ and we shall now honor him in the typical DBR fashion by spelling his name right! (he had me totally befuddled in the Pinstripe Bowl since I didn't have a program, yet couldn't understand
    how Brown was on the field, and a lot smaller than he used to be). If we can find a good CB to accompany Gilbert, our defense should be terrific.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ^ and we shall now honor him in the typical DBR fashion by spelling his name right! (he had me totally befuddled in the Pinstripe Bowl since I didn't have a program, yet couldn't understand
    how Brown was on the field, and a lot smaller than he used to be). If we can find a good CB to accompany Gilbert, our defense should be terrific.
    @#$ spellcheck.

*Humphreys

Will one or more freshmen be an impact player in 2018?

Contributions from freshmen (I'm grouping redshirt and true freshmen together in this post) is an unknown each and every year but Duke has received significant contributions from freshmen in recent seasons:

2017: Brittain Brown rushes for 701 yards and seven TDs as the second RB option. DE Victor Dimukeje records 40 tackles, 7.5 tackles for loss, two sacks, one interception and recovers a fumble. TE Noah Gray catches two touchdown passes.

2016: Daniel Jones is unexpectedly thrust into the starting QB role and responds by passing for 2,836 yards and 16 TDs. He adds 683 yards and seven TDs on the ground. LB Joe Giles-Harris leads the team in tackles with 107. He adds 9.5 tackles for loss, four sacks, one interception and recovers a fumble.

2015: T.J. Rahming catches 40 passes for 571 yards and two TDs. Ben Humphreys records 31 tackles, two tackles for loss, one sack and recovers a fumble.

Which freshmen will make an impact in 2018? For the true freshmen, it is always a guessing game as to who will play and who will redshirt.

DT Tahj Rice is certainly a guy worth speculating about as he was a 4 star recruit and is listed at 6'2" 320 on the roster. That's a lot of beef. There is a lot of depth at DT so Rice will certainly have his work cut out for him to earn playing time but the coaching staff has certainly demonstrated a willingness to play players immediately if they're ready.

Perhaps one of the four freshmen wide receivers (three true/one redshirt) will step up and make an impact. Dennis Smith out of Gaffney, SC is a receiver who received a lot of ink from recruiting websites.

Looking at the redshirt guys who have a season in the program, RB Marvin Hubbard III and CB Josh Blackwell are two to keep an eye on as potential impact players. Safety Damani Neal is another 4 star recruit who did not play in 2017. When speculating about the skill position players remember that someone has to take over kick return duties plus it would not surprise me to see folks not named T.J. Rahming to be given an opportunity to return punts.

Finally, the youngsters could press for playing time at offensive tackle. Patrick Leitten and Jacob Rimmer are potential candidates to see action at OT. Can they beat out a starter? Peace Addo is a true freshman so will 2018 be the third consecutive season a true freshman offensive lineman plays at Duke?

Lots of speculation in this post but it is July so speculation is fun. Thoughts? I'd enjoy reading speculation from others.

Finishing with a reminder: #ACCKickoff is Wednesday and Thursday.

Bob Green