Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    All of this is kind of my point - that the 40s and following were the peak of Duke FB attendance. I may be responsible for this thread kind of morphing into attendance thread. Then again, it's constantly a part of Duke football.

As for solution...I don't think there is one for the size of the attendance. No one can ultimately beat demographics. The solution to me was to re-configure WW so that 25,000 created a good atmosphere...because Duke is going to live in the 22 to 38 thousand neighborhood, period, IMO. I don't think the WW reno achieved this, although it's a huge improvement. And all things being equal with W's and L's, a good atmosphere would make people want to be there more often.

It wouldn't generate tens of thousands of new Duke fans, but it would help around the margins.
    One more thought on attendance. Duke did a great job of making being inside the stadium a better experience, but absolutely did nothing but shoot themselves in the foot for making the OVERALL experience less than enjoyable. The security checkpoints, extreme limits on what is brought in, and not being able to re-enter keep fans away, and always will. The more you make sitting at home on the couch an enticing option, the more people are going to select it as their choice.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

So many games on TV and yes will be interesting what future TV contracts bring. I for one would say make all seats chairback seats in entire stadium.

Also build camera platforms on visitor sidelines and show the Home Fans!!!!!!!

It is not Rocket Science…..If I win Power Ball Saturday I will give them the money to build it!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Devil549 View Post
    Also build camera platforms on visitor sidelines and show the Home Fans!!!!!!!

It is not Rocket Science…..If I win Power Ball Saturday I will give them the money to build it!!!!!!
    AMEN. The press box was put on the wrong side - it's always been on the wrong side, and for the home fan reasons you mentioned, not correcting that issue this time around is odd. And the press box is TOO DADGUM BIG! Would've liked to have saved several mill on that press box and put it towards some cover for the home side fans, for rain, for sun and heat, and to keep sound in.... which would have funneled even more people to the home side, making the view from the press box / camera stands on the other side even more impressive.

AMEN. The press box was put on the wrong side - it's always been on the wrong side, and for the home fan reasons you mentioned, not correcting that issue this time around is odd. And the press box is TOO DADGUM BIG! Would've liked to have saved several mill on that press box and put it towards some cover for the home side fans, for rain, for sun and heat, and to keep sound in... which would have funneled even more people to the home side, making the view from the press box / camera stands on the other side even more impressive.
    It seems like the "press box" is a tiny part of the west pavilion. It is mostly luxury boxes and open areas.

For the life of me, I can't think of a football stadium that has its press box or tower on the east side.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

AMEN. The press box was put on the wrong side - it's always been on the wrong side, and for the home fan reasons you mentioned, not correcting that issue this time around is odd. And the press box is TOO DADGUM BIG! Would've liked to have saved several mill on that press box and put it towards some cover for the home side fans, for rain, for sun and heat, and to keep sound in... which would have funneled even more people to the home side, making the view from the press box / camera stands on the other side even more impressive.
    I haven't been to Wally Wade in a while so correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the press box being on the west side a good thing? The sun sets to the west, so particularly for late afternoon games, the sun is setting behind the press box so it eventually provides shade. Also, by having it on the west side, the press, big donors in the luxury boxes and primary camera are not looking into the sun as it is setting in the west.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I haven't been to Wally Wade in a while so correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the press box being on the west side a good thing? The sun sets to the west, so particularly for late afternoon games, the sun is setting behind the press box so it eventually provides shade. Also, by having it on the west side, the press, big donors in the luxury boxes and primary camera are not looking into the sun as it is setting in the west.
    Indeed. Several things: 1) the press box is just one portion of the overall tower which is very large and has lots of luxury boxes, eating spaces, offices, etc. 2) The East side does indeed broil all afternoon, so the West side is where you want to be ( I can say this having sat on the East side for roughly 30 years). I believe what the previous poster might be advising is having the TV cameras on the East side so the TV audience can see more filled seats, the impressive tower, etc...but the infrastructure which supports TV is largely on the West side I suspect...I imagine it could be done, but doubt anyone will attempt to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by peloton View Post
    Oh, if only . I and one of my sons were at the game...great crowd and atmosphere obviously. I truly look forward to the game next season with them (read:challenge) and hope to be in Atlanta to see if we can put up more of a fight this time.
    I flew in for that game. I took great delight in pointing out to my Penn State attending nephew that Duke scored more against Bama than Penn State did and, I think, we were the first to score a TD against them that year. You find the victories where you can.

I was there (amazing crowd) and, as a Panther fan, was looking forward this season to seeing a rematch or two of Cockrell vs. Julio Jones. Alas, not to be with Ross on IR.

Quote Originally Posted by Clocktower View Post
    I was there (amazing crowd) and, as a Panther fan, was looking forward this season to seeing a rematch or two of Cockrell vs. Julio Jones. Alas, not to be with Ross on IR.
    There will be no re-match. Ross is injured and out for the year.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    There will be no re-match. Ross is injured and out for the year.
    Read the last sentence

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    All of that is true...and it's also true that all camera angles show the empty East side stands on TV. This can't help recruiting. Pick your poison, or have more 7pm games. (I realize TV dictates the kick times)

Let's not forget this on Saturday:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...CLID=211735590
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Steve Wiseman likely linked his article already but it was in the N&O this AM (yes, we still get a newspaper delivered every day ) so I figured it was worth another link and a few more "hits:"

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...215765670.html
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Steve Wiseman likely linked his article already but it was in the N&O this AM (yes, we still get a newspaper delivered every day ) so I figured it was worth another link and a few more "hits:"

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...215765670.html
    Much appreciated