Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Mel Kiper listed his top draft eligible players by position breaking down by seniors and underclassmen. Mark Gilbert and Joe Giles-Harris both made the list as underclassmen. See list here: http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/in...every-position

As an FYI, while it’s early, the QB class for 2019 looks less than inspiring. Just saying.

Here's what I think is a pretty good preseason article on the 2018 football team. Looks at both sides of the ball, the schedule and more. The take away is that they believe Duke will be better on both sides of the ball, though our schedule will be harder. Like many predictions about us, we could be better but still only get to 6 wins. With that said, the prediction is for 7 wins, an upset win along the way, and probably one loss due to kicking issues. Here's the article: https://collegefootballnews.com/2018...l-preview-2018

I didn't comment after the spring game. Not to get into it too much, but here are a couple of additional thoughts to add during the lull until training camp:

* The defense looked far ahead of the offense. The defense looked very good.

* I did expect a little more from the offense. I know the offensive line is young and regrouping, and we have questions at the receiver spot, but we have a lot of experienced offensive skill players. I thought they might look a little more in sync, though I'll give extra credit to the defense.

* We all keep talking about which wide receiver will break out and/or give us a deep threat to stretch the defense. What I think this offense has been missing is the 10-15 yard intermediate passing. We definitely need to stretch the defense to open things up. However, you need to be able to connect on those 10-15 yard ins, outs, hooks, skinny posts, etc. Jones needs to take a drop, plan his feet, release the ball, and connect. Takes the line to give him time, receivers to run good routes and get separation, and the ball to be delivered on time. But good offenses have to make those plays. We didn't make enough of those last year. I hope to see more of that this year.

* I thought Trevon Lee had a few nice catches. A guy can dream that a receiver will emerge out of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Avvocato View Post
    I didn't comment after the spring game. Not to get into it too much, but here are a couple of additional thoughts to add during the lull until training camp:

* The defense looked far ahead of the offense. The defense looked very good.
    The defense often looks really good when it knows all the plays used by the offense.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The defense often looks really good when it knows all the plays used by the offense.
    I'm thinking our D may be better than the O this season anyway. Been that way really for a few years. Kinda odd for Duke, and for a QB centered coach like Cut.

Here's what I think is a pretty good preseason article on the 2018 football team.
    Thanks for the link there is a lot to digest in the article. The article contains interesting commentary, exciting commentary and worrisome commentary.

* It is interesting the author picked the home game against Virginia Tech as the key game to the season. The last time Duke beat Virginia Tech in Durham was 1981. Streaks are made to be broken.
    * It is exciting to read Joe Giles-Harris might just be the best linebacker in college football. Defense should lead the way this season with one unknown being the health of safety Jeremy McDuffie. A fully recovered McDuffie would be a big plus.
    * It is worrisome to read Duke will lose one game they shouldn't because the kicking game won't get the job done. I worry it will be more than one game. Punting was horrendous during the spring game.

I didn't comment after the spring game.
    In regard to the receiving corps, I agree wholeheartedly production has to improve. My observations at the spring game are the team ran a lot of two tight end sets. With the talent we have at tight end, this could become a norm in 2018 to offset the middling production from wide receivers. Another factor is Gerad Parker has taken over wide receiver coaching duties so I'm optimistic he will make a difference. Comments from receivers, including tight ends, during spring practice interviews indicate Coach Parker was working hard teaching receiving techniques.
    Bob Green

A question to Mr. Green - or others- How do you feel the O Line will preform this year ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    How do you feel the O Line will perform this year?
    The projected starters are talented but lack experience which is a lot better than being experienced but lacking talent.

Coach Cutcliffe has raved about the size and strength of Rak Chambers (6'3" 310) and Robert Kraeling (6'7" 310) on the right side. We certainly should be able to get a push and run the ball behind those guys.

Senior Zach Harmon (6'3" 285) has lots of game experience but will be changing position to center. He will be counted on to be a leader.

On the left, Julian Santos (6'3" 315) is projected as the starting guard and Christian Harris (6'6" 295) is projected as the starting tackle. Harris is a 5th year senior who has stuck around and persevered. He played in 11 games with one start in 2017 and played very well. Harris should provide additional leadership.

My concern with the group is pass blocking. They have to give Jones time to throw the ball. If they gel as a pass blocking unit, the offensive line could prove to be a team strength. If they struggle, it will force the staff to utilize the tight end to augment the blocking which really hurts as the tight ends are weapons who need to be catching the ball.
    Bob Green

Thank You. I have read your reports for years and always appreciated your insight. Here's hoping for another successful season.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    The projected starters are talented but lack experience which is a lot better than being experienced but lacking talent.

Coach Cutcliffe has raved about the size and strength of Rak Chambers (6'3" 310) and Robert Kraeling (6'7" 310) on the right side. We certainly should be able to get a push and run the ball behind those guys.

Senior Zach Harmon (6'3" 285) has lots of game experience but will be changing position to center. He will be counted on to be a leader.

On the left, Julian Santos (6'3" 315) is projected as the starting guard and Christian Harris (6'6" 295) is projected as the starting tackle. Harris is a 5th year senior who has stuck around and persevered. He played in 11 games with one start in 2017 and played very well. Harris should provide additional leadership.

My concern with the group is pass blocking. They have to give Jones time to throw the ball. If they gel as a pass blocking unit, the offensive line could prove to be a team strength. If they struggle, it will force the staff to utilize the tight end to augment the blocking which really hurts as the tight ends are weapons who need to be catching the ball.
    I think that is a natural concern when you have question marks at both T positions; however, I think Duke schemes its pass protection as well as anyone in the country. Between the read/option, quick passing game, and athletic QB, Duke has been able to be at or near the top of the ACC in terms of sacks allowed for several years now. It may be slight over-confidence, but I think we will be ok in pass protection.

Big News! Austin Parker has been reinstated to the Duke football Program!
    http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...120.1524062245
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Huge news...our field goal kicking is still not superb but this is a huge boost to the team (and a great second chance for Austin).

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    This came as quite a surprise to me, actually. Cutcliffe hasn't been known as someone who gives second chances for things like this. I trust Parker has re-earned the Coach's respect and learned a valuable lesson. I am happy to see he's getting another chance and I hope he makes the best of it.
    "There can BE only one."

A pleasant and unexpected surprise. I was told emphatically that there was no chance of Parker being reinstated. Don't know what changed Cut's mind but Parker's return answers the biggest questions for next season.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    This came as quite a surprise to me, actually. Cutcliffe hasn't been known as someone who gives second chances for things like this. I trust Parker has re-earned the Coach's respect and learned a valuable lesson. I am happy to see he's getting another chance and I hope he makes the best of it.
    I disagree. Both Zack (run, Zack, run) Asack and Jela Duncan were given second chances by Cutcliffe after university suspensions. Duncan made the most of his opportunity, and Asack totally blew his.
    Coach Cut has proven he believes in the opportunity for a player to prove himself; I'm very happy to see Parker gets the chance, too.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    A pleasant and unexpected surprise. I was told emphatically that there was no chance of Parker being reinstated. Don't know what changed Cut's mind but Parker's return answers the biggest questions for next season.
    He was reading your dire predictions for his team related to special teams....and he caved...
    (J/K of course )

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    perhaps Cut watched what passes as his Spring Game.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I disagree. Both Zack (run, Zack, run) Asack and Jela Duncan were given second chances by Cutcliffe after university suspensions. Duncan made the most of his opportunity, and Asack totally blew his.
    Coach Cut has proven he believes in the opportunity for a player to prove himself; I'm very happy to see Parker gets the chance, too.
    Cut has also demonstrated his willingness to provide second chances in the coaching staff as well.

Duncan has to sit out a full year- why didn’t Parker?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Duncan has to sit out a full year- why didn’t Parker?
    All three were university suspensions, not football. Parker's was only for a semester. It is interesting that Cutcliffe changed his mind when he seemed rather adamant at first. Here was a quote from the N&O back in December.

While Parker can re-apply to school at Duke in the summer, he will not be allowed to return to the football team.
    http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/c...188820514.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

All three were university suspensions, not football. Parker's was only for a semester. It is interesting that Cutcliffe changed his mind when he seemed rather adamant at first. Here was a quote from the N&O back in December.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/c...188820514.html
    Not having a kicker will do strange things to the mind.