Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    We have mountain lions in SoCal. The ones who kill people are not spotted in advance.
    I now have Advance on my list of places not to live.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance,_California
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I support the release of pumas in Washington DC, as long as Congress is in session. The same for the capital of each state.

We have a good number of mountain lions in Colorado. As someone mentioned earlier with regard to California, mountain lions are often seen in bedroom communities in the Denver metro area, especially near the foothills.

Probably 30 years ago, a high school student was killed by a mountain lion in Glenwood Springs while jogging. About 25 years ago one of my nephew's friends was killed by a mountain lion (although it is a bit unclear as to whether the young boy may have died of fright or aspiration of vomit during the encounter) on the western border of Rocky Mountain National Park.

I do a lot of hiking and have never seen a mountain lion. I suspect that many have seen me.

One of my friends was running in Waterton Canyon on the outskirts of metro Denver. It's an old railroad grade that is now a hiking/biking trail. He rounded a corner and encountered a mountain lion crouching over a freshly killed deer. It was a snowy day and no other humans were around. He slowly backed down the trail and the mountain lion was content with the deer.

I'd need to see more facts about the reintroduction of pumas in Carolina but I'd venture a qualified "yes" at this point.

I have a couple mini black panthers and another(not mine) which roams my yard.

Pumas/cougars/catamounts/mountain lions do make occasional incursions into Eastern states. A few years ago one was hit by a car in Connecticut. I know several people who
    have seen them in Vermont, but it's rare enough to doubt if there is any local population.

what's kind of funny is that our otherwise rather progressive Fish and Wildlife Dept (aka Moose and Squirrel Dept) does not want to hear about cougars, I think they fear it'll be another population they have to manage along with deer, moose, etc. A few years ago a hunter saw one and actually picked up its poop, which was verified as cougar poop...but the state insisted it must have escaped from
    a private facility or something...(pretty nonsensical).

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Am I the only one who thought this?

Attachment 8095
    No. My first thought was to say I was more of a British Knights or K-swiss supporter, and would love to focus conservation efforts on those two instead of Puma. Alas, decided not to take the thread off-topic, but, now that I see I wasn't the only one, release the hounds!!!

I need to know how this will affect Red Wolves before I make a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    saw one of those once, unfortunately he was dead on the side of the road...

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I wish mine was a sighting. But it was an audible experience, very close, and if running down a mountain through thick laurel was an Olympic event, I qualified over my hiking friend by .02 seconds. Still to this day the most scared I've ever been, and that includes getting mugged in DC.
    Remember, you don't have to outrun the puma. You just have to outrun your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I don't think Alligator River Refuge is on the sites being looked at for the eastern releases. But confrontation could happen in the future. Since red wolf packs number four to eight individuals, chances are the cougar would give ground. A single wolf would, however, be no match for a puma.

Carolina Panthers? Impossible!

When I quickly read the topic for this thread, I thought it said, "Would You Support Puns Released Back to NC?"

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    When I quickly read the topic for this thread, I thought it said, "Would You Support Puns Released Back to NC?"
    When were nuns banned from NC?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I'm not in the habit of responding to such posts.

Uh-oh. If we don't impose some order swiftly, non-punners are going to get crabb(e)y

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishDevil View Post
    Uh-oh. If we don't impose some order swiftly, non-punners are going to get crabb(e)y
    This is exactly why puns need to remain in captivity on the DBR. The rest of the state isn't prepared to handle the crisis that would follow.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    This is exactly why puns need to remain in captivity on the DBR. The rest of the state isn't prepared to handle the crisis that would follow.
    Kudzu?

Nothing to see here; just a mountain lion living in a very public park.

http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-m...mountain-lion/