Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ymm, soup!

Ymm, soup!

I made a pot of my specialty, Sausage-Lentil Soup, for supper. (As an aside, my other specialty is chicken soup with homemade egg noodles. ymm) It made me think, "Gee, I haven't seen a 'Ymm, soup!' thread on the OTB. We've talked about every other food and beverage under the sun, so why not soup? I also thought this was a better option than a 'Ymm, Kool-aid' thread, or a 'Ymm, Jell-o' thread.

Thoughts?

Ymmm, pudding pops...

But seriously, sausage-lentil soup sounds yummy! What kind of sausage? (Smoked? Italian? Brats?) Red or green lentils?

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Ymmm, pudding pops...

But seriously, sausage-lentil soup sounds yummy! What kind of sausage? (Smoked? Italian? Brats?) Red or green lentils?
    The recipe calls for Italian sausage. I used green lentils. The soup also contains tomatoes, onion, green pepper, and carrot. And a clove of garlic. Oh, and chicken broth.

It gets better each time it's reheated

I have a wonderful recipe for Spanish bean soup which was given to me over 40 years ago by a family member. The ingredients include garbanzo beans, cubed potatoes (Yukon gold is a good choice), chopped onion, chopped cloves of garlic, smoked sausage (kielbasa or similar; in recent years I've used a turkey kielbasa or Polish sausage), chunks of leftover ham (if available), fresh ground pepper, a few bay leaves and saffron. Another favorite is three bean chili... one secret is to use Rotel tomatoes with chilis. (I know the purists wouldn't include the beans!)

I like to make a chili with green lentils instead of ground beef. I cook the lentils separately, in a beef broth, before mixing them in with the tomato/onion/bean base.

Lentils are such an under-appreciated, but uber-healthy food item!

Love soup!

I make the best split pea & ham soup on the planet. And also a great minestrone -- and...of course, others. Will send recipes as requested. Again, LOVE soup. A dinner of soup & garlic bread or crackers is the most wonderful meal.

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    I make the best split pea & ham soup on the planet. And also a great minestrone -- and...of course, others. Will send recipes as requested. Again, LOVE soup. A dinner of soup & garlic bread or crackers is the most wonderful meal.
    Maybe blasphemy but I like a grilled cheese sandwich with my soup.

Does anyone have a recipe for black bean soup? I've been craving black bean soup but haven't found a recipe I like.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I consider it blasphemy if a person does not like grilled cheese.

Not sure if it qualifies as a soup per se, but I love a big bowl of hearty chili. Throw in some jalapenos (pickled) and I am good to go.

As an aside, there was an article in the recent mens health on the nutritional benefits of soup.
    http://www.menshealth.com/cda/articl...0012281eac____

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    Not sure if it qualifies as a soup per se, but I love a big bowl of hearty chili. Throw in some jalapenos (pickled) and I am good to go.

As an aside, there was an article in the recent mens health on the nutritional benefits of soup.
    http://www.menshealth.com/cda/articl...0012281eac____
    My specialty "soup" is chili, with the aforementioned jalapenos. You haven't had chili until you've had mine. And if you want, I can make it clear out your sinuses pretty good too.

Red face I think we need a YCCH thread

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    My specialty "soup" is chili, with the aforementioned jalapenos. You haven't had chili until you've had mine. And if you want, I can make it clear out your sinuses pretty good too.
    I guess I should try your chili before I go on Advair ... hopefully it will cure my asthma!

YMM!!!!!!

Lavabe

I am always a sucker for french onion soup.

I love making Guinness stew in the crock pot... "set it and forget it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    I guess I should try your chili before I go on Advair ... hopefully it will cure my asthma!

YMM!!!!!!

Lavabe
    How do you eat your chili? My husband (from the South) has Frito pie, I grew up (in Nebraska) having it with cinnamon rolls.

My husband thought it was the strangest thing having it with cinnamon rolls, until I took him to Nebraska and he realized that all kids my generation eat it that way. That's how they used to serve it in public elementary schools. Chili with a Cinnamon roll.

Makes you rethink about the influences school lunches can have on kids. (Goulash will never be the same)

baked potato soup from california dreamin' or carolina roadhouse.
    mmmmmmmm mmmmmm mmmm!

Quote Originally Posted by ghost View Post
    I grew up (in Nebraska) having it with cinnamon rolls.

My husband thought it was the strangest thing having it with cinnamon rolls, until I took him to Nebraska and he realized that all kids my generation eat it that way. That's how they used to serve it in public elementary schools. Chili with a Cinnamon roll.
    OHMIGOD!!! I thought I was THE ONLY ONE (besides my brother and other Lincoln elementary school classmates) who was exposed to that!

I *Loved* cinnamon rolls with chili! The best was when it coincided with chocolate milk Fridays.

Where in Nebraska?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Word. I especially like grilled cheese with homemade cream of tomato soup. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost View Post
    How do you eat your chili? My husband (from the South) has Frito pie, I grew up (in Nebraska) having it with cinnamon rolls.

Makes you rethink about the influences school lunches can have on kids. (Goulash will never be the same)
    School lunch is the only place in the entire world I have seen the pairing of square pizza and canned corn. Nowhere else have I seen such a combination - but boy, that was a staple.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    Word. I especially like grilled cheese with homemade cream of tomato soup. Good stuff.
    And by homemade, I'm assuming you mean adding a can of milk, right? Is there another way?

And yes, definitely to be served with a grilled cheese sammich.

I agree

I also often have grilled cheese with soup. (damn, I'll have grilled cheese with anything). Love it.