Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 60
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Raleigh NC

    Tipping at Restaurants

    Recently I was at some restaurant & I overheard some of the employees complaining about people not tipping on take out orders. I always given tips when I eat my meal at the restaurant. & when food is delivered to my house. I have never given a tip on take out orders. Does anyone here tip on take out orders? Is it considered rude not to or were the employees just be whiny and greedy?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sterling, VA
    I don't tip if I go into the restaurant for take out orders. If I'm parked at Outback and the guy runs out to my car with my food and runs back in to swipe my credit card (which I think is just silly - sometimes I have just walked in there myself) then I'll add a dollar or so tip.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Wow, a buck? I don't even do that, although this one place I go to (THE best hot wings!) they get the change from a dollar from me when I go pick up an order.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Take out guys only make $2.13-3.40 an hour just like the servers. If you don't tip those guys, they don't make very much money. Also they do a lot more work preparing your food than you might imagine. If you were dining in, the cooks set up your plate. However for to-go, it is the take out guy's job to do it. I think you guys should tip for to-go orders if they do a good job with your meal. If not then don't. I will say that just giving them the change left over from a dollar is like a slap in the face to a server/take-out guy. Sorry for my soapbox, I work in restaraunt management.

  5. #5
    No extra effort other than standing there handing me my food garners $0.00 from me. Agreed, if they do something, well I'll tip. Its sorta like tipping the guy at the Vegas Casino who opens the taxi door for you. I mean I give a tip, but most of the work is being done by the taxi driver...who if he takes me the shortest route or provides interesting conversation gets a significant tip.

    Where'd all the Kleenex go?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian12215 View Post
    Take out guys only make $2.13-3.40 an hour just like the servers. If you don't tip those guys, they don't make very much money. Also they do a lot more work preparing your food than you might imagine. If you were dining in, the cooks set up your plate. However for to-go, it is the take out guy's job to do it. I think you guys should tip for to-go orders if they do a good job with your meal. If not then don't. I will say that just giving them the change left over from a dollar is like a slap in the face to a server/take-out guy. Sorry for my soapbox, I work in restaraunt management.
    Puts a different spin on it, thanks for the info. I will be more generous in the future.

    Where'd all the Kleenex go?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Let me clarify that I am talking about the take out guys at restaraunts like Outback, Applebees, Ruby T's, etc. I don't know much about TO guys at a chinese or pizza place.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by knights68 View Post
    Wow, a buck? I don't even do that, although this one place I go to (THE best hot wings!) they get the change from a dollar from me when I go pick up an order.
    It is rude to not tip at Outback take-out style places. If you go in and pick it up, I usually tip a buck. If they bring it out, I'll usually tip 15%, no less than 2 or 3 bucks. These people are running back and forth between the kitchen, putting together orders, taking phone calls, going in and outside in the elements (hot in the summer, cold in the winter, rain, etc). Also doing random tasks assigned to them to help out the rest of the restaurant run. Its not easy.

  9. #9
    what are the thoughts on tipping at a place like Chipotle where you just go down the assembly line. I am never sure if it is proper to tip in that case or not. Perhaps I am incorrect, but I always viewed a tip as compensation in thanks for good service and a pleasant attitude. At a place like Chipotle they don't bring me my food, they don't refill my drink, and they clear away the table after me. I always figured the price of my meal would cover the bare bones minimum.

    When the people at Chipotle barely acknowledge me, and just put together the food as I give an order I dont think that deserves a tip. If however the person behind the glass is kind and friendly, I will give a dollar or two. I just sometimes feel awkward when I see the tip line on a credit card receipt and dont feel like they have earned it.
    Last edited by Channing; 10-25-2007 at 12:31 PM. Reason: incomplete post

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sterling, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by tombrady View Post
    It is rude to not tip at Outback take-out style places. If you go in and pick it up, I usually tip a buck. If they bring it out, I'll usually tip 15%, no less than 2 or 3 bucks. These people are running back and forth between the kitchen, putting together orders, taking phone calls, going in and outside in the elements (hot in the summer, cold in the winter, rain, etc). Also doing random tasks assigned to them to help out the rest of the restaurant run. Its not easy.
    Hmmm, you all make good points. I would still prefer to just walk in myself at the side door though... or is that like restaurant taboo?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Do you all tip at fast food drive-thrus as well? I don't tip at take-out as they're just taking my money and giving me a bag generally. They do the same thing at a fast food drive-thru, and those guys also make minimum wage. What's the difference between the guy at the fast food window who bags the food and takes your money and the guy at a take-out window who does the same?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    Hmmm, you all make good points. I would still prefer to just walk in myself at the side door though... or is that like restaurant taboo?
    You can order food at the bar, and it usually comes out pretty quick. If you really want to save the 3 bucks, go to the Outback (which you were going to do anyway), order at the bar and sit there for 10 minutes and watch TV. The bartender will hand you your food (no waitress, etc) and you can be on your way.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    Do you all tip at fast food drive-thrus as well? I don't tip at take-out as they're just taking my money and giving me a bag generally. They do the same thing at a fast food drive-thru, and those guys also make minimum wage. What's the difference between the guy at the fast food window who bags the food and takes your money and the guy at a take-out window who does the same?
    Throwing a prepackaged burger and fries into a bag is different than gathering together a meal with several elements like at a nicer restaurant (outback), putting the items into seperate boxes, gathering all the condiments, running back and forth between the kitchen, watching for cars, going outside, etc etc. You also have to keep like 7 meals at a time straight, whereas baggers at fast food just do one at a time in the order the cars are at the window.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sterling, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by tombrady View Post
    You can order food at the bar, and it usually comes out pretty quick. If you really want to save the 3 bucks, go to the Outback (which you were going to do anyway), order at the bar and sit there for 10 minutes and watch TV. The bartender will hand you your food (no waitress, etc) and you can be on your way.
    I tip the full amount to the bartender (granted I sit there and eat it) that I would the waiter/ress for the food.

    And I think clipsfan does have a decent point though - I am not convinced of the vast differences by your statement above.

  15. #15
    I'll be honest, I have never heard of places like Outback, Chilis et al. bringing food out to the car. I always just assumed I was supposed to park in the special take out parking spot, walk in the side door, and tell them I had arrived. Am i supposed to call when I get there and tell them I am outside?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Quote Originally Posted by tombrady View Post
    You can order food at the bar, and it usually comes out pretty quick. If you really want to save the 3 bucks, go to the Outback (which you were going to do anyway), order at the bar and sit there for 10 minutes and watch TV. The bartender will hand you your food (no waitress, etc) and you can be on your way.
    How is the bartender doing anything different than the people at the cashier at a restaurant who gives me the takeout? Maybe things are done differently out here, but I only know one place that they bring the takeout to the car (and that's because the parking is impossible there). Wouldn't you tip the bartender by your reasoning?

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    How is the bartender doing anything different than the people at the cashier at a restaurant who gives me the takeout? Maybe things are done differently out here, but I only know one place that they bring the takeout to the car (and that's because the parking is impossible there). Wouldn't you tip the bartender by your reasoning?
    the bartender is the functional equivalent of a waiter aren't they? I just tip them what I would tip a waitress.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    the bartender is the functional equivalent of a waiter aren't they? I just tip them what I would tip a waitress.
    Oh, if you're eating at the bar that's definitely the case. I think that the poster I was responding to (Tombrady?) was saying that you can get takeout from the bartender and as a result not tip.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    I'll be honest, I have never heard of places like Outback, Chilis et al. bringing food out to the car. I always just assumed I was supposed to park in the special take out parking spot, walk in the side door, and tell them I had arrived. Am i supposed to call when I get there and tell them I am outside?
    If its legit, they'll see you arrive and come out with your food.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    Oh, if you're eating at the bar that's definitely the case. I think that the poster I was responding to (Tombrady?) was saying that you can get takeout from the bartender and as a result not tip.
    i'd tip a buck.

Similar Threads

  1. A tipping question- hotels
    By BluDevilGal in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 11-20-2009, 09:30 AM
  2. Hilton Head dining/restaurants
    By devildeac in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-27-2008, 08:15 PM
  3. Post bars/restaurants in your area with NCAA package here
    By throatybeard in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-15-2007, 07:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •