Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    OK, I'm in.

Back story: Graduated at 6'4", 195 lbs, playing pickup ball, club ultimate, working two jobs, and following a Pits / beer subsistence diet. Got my first salaryman job in the DC area, still playing ball / other sports leagues after work, now living on the classic bachelor diet of ramen noodles / tuna fish / microwave burritos / PB&J / takeout Chinese / pizza, plus Friday and / or Saturday nights out with the boys. Somehow talked Mrs. Turk into getting married, and after we moved to the Philly burbs my whole life fell apart. (bada boomp). Better food, more regular meals, not as much ball, and my weight starts inching (pounding?) up. When Swee'Pea was born, I was 32 and 225 lbs but still playing in a couple leagues in the winter, and also playing golf (walking) in the summer, so decent shape for a guy with a desk job. But I was gaining about a pound a year until I retired from league ball at 40. By that point, we had added twins Felix and Oscar to the roster, with Sunshine as the runt of the litter. Fast forward a bit more, I'm coaching the young Turks, and down to one or two leisurely pickup runs a week with other fat old guys. With all those mouths to feed, I also need to make some bank, so I got into the consultant racket, with travel, long hours, or both, and my weight floated around 240-245. I almost lost my pregnancy weight in 2014, when I got down to 228 while prepping for a a 10 day, 100 mile camping trek in Philmont, NM with the Felix and the Scouts, hiking with full pack at about 8500 feet, with two or three peaks at 11-12,000. So it's not a completely lost cause, and I know I can get back under 230.

Fast forward to February 2018, and at age 55, I'm around 255 after falling into bad habits and doing lots of research trying to write the perfect "Ymm Beer" post. This isn't going to work. So I used Ash Wednesday as my kickoff - no alcohol. Making an effort to hit the hotel gym, avoid bread where possible, and eat better. Got a fitbit and using the 10,000 step goal, but have not done much data analysis. Using MyFitnessPal sporadically for food logging.

When I'm home, my local Y has a good set of programs. I like yoga for stretching, and a workout program called "Body Pump" - 1 hour, light weights, lots of reps, targeted muscle groups, and a bit of cardio. Better than I can do on my own. I want to save what's left of my knees for pickup, so I either do the elliptical, the bike, or run laps on the high school track. Some people find track laps boring, but I like the ability to do measured intervals and goals depending on how I'm feeling. I don't want to run on asphalt or concrete anymore ever. I have also been getting some weekend day hikes in with Mrs. Turk at Valley Forge or a couple of the state parks that are reasonably close. It might be time to change jobs and see if I can find something that pays the same with less effort; that would help a lot.

But we will work with what we have. Weight this AM was 247. Goal for Easter is 240. We'll re-evaluate whether to add the occasional Dogfish Head or Victory beverages back into the mix at that time.

I'd go with the 60 Minute IPA or the Prima Pils. Less carbs/calories. I'd stay away from the 120 Minute IPA or World Wide Stout or the Java Cask, likely 400+ calories each.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

OK, I'm in.

Back story: Graduated at 6'4", 195 lbs, playing pickup ball, club ultimate, working two jobs, and following a Pits / beer subsistence diet. Got my first salaryman job in the DC area, still playing ball / other sports leagues after work, now living on the classic bachelor diet of ramen noodles / tuna fish / microwave burritos / PB&J / takeout Chinese / pizza, plus Friday and / or Saturday nights out with the boys. Somehow talked Mrs. Turk into getting married, and after we moved to the Philly burbs my whole life fell apart. (bada boomp). Better food, more regular meals, not as much ball, and my weight starts inching (pounding?) up. When Swee'Pea was born, I was 32 and 225 lbs but still playing in a couple leagues in the winter, and also playing golf (walking) in the summer, so decent shape for a guy with a desk job. But I was gaining about a pound a year until I retired from league ball at 40. By that point, we had added twins Felix and Oscar to the roster, with Sunshine as the runt of the litter. Fast forward a bit more, I'm coaching the young Turks, and down to one or two leisurely pickup runs a week with other fat old guys. With all those mouths to feed, I also need to make some bank, so I got into the consultant racket, with travel, long hours, or both, and my weight floated around 240-245. I almost lost my pregnancy weight in 2014, when I got down to 228 while prepping for a a 10 day, 100 mile camping trek in Philmont, NM with the Felix and the Scouts, hiking with full pack at about 8500 feet, with two or three peaks at 11-12,000. So it's not a completely lost cause, and I know I can get back under 230.

Fast forward to February 2018, and at age 55, I'm around 255 after falling into bad habits and doing lots of research trying to write the perfect "Ymm Beer" post. This isn't going to work. So I used Ash Wednesday as my kickoff - no alcohol. Making an effort to hit the hotel gym, avoid bread where possible, and eat better. Got a fitbit and using the 10,000 step goal, but have not done much data analysis. Using MyFitnessPal sporadically for food logging.

When I'm home, my local Y has a good set of programs. I like yoga for stretching, and a workout program called "Body Pump" - 1 hour, light weights, lots of reps, targeted muscle groups, and a bit of cardio. Better than I can do on my own. I want to save what's left of my knees for pickup, so I either do the elliptical, the bike, or run laps on the high school track. Some people find track laps boring, but I like the ability to do measured intervals and goals depending on how I'm feeling. I don't want to run on asphalt or concrete anymore ever. I have also been getting some weekend day hikes in with Mrs. Turk at Valley Forge or a couple of the state parks that are reasonably close. It might be time to change jobs and see if I can find something that pays the same with less effort; that would help a lot.

But we will work with what we have. Weight this AM was 247. Goal for Easter is 240. We'll re-evaluate whether to add the occasional Dogfish Head or Victory beverages back into the mix at that time.
    Go get it, Turk!

Exercise is a big part. Caloric intake is usually an even bigger part. Bread, chips, alcohol, empty carbs are the enemy for me. Substituted proteins and complex carbs for simple carbs, and water for wine. Amazing difference just from that.

Thanks for sharing, good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    water for wine.
    That would be a miracle for me.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    That would be a miracle for me.
    For the record —that does NOT make me the anti-Christ.

OK, I'm in.
    ..[snip]...
    You can do this, Turk!
    I bet you can do it better if you go back to the Muppet turkey avatar (though I do support your support of all puppetry-related icons).

I'm finding this week that my lower body soreness is much less pronounced. I think the new shoes were the biggest thing I needed. Really feel like I'm rounding into a rhythm, where even the days when I don't much want to go to the gym end up feeling pretty good. If I can get to that point, then anyone reading this thread can.

Went down a belt loop today, what a feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Went down a belt loop today, what a feeling.
    Virtual high fives, as I cannot spork you.
    Let's go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    You can do this, Turk!
    I bet you can do it better if you go back to the Muppet turkey avatar (though I do support your support of all puppetry-related icons).

I'm finding this week that my lower body soreness is much less pronounced. I think the new shoes were the biggest thing I needed. Really feel like I'm rounding into a rhythm, where even the days when I don't much want to go to the gym end up feeling pretty good. If I can get to that point, then anyone reading this thread can.
    Very important point. As soon as my feet/legs/hips start feeling sore/tired and the shoes have started wearing out the first layer at the h**ls and on the soles, it's time to replace them. The next day, the soreness/easy fatigue is usually gone.

Okay, basketball last week took a toll. First really sloppy and lazy week of the year.

Bumping this, if for no other reason than to remind me to persevere.

Drive on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Virtual high fives, as I cannot spork you.
    I tried. Must spread around also.

Anybody got some recommendations for alternative exercises I can do to maintain my weight training progress in the absence of a weight room while traveling? I’ve got a spring break road trip coming up (teacher life ftw) and want to stay on track.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Anybody got some recommendations for alternative exercises I can do to maintain my weight training progress in the absence of a weight room while traveling? I’ve got a spring break road trip coming up (teacher life ftw) and want to stay on track.
    I don't know if this is what you were looking for:

http://reebokcrossfitone.com/wp-cont...ravel-WODs.pdf

This is what the CrossFit trainer recommended to me when I asked the same question.

You could try Fitbit Coach, formerly Fitstar (https://www.fitbit.com/fitbit-premium). This is a $40 a year app that you can customize based on your goals and initial questionnaire and requires no weights. You can choose a one off session or follow the planned sessions customized to your goals. Also, it allows you to rate each exercise after you have completed it. If it is too easy, the next time Fitbit Coach will add a more difficult exercise. If the exercise is too difficult the app will provide an easier exercise next time. I find it awesome for the money.

AM: 45 minute walk with Mrs. dd and 2 granddogs in the immediate past POTUS' neighborhood. The canines were well behaved .

PM: 50 minute walk with Mrs. dd and 2 granddogs along Lake Michigan.

I'll call it a tie between today's strolls and those taken with budwom and the much more lovely and vivacious Mrs. budwom along Lake Champlain a few years ago.

Rather thirsty now...

I have definitely plateaued at 204.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    AM: 45 minute walk with Mrs. dd and 2 granddogs in the immediate past POTUS' neighborhood. The canines were well behaved .

PM: 50 minute walk with Mrs. dd and 2 granddogs along Lake Michigan.

I'll call it a tie between today's strolls and those taken with budwom and the much more lovely and vivacious Mrs. budwom along Lake Champlain a few years ago.

Rather thirsty now...
    How well behaved was the immediate past POTUS?

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    How well behaved was the immediate past POTUS?
    We did not have the pleasure of meeting him.

Played soccer tonight for the first time this season.
    First anything athletic since breaking/spraining my wrist a month ago.
    Felt that way, too.

I jacked up my shoulder a couple of years ago and avoided the free weight, bench press. I'm back on and love the way I can make great progress on a weekly basis.

I have have been able to increase the weight every week.

Not the whole fitness picture, but I'm enthused.

the older you get, the longer it takes your body to repair itself...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese