Page 10 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    This thread does a good job of reminding me that I am a slow runner
    "Fast" and "slow" are relative terms in my mind. People have told me I run fast, but I certainly don't feel all that fast when I'm being passed.

One of my favorite motivational quotes - "Dead Last" is greater than "Did not Finish" which trumps "Did not Start."
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    "Fast" and "slow" are relative terms in my mind. People have told me I run fast, but I certainly don't feel all that fast when I'm being passed.

One of my favorite motivational quotes - "Dead Last" is greater than "Did not Finish" which trumps "Did not Start."
    My speed has been described as half-fast.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Great way of looking at it. I'm a fast runner relative to some people, slow relative to others. Unless you're a competitive racer (which I definitely am not), it makes little or no difference. Running is good. Jogging is good. Walking is good. It's ALL good.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Great way of looking at it. I'm a fast runner relative to some people, slow relative to others. Unless you're a competitive racer (which I definitely am not), it makes little or no difference. Running is good. Jogging is good. Walking is good. It's ALL good.
    I appreciate these sentiments too. Relatively speaking, I am quite slow...just now crossing the 10 min/mile threshold. But instead of focusing on the fact that I will not be winning any footraces anytime soon, I choose to emphasize things like:
    • My stamina has increased drastically since the start of my workout regimen; in January, I could barely maintain a run for 2-3 minutes straight. Now I'm up to a minimum of 16-18 minutes per run.
    • My recovery rate is faster...the walking intervals are getting shorter and fewer.
    • There's an undeniable difference in my waistline and general cardiovascular health. I just look and feel healthier.
    • You might be faster than me, but I'll still kick your [fanny] in Scrabble.

Glad to see so many people exercising more and seeing positive results!

I've been back to training for swimming for about a month now, and I've seen some real gains. I'm still easing into it, as the PT therapist really doesn't want me to undo what we're accomplishing. Last night, I was able to put in 800 yards (I would have done more if I had more time), and I was doing sets of 100, focusing on form -- high elbow, early catch, body rotation, kick, hand position, elbow up, body rotation, oh shoot - BREATHE! The first felt good, and it was at the best pace I've had by a second or two. But my first set is always my fastest, as I tire easily and wind up trying to over-focus on form.

Next set: a second faster. Woo! I won't get too happy, though -- fatigue will set in, right? Third set: 2 seconds faster than that! EACH of my sets were substantially faster than the previous. Went from 2:29 in the first set to 2:15* in the last -- fully 8 seconds faster than the fastest set I've done since returning! WOO HOO! I left the pool feeling GREAT. Maybe it was a good thing that I had to stop, because I stopped on a really positive note.

And the scale is down 3 pounds, too. And PT is working and I'm almost pain-free for the first time in 3 years. Dry needling is my friend right now!

*Talk about slow...this isn't going to set the world on fire. I wasn't the fastest in the pool, and I didn't do the longest distance. But I was IN the pool and trying to increase my physical fitness. There's a lot of truth to Dead Last > DNF > DNS.

Tomorrow will mark week 15 of my 16-24 week recovery from hip surgery. Prior to having surgery I had lost almost 40 pounds and was a little worried about putting some of it back on due to activity restrictions but I weighed in today just 0.7 pounds heavier than on the day of the surgery! The stationary bike was my best friend for a long time but over the last 3 weeks I have been able to mix in the elliptical and today I did over a mile for the first time. Only 18 days until a follow up appointment which is the first chance at being cleared for running/jumping and I'm so anxious to get back on the volleyball/basketball court. *fingers crossed*

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    My speed has been described as half-fast.
    Turn it into a beer name: Half-Fast Pebble Pounder ...

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Oddly enough, that’s what Mrs. OPK called our honeymoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Sounds like a Stone Brewing Company product.

Sounds like a Stone Brewing Company product.
    Maybe they can join forces with this outfit: https://boldrock.com/

Can there be a more flagrant hijack than to bring beer into a fitness thread?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Can there be a more flagrant hijack than to bring beer into a fitness thread?
    My guilt-free response:

https://www.shape.com/healthy-eating...stamp-approval

I have done nothing but cut Bojangles in the morning and replace it with a slimfast shake for two weeks. I drink a 6 pack every night. I have lost 11 pounds without exercising. This week. I'm doing shake for breakfast, healthy snack, shake for lunch, healthy snack, then jogging before dinner. Then 6 pack after dinner. Buckle up. I'm gonna bust any myth about beer being a barrier to losing weight.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I have done nothing but cut Bojangles in the morning and replace it with a slimfast shake for two weeks. I drink a 6 pack every night. I have lost 11 pounds without exercising. This week. I'm doing shake for breakfast, healthy snack, shake for lunch, healthy snack, then jogging before dinner. Then 6 pack after dinner. Buckle up. I'm gonna bust any myth about beer being a barrier to losing weight.

That's amazing. That's a LOT of beer. That's a minimum of 900 calories of ales every night, unless, of course you're drinking Michelob Ultras.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    ... flagrant hijack ...
    Did you say 'flapjack'?

That's amazing. That's a LOT of beer. That's a minimum of 900 calories of ales every night, unless, of course you're drinking Michelob Ultras.
    I am. (Ducks head). I switched for the calories. I still get a weeping willow or something when I go out to eat on the weekends. 😀

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I am. (Ducks head). I switched for the calories. I still get a weeping willow or something when I go out to eat on the weekends. 😀
    On first read, I thought you were saying you had 6 slimfast shakes every night, and I thought "What misery we subject ourselves to." Then I felt better when I understood you meant beer. But then worse again when you mentioned the kind of beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    On first read, I thought you were saying you had 6 slimfast shakes every night, and I thought "What misery we subject ourselves to." Then I felt better when I understood you meant beer. But then worse again when you mentioned the kind of beer.
    left hook lacey could enjoy ~3 real beer for the cost/calories of 6 Ultras .

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Yep. I don't consider myself a fast runner, having just gotten back into it, and having never done track or cross country past 6th grade, but when I'm out on the trails near me I have so far encountered all of two people over the age of 25 moving at a noticeably quicker pace than I am. (Actually, one of them wasn't moving faster than me but that's because he was practicing an exaggerated light foot strike barefoot, but he could clearly have dusted me with shoes on). I suspect a lot of us are "faster" than we think and there's a steep and wide bell curve where most of us are within a few minutes/mile of 75% of the running population. Don't let those guys who tell you you're a punter if you're not running 6 minute miles into your head - those are lifelongers who put in 30 miles/week.

I went poking around at a few race and fun run results pages recently to get a sense for how I might stack up with others in a timed run. I can tell you after some research that even in an "event" type of race - meaning not your suburban community Fun Run or local Turkey Trot, but races where there are hundreds of joggers in shorter runs tied to a half-marathon or something, and participants from a radius of beyond 25 miles - less than a quarter of the people over 30 years old in your average 10k are finishing in less than 50 minutes. If you can run 6 miles at 7:45/mile you'll finish around the top 15 percent; 9:00 miles will probably be in the top half in a group comprised primarily of people who run a lot and trained specifically for this race.

There's probably some truth to what I've seen from some experts, that if you're running 12 minute miles you'd probably get a better workout that puts a lot less stress on your body by just walking faster than normal. But for most people, if you're getting your heart rate raised for even 25 minutes several days a week to jog 2 and a half miles, that's a huge thing. And for the most part your calorie burn doesn't vary much based on your pace - it's the time spent exercising, and the basal metabolic rate increase, that matter more.

left hook lacey could enjoy ~3 real beer for the cost/calories of 6 Ultras .
    You make a valid point. (Hangs head in shame).