Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Luol Deng's Situation

The Lakers are basically paying Luol millions for doing nothing.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers...210-story.html

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post

SoCal
    This is a great summary of why I don't like the NBA. Teams fall over themselves to pay ridiculous contracts that they are trying to back out of within days. All of the salary cap influenced moves and the tanking to get good draft picks takes away from the game on the court. I appreciate that unlike the NFL, contracts are guaranteed, but there should be a way to prevent situations like this, as the goal should be to put the best product on the floor, and having Deng sitting around doing nothing clearly is not accomplishing that when countless inferior players are getting significant PT.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    This is a great summary of why I don't like the NBA. Teams fall over themselves to pay ridiculous contracts that they are trying to back out of within days. All of the salary cap influenced moves and the tanking to get good draft picks takes away from the game on the court. I appreciate that unlike the NFL, contracts are guaranteed, but there should be a way to prevent situations like this, as the goal should be to put the best product on the floor, and having Deng sitting around doing nothing clearly is not accomplishing that when countless inferior players are getting significant PT.
    1) No one forced Deng to play for the Lakers. They merely offered him the most amount of money. Also, everyone knew the Lakers were going to be in rebuilding mode a year ago. Why they signed Deng and Mozgov is a mystery.

2) Every 10 years or so, the NBA goes through a union change where a team can buy out a player. The Lakers already used this up.

3) Deng is making $18M per year for the next 2.5 years. I feel about as bad for him as a I do when a child of Bill and Melinda Gates gets a B+ on a test (which is to say, I couldn't care less).

4) Deng may be better than some of the "inferior" players, as you say. But he doesn't have more long-term potential. And given the Lakers are in rebuilding mode, it makes sense to player your young guys a lot.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I think it is also fair to note that Deng shot under 40% from the field last year and was a net negative on both ends of the floor. So I'm not even sure that it is fair to say that he is stuck behind inferior players at this point.

It is sad because he was absolutely one of my favorite players as a Bull: a tough, versatile guy always willing to take on the toughest wing defensive assignment and play as many minutes as you wanted of him. But, the years of being among the perennial leaders in minutes per game under Thibs appear to have caught up with him. He's 32, but with the wear-and-tear of a 35-36 year old.

I don't think the Lakers are suffering performance-wise because they aren't playing him. But even if they were suffering a bit, I understand it because Deng is not part of their future. He is a prime example of the down-side (from a team perspective) of the huge cap rise a couple of years ago. He'd have never gotten that deal in a tighter cap world, but the Lakers had money to burn and didn't have the foresight to realize that they should have started their rebuild rather than sign Mozgov and Deng. Still, good for Deng to get that contract when he could.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    1) No one forced Deng to play for the Lakers. They merely offered him the most amount of money. Also, everyone knew the Lakers were going to be in rebuilding mode a year ago. Why they signed Deng and Mozgov is a mystery.

2) Every 10 years or so, the NBA goes through a union change where a team can buy out a player. The Lakers already used this up.

3) Deng is making $18M per year for the next 2.5 years. I feel about as bad for him as a I do when a child of Bill and Melinda Gates gets a B+ on a test (which is to say, I couldn't care less).

4) Deng may be better than some of the "inferior" players, as you say. But he doesn't have more long-term potential. And given the Lakers are in rebuilding mode, it makes sense to player your young guys a lot.
    I don't think the main complaint is Deng's lack of PT in his post, he's complaining about teams tying up money in bad contracts which makes them struggle to field competitive teams (which you sort of alluded to in your last sentence of point 1).

I so wished he had hung around another year with Duke (the LSU loss still galls me). Anyway, it's a big problem for him, but that's life working for the man. He's got a huge silver lining. Still, glad he's handling is professionally, so props there. Magic's comments belayed his own intelligence (I can't imagine the Lakers ever getting good with his "guidance"). Hopefully another team will give Deng a chance next year after he's cut so he can go out more on his own terms.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    I so wished he had hung around another year with Duke (the LSU loss still galls me). Anyway, it's a big problem for him, but that's life working for the man. He's got a huge silver lining. Still, glad he's handling is professionally, so props there. Magic's comments belayed his own intelligence (I can't imagine the Lakers ever getting good with his "guidance"). Hopefully another team will give Deng a chance next year after he's cut so he can go out more on his own terms.
    The LSU loss was in what would have been Deng's junior year.

He left Duke because his family badly needed the money and now he is making mega-gobs of money for sitting still. I'm not seeing the problem.
    Anytime he wants to let the Lakers off the financial hook, I'm sure they'll oblige, but I doubt he'll want to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    He left Duke because his family badly needed the money and now he is making mega-gobs of money for sitting still. I'm not seeing the problem.
    Anytime he wants to let the Lakers off the financial hook, I'm sure they'll oblige, but I doubt he'll want to do that.
    Deng is currently mired in a "first world problem". Making as you said "mega-gobs of money" and not playing... I mean what's the alternative? Making the league minimum somewhere or slightly above it and playing 15 min a night or sitting at home making nothing? His problems could be worse. I respect that he wants to play and contributes where he can but it could be waaaay worse for Luol.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    He has earned $120MM in his career. He is owed $36MM over the next two. I bet the players association has some kind of rules about walking away from that kind of owed money. But, he's already rich beyond his dreams. Time is running out on his ability to play basketball at the highest level, you can't put a price on that.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post

SoCal
    Trying to figure where the victim is in this. I don't see one.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    He has earned $120MM in his career. He is owed $36MM over the next two. I bet the players association has some kind of rules about walking away from that kind of owed money. But, he's already rich beyond his dreams. Time is running out on his ability to play basketball at the highest level, you can't put a price on that.
    Sure you can! It's $36 million!

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Sure you can! It's $36 million!
    But he's in California. He would have been better resigning with the Heat. Florida state taxes are sweet.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Why not trade Deng somewhere and offer to cover part of his contract with a new team? Deng gets paid and gets to play out his career, and the Lakers get some relief from his contract. Everybody wins. Is that not allowed?
    "There can BE only one."

The win-win situation would be for the Lakers to cut Deng, and allow him to sign with another team willing to pay him current market value for this services, and then offset what he receives under that contract against what the Lakers owe on the remainder of the contract. Deng gets to play, the Lakers open up a roster spot and other players are not harmed, since the player (Deng) is not giving back money.

I assume there is a reason why teams/players cannot do this type of deal, since it doesn’t happen. Is that because of the salary cap?
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Why not trade Deng somewhere and offer to cover part of his contract with a new team? Deng gets paid and gets to play out his career, and the Lakers get some relief from his contract. Everybody wins. Is that not allowed?
    The Lakers would need to give away a good asset (like the Cleveland 1st rounder) to have someone take on Luol's massive contract.

Luol is a good player, but he's not worth any where near $18M a year. He certainly was, but not anymore.

I wouldn't, for instance, want him on the Celtics. We've seen decreasing stats with Luol for the last 4 years. Not sure how serviceable he can actually be right now.

The Lakers would need to give away a good asset (like the Cleveland 1st rounder) to have someone take on Luol's massive contract.

Luol is a good player, but he's not worth any where near $18M a year. He certainly was, but not anymore.

I wouldn't, for instance, want him on the Celtics. We've seen decreasing stats with Luol for the last 4 years. Not sure how serviceable he can actually be right now.
    I'm not advocating you find someone to take his whole contract; I agree that's not going to happen. But would you take Luol for $3-4M a year (hypothetically)? And wouldn't it be worth it to the Lakers to get $3-4M and a roster spot open, even if they have to pay him $14M/year to play somewhere else? Especially since the alternative is paying him $18M and holding down a roster spot.

Maybe it's $1-2M; maybe it's $5-6M. My point is he does have some value on the open market.

It's like a stock that tanked after you bought it. You can hold it for 2 years, after which it is worthless, or you can try to unload it at the current market price and take a loss. Lakers get nothing for Deng if they let him walk in 2 years, and they're still out $36M.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    I'm not advocating you find someone to take his whole contract; I agree that's not going to happen. But would you take Luol for $3-4M a year (hypothetically)? And wouldn't it be worth it to the Lakers to get $3-4M and a roster spot open, even if they have to pay him $14M/year to play somewhere else? Especially since the alternative is paying him $18M and holding down a roster spot.

Maybe it's $1-2M; maybe it's $5-6M. My point is he does have some value on the open market.

It's like a stock that tanked after you bought it. You can hold it for 2 years, after which it is worthless, or you can try to unload it at the current market price and take a loss. Lakers get nothing for Deng if they let him walk in 2 years, and they're still out $36M.
    Ah. What you say makes more sense.

My push back is the Lakers don't want to win this year. They are content testing out their new and young players. Now, if the Lakers want to sign two max players, buying out Deng's contract makes a ton of sense. But it's not going to happen, at the very minimum, until the summer. And if you're the Lakers, why would you do that?

Quote Originally Posted by BeachBlueDevil View Post
    Deng is currently mired in a "first world problem". Making as you said "mega-gobs of money" and not playing... I mean what's the alternative? Making the league minimum somewhere or slightly above it and playing 15 min a night or sitting at home making nothing? His problems could be worse. I respect that he wants to play and contributes where he can but it could be waaaay worse for Luol.
    Heh, when I posted originally, I thought of saying he'd traded a third world problem for a first world one...thought someone might get edgy about that, but it's true.
    All that's happened is that a team badly misjudged how long he'd be a really good player...happens in baseball, too, when free agents get 10 year deals...(hello Mr. ARod)...

Ah. What you say makes more sense.

My push back is the Lakers don't want to win this year. They are content testing out their new and young players. Now, if the Lakers want to sign two max players, buying out Deng's contract makes a ton of sense. But it's not going to happen, at the very minimum, until the summer. And if you're the Lakers, why would you do that?
    Gotcha. In that scenario, I could see that paying $14M now to pick up a new player doesn't sound like a great trade-off. And if you think you might try to use him next year as a veteran, okay fine. Even if you think you can get more for Deng on an expiring contract easier than Deng on a 2 year deal, I could see holding him. Regardless, his contract is a sunk cost, and the Lakers will pay $10+M regardless of whether Deng stays or goes.

If they aren't going to eventually move him for something, even if it is for less than his contract value, then it's no different financially to just cut him.

If I were the GM, I would offer him a buyout. If he truly wants to play somewhere, he can take something on his final year to get his release. Or he can do nothing and collect $18M for sitting in the locker room.
    "There can BE only one."