Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    This came up at dinner over the weekend, and my wife and one of her friends did some quick math and called shenanigans. They made a pretty compelling argument that no way, no how did that happen.
    Maybe if the rumor was Storm Thurmond I’d believe it.

Quincy is about to turn 85. Ivanka is 36, and got married somewhere around 29. (Counting on Wikipedia for these).

I don’t see The Donald approving of a “date” between a mid-60’s+ guy and his daughter. And I don’t see Ivanka risking getting cut off to do it.

Just sayin’

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    What the hell happened to this thread?
    It aged almost a week following the magazine article quoting seventy something Quincey Jones. I meant to add that GHarr might get about 12 MPG at the off guard spot early but his minutes will shrink drastically in Conference play when K shortens the rotation to about 6 1/2 to 7 deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    On Harrison's great songs..He had many more than three. My Sweet Lord. Taxman. While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Something. Here Comes The Sun. If I Needed Someone. I Need You. What Is Life. Think For Yourself. All Things Must Pass. I, Me, Mine. It's All Too Much. And there were more..
    Well done, sir! Fabulous George songs all. And you didn’t even mention possibly his two best: ‘Within You Without You’ and ‘The Inner Light’. Groundbreaking stuff. Mixing rock n roll, pyschadelia and Far East influence. Genius.

Oh, and I almost forgot. ‘Blue Jay Way’ might be the single greatest song to listen to repeatedly while on LSD or mushrooms. At least that’s what I’ve heard. Amazing song.

What the hell happened to this thread?
    What are you talking about? ThIs thread is groovy.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    It aged almost a week following the magazine article quoting seventy something Quincey Jones. I meant to add that GHarr might get about 12 MPG at the off guard spot early but his minutes will shrink drastically in Conference play when K shortens the rotation to about 6 1/2 to 7 deep.
    Yoko needs more burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Who has ever said this? For a guy who sang lead vocals on about half the songs his band pumped out? A man who famously didn't like the sound of his own voice and tried to alter it electronically and stylistically throughout his career? He's generally regarded more highly as a lead singer than Freddie Mercury? Robert Plante? Axl Rose? Janis Joplin? Roger Daltrey? Mick Jagger?
    Whoever said John Lennon is one of the greatest vocalists in popular music history, you ask?
    Oh, none other than the popular music bible, Rolling Stone. They have him ranked as the 5th best vocalist in popular music history, that’s all. The only vocalists listed ahead of him are Sam Cooke, Elvis, Ray Charles, and Aretha Franklin. Read it and weep, pal:

There was a tremendous intimacy in everything John Lennon did, combined with a formidable intellect. That is what makes him a great singer. In "Girl," on Rubber Soul, he starts in this steely, high voice: "Is there anybody going to listen to my story. . . ." It's so impassioned, like somebody stepping from the shadows in a room. But when he comes to the chorus, you suddenly realize: He's talking directly to her. When I heard this, as a young teenager, it hit the nail on the head. It embodied the feelings I was living with every day — completely burning with sexual desire, with almost a regret at being so overpowered.

He had a confidence, a certainty about what he was feeling that carried over into everything he sang. One of the things about John Lennon and the Beatles that went by a lot of people was how unusual it was for people in their class, from Liverpool, to be catapulted into the higher reaches of entertainment and society, without disguising their working-class roots and voices. It was such an audacious thing to do, not to change who they were. That was the heart of John Lennon's singing — to say who he was and where he was from.

He didn't sing very loud. I got that sense when I was learning "Oh My Love," on Imagine. That song has to be done quietly, which turns out to be a feat of strength. It's ironic — to sing high and quiet, you have to be physically strong. In "I'm Only Sleeping," on Revolver, he sounds sleepy, like he's half in bed as he sings. Or "I'm So Tired," on the White Album — there is an irritableness to it.

These songs live in you because of the remarkable facility of the singer to inhabit those moments and portray them. "Imagine" is a masterful performance. He inhabits that idea — our innermost longing for a world in which peace is real — when he sings it. And it is sung with fearlessness, without erring on either side — polemic or sappy. It's wonderful to have an idea expressed so well that everybody can sing it. That's a song he made you want to sing.

The more he developed as a writer, he was able to show his voice in various contexts. There is a thrilling aloneness in the way he sings "A Day in the Life." His singing on John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band is to the bone. He willed himself to express his pain: "Mother/You had me/But I never had you." It's a crushing depiction that stays with you forever.

Double Fantasy is less tortured — there is a lot of happiness there. The singing is just beautiful, perhaps more the product of singing at home, to his son. John Lennon went through a lot to have the life he had. He gave up some things to get others. And he died before a lot of those themes could be examined.

But it was a stunning thing — he always told the truth. He felt he had the right to talk about this stuff, and that gives his voice a singular identity. It's not the chops of a heralded singer — no one goes on about his actual technique. He went right to what he felt, what he had to say.
    Last edited by Steven43; 02-12-2018 at 08:11 PM.

I just have to note that not everyone takes the Rolling Stone as seriously as you do. And while "top X of whatever" lists are always debatable it is fair to say the Rolling Stone has put out some plain bad ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I just have to note that not everyone takes the Rolling Stone as seriously as you do. And while "top X of whatever" lists are always debatable it is fair to say the Rolling Stone has put out some plain bad ones.
    Okay, that’s fine. Then who is your source for popular music history? Rolling Stone is completely tied in with popular music and has been for five decades. When they conduct music polls they consult music historians, musicians, and many others who work within the music industry. If you have a better source for establishing general consensus on all things popular music I’d welcome it. I’ll be waiting. For a long time.

I'm sorry Steven but you lost me when you called the Beatles "far and away the crown jewel of music history" and then dismissed an attempt to inject Beethoven and Mozart into the discussion.

I think even the experts at Rolling Stone would agree that Beethoven and Mozart were part of music history.

At least a consensus would.

And for the record, I'm rather fond of the lads from Liverpool. After all I was 13 when they made their first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show. So, I know what the fuss was all about.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Agreed, and bad/questionable reviews.

Although I am a longtime fan of The Who, RS's awarding of 5 stars to It's Hard in 1982 was inexplicable. I note it's since been revised downward ... to 2.5.

Of course there's no accounting for taste, but in terms of gauging the pulse of the listening audience, well, they whiffed on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I'm sorry Steven but you lost me when you called the Beatles "far and away the crown jewel of music history" and then dismissed an attempt to inject Beethoven and Mozart into the discussion.

I think even the experts at Rolling Stone would agree that Beethoven and Mozart were part of music history.

And for the record, I'm rather fond of the lads from Liverpool. After all I was 13 when they made their first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show. So, I know what the fuss was all about.
    For crissakes, I was taking about contemporary popular music from the 60’s to today. Mozart and Beethoven aren’t part of this discussion and never were.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    For crissakes, I was taking about contemporary popular music from the 60’s to today. Mozart and Beethoven aren’t part of this discussion and never were.
    1976 falls within that time frame, so I'm just going to leave this right here...

Based on his Wikipedia entry, Walter Murphy is an interesting guy. He also did a classical-disco fusion song called "Mostly Mozart." His early work was used by Doc Severinsen and The Tonight Show band. He worked with Rick James, Isaac Hayes, and Mike Post on an episode of The A-Team. And he shares an Oscar nomination with Seth MacFarlane.

There sure seem to be a lot of absolutes in a post or two upthread, on a matter that is by definition personal opinion.

I think the musicianship of the members of the Beatles is pretty good. But a long way from the best. The key was that they blended so well, it fit together extremely well. That is great song crafting, as opposed to great technical playing.

I doubt that any Beatle individually would be in my top 10 for their individual instruments. But they are clearly one of my top five bands in the post- Bill Haley era.

For example, since someone is using Rolling Stone lists as the Bible, top 25 guitarists in their order:

Jimi Hendrix
    Eric Clapton
    Jimmy Page
    Keith Richards
    Jeff Beck
    B.B. King
    Chuck Berry
    Eddie Van Halen
    Duane Allman
    Pete Townshend
    George Harrison
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Albert King
    David Gilmour
    Freddy King
    Derek Trucks
    Neil Young
    Les Paul
    James Burton
    Carlos Santana
    Chet Atkins
    Frank Zappa
    Buddy Guy
    Angus Young
    Tommy Iommi

They have GHarr at 11. But no way IMHO he is better than Santana, Gilmour, Zappa, SRV, Les Paul, Albert King, Chet Atkins, or Trucks. And this top 25 does not even include Jerry, Prince, Knopfler, Steve Cropper, Mick Taylor, or Joe F’n Walsh. I would have GHarr around the bottom of the top 20 at best, probably closer to 25.

Jimmy Herring may be a top five guitarist IMO, although most have never heard him play. Leo Kottke, Jorma Kaukonen, and Michael Hedges too in that same category.
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 02-13-2018 at 07:20 AM.

And for the record, my #1 guitar player of all time is Mississippi John Hurt. I would kill to be able to do what he did on a six string.

If we are really breaking down musicianship and vocal talent, I would like to see a match up breakdown of any band that bests Led Zeppelin at more than one position.

There sure seem to be a lot of absolutes in a post or two upthread, on a matter that is by definition personal opinion.

I think the musicianship of the members of the Beatles is pretty good. But a long way from the best. The key was that they blended so well, it fit together extremely well. That is great song crafting, as opposed to great technical playing.

I doubt that any Beatle individually would be in my top 10 for their individual instruments. But they are clearly one of my top five bands in the post- Bill Haley era.

For example, since someone is using Rolling Stone lists as the Bible, top 25 guitarists in their order:

Jimi Hendrix
    Eric Clapton
    Jimmy Page
    Keith Richards
    Jeff Beck
    B.B. King
    Chuck Berry
    Eddie Van Halen
    Duane Allman
    Pete Townshend
    George Harrison
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Albert King
    David Gilmour
    Freddy King
    Derek Trucks
    Neil Young
    Les Paul
    James Burton
    Carlos Santana
    Chet Atkins
    Frank Zappa
    Buddy Guy
    Angus Young
    Tommy Iommi

They have GHarr at 11. But no way IMHO he is better than Santana, Gilmour, Zappa, SRV, Les Paul, Albert King, Chet Atkins, or Trucks. And this top 25 does not even include Jerry, Prince, Knopfler, Steve Cropper, Mick Taylor, or Joe F’n Walsh. I would have GHarr around the bottom of the top 20 at best, probably closer to 25.

Jimmy Herring may be a top five guitarist IMO, although most have never heard him play. Leo Kottke, Jorma Kaukonen, and Michael Hedges too in that same category.
    Interesting list. But yeah, they’re not looking at strictly technical ability. With guitar you can find no name guys on YouTube with better technical ability than many of the guitarists on this list. The Rolling Stone guitarists list is about a combination of things such as memorable riffs, cultural impact, influence on other guitarists, ability to fit within a band concept and lift the group to a higher level, live performance, ‘wow’ factor, and yes, technical ability, along with a mulititude of other things. It’s an imperfect science to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    It’s an imperfect science to be sure.
    Ahhh... So there IS a degree of preference? Not a world wide concensus voiced by Rolling Stone?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

Pffft:

But wait, there's more...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Pffft:

But wait, there's more...

And more (personally, my favorite):

Sorry, I couldn't find one from Rolling Stone. Or, from the Rolling Stones, either.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.