Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Quincy Jones has lost his mind

While I have much respect for his body of work, what's up with this? You look at any listing of who played on Beatles' records, and if it wasn't an orchestra instrument, John-Paul-George-Ringo played the vast majority of the instruments. And you don't gig for years in clubs and not become a d**n good player. Not to mention it's hard to write songs without a good understanding of music. Funny that he will criticize the Beatles when most of his famous acts didn't play an instrument at all.

It's hard to dispute his personal recollections, but I just listened to the Donna Summer song and don't get the plagiarism at all.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.3806371

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Jones has been on a bit of a personal bashing tour of late, and it's not to becoming of a guy that would otherwise have an amazing career. Last week I read that he thinks Taylor Swift sucks, especially as a song writer, which goes against the grain of most criticism. To each his own, but you'd think that a person of his stature might know it's tactful to keep some of those thoughts to himself; it's not like he'll gain anything from sharing them other than turning some people off.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Jones has been on a bit of a personal bashing tour of late...
    Yep, he is even bashing his friends. For example, he slammed Hillary pretty good.

The good news is he knows who killed JFK. If only he had proved it to the U.S. Government during the 60's.

re: The Beatles

Not saying Jones is right or wrong, but if you watch the documentary, The Wrecking Crew, you realize how little of the songs some of your favorite bands from the 1960's actually played. Including the Beach Boys, Byrds, and a host of others.

The Wrecking Crew is an awesome doc of some of the best studio musicians ever.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post

Not saying Jones is right or wrong, but if you watch the documentary, The Wrecking Crew, you realize how little of the songs some of your favorite bands from the 1960's actually played. Including the Beach Boys, Byrds, and a host of others.

Yes, no doubt, there were much better instrumentalist in the music world. However, Brian Wilson was a true musical genius, regardless of how well he played an instrument.

In regards to instrumentalist, Jones is still totally whacked. Jones recently said that Paul Allen is comparable to Jimi Hendrix in guitar playing. IMO, Jimi was the GOAT!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Yes, no doubt, there were much better instrumentalist in the music world. However, Brian Wilson was a true musical genius, regardless of how well he played an instrument.

In regards to instrumentalist, Jones is still totally whacked. Jones recently said that Paul Allen is comparable to Jimi Hendrix in guitar playing. IMO, Jimi was the GOAT!
    Agree with you about Brian Wilson. It was his idea to use The Wrecking Crew instead of his own band on the iconic Pet Sounds. He kew his band couldn't hack his perfection mania but The Wrecking Crew could.
    ~rthomas

Agree with you about Brian Wilson. It was his idea to use The Wrecking Crew instead of his own band on the iconic Pet Sounds. He kew his band couldn't hack his perfection mania but The Wrecking Crew could.
    Yep, which is why Brian Wilson tried to get Glenn Campbell to permanently join his band. Glenn was a great instrumentalist!

Not sure where you guys are going with this. The point was about the Beatles. I'm 99.99% sure The Wrecking Crew never played on any Beatles records.

And if you look at who they played for, it's almost exclusively a bunch of artists who did not play any instruments, and certainly didn't have a band.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Not sure where you guys are going with this.
    I'm supporting your thread title, "Quincy Jones has lost his mind".

I like the Beatles, though I don't think any of them are/were top-level instrumentalists. I agree with Quincy on Taylor Swift. From seeing her in years past, I also don't think that's her real, unaltered voice on her latest hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    I like the Beatles, though I don't think any of them are/were top-level instrumentalists.
    IMO, George Harrison was a "top-level instrumentalists".

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I was just about to post the same thing. Hell, dude learned how to play the sitar. And regardless of Sir Paul being "top-level" or not, he's a great showman.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I was just about to post the same thing. Hell, dude learned how to play the sitar. And regardless of Sir Paul being "top-level" or not, he's a great showman.
    Sir Paul is also one of the great melody writers in music history. George is criminally underrated as a guitarist in my view, mainly because he was rarely flashy or indulgent to the extent that so many of the generally accepted "guitar gods" have been.

I agree with you about The Wrecking Crew. I had never heard of the film until about five years ago when Leon Russell was playing a small venue/radio show in Boulder. The host was trying to engage a recalcitrant and hearing impaired Leon Russell into talking about the incident in the Wrecking Crew when he had a few drinks and confronted the powerful Phil Spector.

Great stuff. A really good back story into some of the great music of the past.

The overall interview is wild, well worth the read. You may never look at Marlon Brando and Richard Pryor the same way again.

All of the Beatles were good musicians. Paul McCartney was as good a guitar player as George was, even played lead on several songs. And, he is one of the top bass players ever in rock music. George was vastly under rated, as was Lennon, who had a unique way of double strumming his rhythm parts. Ringo was a great drummer.
    For Jones to knock the Beatles as poor musicians is lunacy.
    Brian had the tracks for Pet Sounds with the Wrecking Crew recorded (except for vocals) when the guys got back off tour.

Is this what's called a bitter old man?

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Is this what's called a bitter old man?
    Devildeac can offer a better synonym.

Devildeac can offer a better synonym.
    Is this who/what you had in mind?

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/24905/

Or this?

Or this?

"And he's fair and he's true and he's boring as hell
    And he'll go to the grave as an angry old man"

I'm pretty pissed off now...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Let’s just assume he’s right and declare victory for the Stones in the Beatles vs. Stones thread .