View Poll Results: Who was Duke's Man of the Match in their loss to St. John's today?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wendell Carter

36 56.25%
  • Marvin Bagley

0 0%
  • Gary Trent

13 20.31%
  • Grayson Allen

0 0%
  • Trevon Duval

6 9.38%
  • Marques Bolden

6 9.38%
  • Jack White

3 4.69%
  • Javin Delaurier

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MOTM: Duke vs. St. John's (Feb 3, 2018)

Who was Duke's Man of the Match in their loss to St. John's today?
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Yes! I got the first vote in!!!! About the only thing that's gone right.
    Voted for Carter.

Wendell Carter for his solid defense on top of 14 points and 15 rebounds.
    Bob Green

Wendell was the only guy who showed up for Duke, but Shamorie Ponds was the MOTM.

Bolden - only one that played like the game was gonna be on his resume.

I just can’t do it.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    I just can’t do it.
    yeah, nobody deserves MOTM for that game.

I voted for Duval. 5-13 from the field, 0-2 from the foul line (with a minute to go and down 1) and 4 TOs to 5 assists. Admittedly it was a tough call. Allen was 1-7 from the field, while Bagley had 6 turnovers. So it was a total team effort here. But the point guard should be clutch at the finish. And I know Hurley had lots of turnovers as a freshman, but Hurley came back (and back and back). I don't think it is unreasonable to expect senior performance from players who only stay one year.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    I voted for Duval. 5-13 from the field, 0-2 from the foul line (with a minute to go and down 1) and 4 TOs to 5 assists. Admittedly it was a tough call. Allen was 1-7 from the field, while Bagley had 6 turnovers. So it was a total team effort here. But the point guard should be clutch at the finish. And I know Hurley had lots of turnovers as a freshman, but Hurley came back (and back and back). I don't think it is unreasonable to expect senior performance from players who only stay one year.
    That's absolutely ridiculous. More talent doesn't correlate to game experience and decision making. Duval dribbling into double teams is proof of that.

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere. I'm avoiding most of the post-game thread, still kinda devastated.

Where was AOC?

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere. I'm avoiding most of the post-game thread, still kinda devastated.

Where was AOC?
    Wasn't part of the rotation tonight. Just Bolden & Jack White off the bench most notably, with a few token DuLaurier minutes. Apart from the usual speculation some folks have that AOC might not be showing enough in practice or that he might still be recovering from being sick, I suspect K didn't feel comfortable throwing him in a game against a quality defense that forces turnovers.
    Last edited by KandG; 02-03-2018 at 04:48 PM.

I voted for Bolden. I did not watch the second half at all (had to go out)--I didn't miss much good, I guess. My Marques vote is for the previous game because I did not get to vote for him then. MOTM (Bootsy Ponds) for this game doesn't matter.

OK, buddy at least has a reason for voting Duval. What about the other two votes? Are you guys nuts?

I voted for Trent, but it was a close call with Carter.

Went with Carter because he seemed to play the hardest. He really competed on both ends of the court and made some very good blocks. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    OK, buddy at least has a reason for voting Duval. What about the other two votes? Are you guys nuts?
    Obviously you all missed the sarcasm in my vote. I also pointed out why Allen and/or Bagley could have received this "honor". This was a total team effort. Nobody played a complete game. I think K's post-game comments support my displeasure. I expect point guards to step up and make crucial foul shots. I expect players who think they are lottery picks to play intelligently. Maybe not fair to pick on Duvall. Actually I usually don't vote for MOTM in losses--I don't think there should be such a thread, because it implies that an individual's efforts may be more important than the team result. When the team loses everybody lost.

I'll end my rant soon. I am a season ticket holder (long time) and longer term fan. I'm back every year. I hope to raise my "game" every year. Duke basketball was much more fun when we had four year players. That time I guess has passed. Having said that, developmental issues were understandable. It was fun to watch Hurley change from a turnover waiting to happen to the man who got in Laettner's face in the championship game. As a fan, I believe that if we only have one year, it should be one of effort, passion, and achievement. Too many times I think guys are playing for the name on the back of the jersey, not on the front.

Too many times I think guys are playing for the name on the back of the jersey, not on the front.
    I don't see that with this year's team. They're team oriented but just still figuring it out.

I was going to vote for whoever stepped up and won the game for us. I’m not voting for anyone.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I was going to vote for whoever stepped up and won the game for us. I’m not voting for anyone.
    Great attitude.

Duval for me because he was great for at least 5 min.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Voted for Wendell because he played like he actually cared.