Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: St. John's 81, Duke 77 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here. Remember, no venting or bashing of Duke players or staff.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Embarrassing. Hope we play better Thursday.

I don't know if this crosses the line in bashing the staff. But this team didn't look at all prepared for this game.

And another near no-show for Grayson. Senior season not looking great.

Free throws

I actually have always liked that we play a short bench, and still do, but I don't think it makes sense to play our backup guards ZERO minutes when our starting backcourt is playing this badly.

Too many turnovers, too many missed free throws, too many times getting beat to loose balls, rebounds, etc.

So sick of ticky tack outside d fouls on guards while the o guy gets to stuff arm people. So many push offs it's ridiculous they called 3 fouls on our big guys trying to get position. Fine if those are fouls if they call when the st John's guards do the same.

The team did not appear to have an abundance of energy this afternoon. Grayson Allen has to be more involved in the offense.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by JD for Three! View Post
    Free throws
    Turnovers

They made all the hustle plays.

16 Offensive Rebounds for them and 18 Turnovers for us. Can't beat anybody doing that.

It takes 40 minutes to win a game. Another disappointing performance. The whole team needs to step up.

1) out hustled to several 50-50 balls in the second half after St. John's missed shots. They then beat Duke to at least a half dozen 50-50 balls.

2) turnovers. Duke was so sloppy with the ball. Way too many unforced turnovers.

3) free throws. 20-29 from the line ain't gonna cut it. And at least one miss was the front end of a 1-1 late in the second half.

The game at UNC Thursday will be fun.

Did we just get bounced in the NCAAT in the 2nd round? Cuz it sure feels like it.

I don’t know why they didn’t send a double at Ponds every time he had the ball at the top of the zone. Get the ball out of the hands of the only guy scoring.

Oh ya, making a free throw would have helped too.

Needless to say, this is a really bad loss against a really bad team. Garbage production from our senior leader again. The two FT misses at the end by Duval was the backbreaker IMO.

They had a lot of lucky shots go down. We always seem to struggle with that style of game. Grayson hit a big one at the end but he has got to put up more shots. I think he had only taken four shots before that late three. We had a chance to pull out an ugly win but free throws killed us once again.

This team has the makings of a round of 32 loss if they don't figure it out. Their talent alone is winning them games. Have to put in the extra effort if they want to be great.

Missed free throws, turnovers, inability to get entry passes into the post, poor guard play (except for Trent) and most importantly, no fire.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Too many turnovers, too many missed free throws, too many times getting beat to loose balls, rebounds, etc.
    St. John's recovered a number of back-breaking long 50/50 balls in the second half. Several times the shot clock was down to nothing, they shoot the ball, it clanks and they manage get it back. Some of these were just dumb luck, and some perhaps an effort issue.

St Johns is one of the worst shooting teams in the country but of course today they’re 50% from deep.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc