Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    For those interested the game should be available now to watch on replay at watchespn.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    For those interested the game should be available now to watch on replay at watchespn.
    Yes, it is. I went back and re-watched the fourth quarter last night. It was still hard to believe the second time.

This team can play some serious offense. Justin Guterding has developed into a complete player and a couple of his assists were perfect passes. He sees the field very well and it should be fun to watch him play with Joe Robertson this year. Peter Conley also provides an option that I wasn’t expecting going into the season. He shoots with a cannon.

Baptiste’s control of the face offs kept a lot of pressure on the D, but they improved later in the game and the 7 caused turnovers helped even things out. I am optimistic that the coaching staff willl develop one or two face off guys as the season progresses, but I am not sure that this rotating goalie approach is going to work and one of the announcers made the comment last night that Coach Danowski is looking for either Fowler or Uppgren to step up and win the job. I have a feeling that Danny may do that—because he’s a Fowler.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    You can also just see the last five Duke goals here:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/lacrosse-m...ls-score-seven

Quote Originally Posted by DST Fan View Post
    Yes, it is. I went back and re-watched the fourth quarter last night. It was still hard to believe the second time.

This team can play some serious offense. Justin Guterding has developed into a complete player and a couple of his assists were perfect passes. He sees the field very well and it should be fun to watch him play with Joe Robertson this year. Peter Conley also provides an option that I wasn’t expecting going into the season. He shoots with a cannon.

Baptiste’s control of the face offs kept a lot of pressure on the D, but they improved later in the game and the 7 caused turnovers helped even things out. I am optimistic that the coaching staff willl develop one or two face off guys as the season progresses, but I am not sure that this rotating goalie approach is going to work and one of the announcers made the comment last night that Coach Danowski is looking for either Fowler or Uppgren to step up and win the job. I have a feeling that Danny may do that—because he’s a Fowler.
    Baptiste is a faceoff savant, but Duke tortured him during the fourth quarter...he won a series of faceoffs but then was unmerciifully harassed into a bunch of turnovers and near turnovers.
    I bet he was a tired hombre last night.

Being the optimist that I am, I will choose to believe that in the face of unrelenting pressure from the Duke D, Denver broke in the fourth. The Pios first five possessions ended as follows: pass intercepted, moving screen violation, pass out of bounds, pass out of bounds, over and back violation.

Conley was quietly brilliant all night. Two of his three goals were with his off hand. And he created the winning goal, by reversing the direction of ball rotation from clockwise to counter-clockwise. That had the Pios’ defense scrambling, and tore open the seam through which Guterding threaded the pass to Robertson.

Tough night for Giles-Harris, but Walker is going to be a tough night for a lot of defenders for the next three years. That guy is for real.

Notice how the third midfield disappeared in the first tough game of the season.

That was fun!

Don’t miss cuse and Albany today at 2:00 Eastern on ACC Network Extra.

Outstanding game to watch, even before the comeback. Most impressive thing about the Duke team to me was the clearing game. Goalies were immediately finding an outlet pass and we didn't seem to have any trouble clearing. Hopefully this was from a new confidence on Duke's part and not a sign of Denver giving up the clears. I don't understand the game well enough to know for sure, but have cringed the last few years when Duke struggled to clear.

Holy moly: Albany 15, Syracuse 3.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Being the optimist that I am, I will choose to believe that in the face of unrelenting pressure from the Duke D, Denver broke in the fourth. The Pios first five possessions ended as follows: pass intercepted, moving screen violation, pass out of bounds, pass out of bounds, over and back violation.
    The Duke D on set possessions the first three quarters was pretty pedestrian, I thought. As budwom mentioned, we seemed to change tactics the fourth quarter to put a ton of pressure on Baptiste after won faceoffs. I think that rattled him, and it seemed to affect the rest of the team as well. The one play where he took the ball all the way down, around the goal, and back to midfield where he got nudged over the line was truly bizarre and seemed to summarize the play in general that quarter. I think Duke just created the template for other teams on how to handle faceoffs with Denver.

True enough, but there is more than one way to skin this particular cat. I haven’t had time to read the play-by-play, but I think I remember a number of occasions where Jax won the faceoff, but continued pressure from Duke’s wings forced a turnover before the Dolphins could get into their offense.

I also loved what Smith did after a couple of his wins: he stayed on and ended up setting picks behind the net or at GLE to try and force the defense to switch. The outcome of Guterding being guarded by a FOGO is, I think, predictable—even if it’s Baptiste.
    Props to you, this was a prophetic post vis a vis the fourth quarter of the Denver game.

Albany Looked Tough

Holy moly: Albany 15, Syracuse 3.
    After the first 10 minutes where Syracuse scored the first goal, Albany got cranking with their high powered offense. This includes All-American Conner Fields and #1 National Recruit Tehoka Nanticoke. This was Albany's first game and took a while to get going. The game was 4-1 at the half but just accelerated from there. Nanticoke is a 6'3" and 235 attackman, with a youtube highlight reel of shots (not unlike Zion Williamson) who scored 5 in this game. The goalie Colarusso was really good stopping many shots when Syracuse finally got one. Albany has a date with Maryland and one with Yale, but otherwise should dominate the remainder of their schedule.

Larry
    Devilhorse
    Albany and Duke Alum

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    After the first 10 minutes where Syracuse scored the first goal, Albany got cranking with their high powered offense. This includes All-American Conner Fields and #1 National Recruit Tehoka Nanticoke. This was Albany's first game and took a while to get going. The game was 4-1 at the half but just accelerated from there. Nanticoke is a 6'3" and 235 attackman, with a youtube highlight reel of shots (not unlike Zion Williamson) who scored 5 in this game. The goalie Colarusso was really good stopping many shots when Syracuse finally got one. Albany has a date with Maryland and one with Yale, but otherwise should dominate the remainder of their schedule.

Larry
    Devilhorse
    Albany and Duke Alum
    A game which could prove interesting is the Vermont game...Albany is clearly better, but Vermont has a very very good team this year that few know about.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    Albany got cranking with their high powered offense. This includes All-American Conner Fields and #1 National Recruit Tehoka Nanticoke.
    That's one heck of a one-two punch. This Albany team should be very fun to watch this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    That's one heck of a one-two punch. This Albany team should be very fun to watch this season.
    You may want to invest in an America East TV subscription. ESPN has the Scoobies on their schedule exactly zero times.

Duke faces Penn at 3:00 this afternoon and ESPN3 is broadcasting the game

Duke Lacrosse Twitter is saying that the faceoff is delayed until 3:25.

I'm just started watching on ESPN3, Duke is up 7-3.
    Bob Green

Up 7-4 at the half. Duke has out-shot Penn 22-11 but about 5 shots have hit the pipes. Face-offs continue to be an issue and Penn has won 8 of 12.

End of 3rd Quarter: Duke 7, Penn 5. Our offense was MIA in the 3rd.
    Bob Green

Face off? Without the ball you cannot score, and we are not adequate there, so why bother? Can this problem be turned around?