Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiger Woods

Tiger Woods

makes the cut, barely, but is back in the news and I'm glad he's back.

I look forward to watching his play after 4PM tomorrow

GO DUKE!!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I'm stoked. Birdies the last hole to make the cut.
    Will he win? Not a chance, but that is a taste of true old school Tiger fashion to play clutch with everything on the line and sink it. He was amazing for a reason; it's nice to see a flash of it again.

Will he win? ...Maybe there's less than a slim possibility in that "not a chance".
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Trying to stretch out the last vestiges of your youth? I rely on Brady for that. When he is done I will have zero links to any semi-relevant athletes.

Shouldn't this be merged with the thread about all of his other comebacks?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Shouldn't this be merged with the thread about all of his other comebacks?
    Not only NO!, but HELL NO!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    TW had a decent third round yesterday. He could have a respectable finish with a repeat performance today.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Vegas has tigers odds of winning the Masters at 15/1. They gave only 3 golfers better odds to win than tiger. DJ, Rory, and Jordan speith.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Vegas has tigers odds of winning the Masters at 15/1. They gave only 3 golfers better odds to win than tiger. DJ, Rory, and Jordan speith.
    That's nuts. He's back, but he's not in championship form by a long shot. Hell, he barely made the cut for this tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    That's nuts. He's back, but he's not in championship form by a long shot. Hell, he barely made the cut for this tourney.
    I'm thinking they adjust it after T. Pines and he slides down some. He's been at 15/1 for a couple of weeks because of the distance he's been getting. There were lots of rumors among other golfers that he looked healthy and was getting his confidence back. I guess Vegas still has a hard time betting against him. What other player, in any sport, garners that much respect from the oddsmakers? Look at his last 6-7years, Tiger Woods is the only person that would be 15/1 to win the masters, while he's barely making the cut at Torrey Pines.

With 5 holes to play Tiger is T-22. For as little golf as he's played I'd say this has to be very encouraging to him. If anything I'd say this will only help to fuel the fire that he will complete to win at Augusta. You have to remember just how little he's played competitively and to have a top 30 finish in a real tournament and not a small 20 man field is pretty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    With 5 holes to play Tiger is T-22. For as little golf as he's played I'd say this has to be very encouraging to him. If anything I'd say this will only help to fuel the fire that he will complete to win at Augusta. You have to remember just how little he's played competitively and to have a top 30 finish in a real tournament and not a small 20 man field is pretty impressive.
    True. They may actually improve his odds after today. Is he playing again before the Masters? If he gets a top 10-15, finish, tiger mania is back!

I think it's safe to say that Woods will never again be the Woods of old. But I have seen nothing in this tournament to suggest he can't compete and win at majors. The key for him is whether or not he can maintain his health. The skills still appear to be good enough to win (not dominate, but win). It's a matter of being able to hold up physically. Playing 72 holes of very competitive golf this week, and getting better as the tournament went on, is certainly a good start in that regard.

From an entertainment perspective, I hope he becomes relevant again. He certainly has a deplorable past off the courses, but the sport is just more interesting when Tiger is good.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    From an entertainment perspective, I hope he becomes relevant again. He certainly has a deplorable past off the courses, but the sport is just more interesting when Tiger is good.
    I don't really consider Tiger's past deplorable anymore. Considering all the things that have come out recently with movie producers, actors, politicians, teachers, college administrators, and doctors of olympic athletes, and on and on...what Tiger did is a yawner comparatively.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    I don't really consider Tiger's past deplorable anymore. Considering all the things that have come out recently with movie producers, actors, politicians, teachers, college administrators, and doctors of olympic athletes, and on and on...what Tiger did is a yawner comparatively.
    Doesn't make it right. That's a pretty low bar, unfortunately.

Some idiot yelled "Get in the hole!" during Tiger's putting stroke. The rest of the crowd needs to start pummeling these morons. Even when they yell it after the swing is complete.

http://golfweek.com/2018/01/28/video...utting-stroke/

He's tied for 27th at the moment, his best finish in a long time!

Quote Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
    He's tied for 27th at the moment, his best finish in a long time!
    Plenty of big names behind him. Hopefully he stays healthy this year, because as CDu said, the game is more interesting when he's in contention.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Some idiot yelled "Get in the hole!" during Tiger's putting stroke. The rest of the crowd needs to start pummeling these morons. Even when they yell it after the swing is complete.

http://golfweek.com/2018/01/28/video...utting-stroke/
    Maybe happening to Tiger will start the pendulum back.

I am still amazed at the number of "fans" will pay money to get into a tournament while having so little regard for golf etiquette, and compete to be the first to shout after each shot, SMH.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    True. They may actually improve his odds after today. Is he playing again before the Masters? If he gets a top 10-15, finish, tiger mania is back!
    He is scheduled to play again in two weeks, and again after that the following week. We will see if the body allows, but this was a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    I may be old-fashioned, but I consider cheating on your wife (and mother of your two kids) deplorable. There are certainly worse things people have done. That doesn’t mean his conduct wasn’t deplorable. And I say this as a fan of Tiger (on the golf course).

This is a great play off. Day and Noren going until Monday.
    ~rthomas