Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I've been pondering Jurassic World 2. I doubt there is a chance it is not in our top 5, but, I wonder. Jurassic World could have sucked, and it would have made oodles of money anyways. Time and anticipation does that. See Star Wars TFA. (Not saying TFA sucked, but it would have made tons even if it had.)
    So now we don't have the clamoring years long wait, and basically we once again are on an island full of dinosaurs with people in peril. (Apparently the dinos are in peril, too.) Out of curiosity, I checked the bank for Jurassic Park 2. That movie sucked, and while it made money, it suffered a big drop at the box office from the first one. A $128M drop.
    When I see the trailer for JW2, I get a big "been there, done that" feel. It's not like they have any amazing new special effects they are showing off, and I already feel bad for all the doomed and drowning dinos. Unless I hear that the reviews are awesome, I'm pretty sure I'll be watching it on my couch in the winter.
    It will be near impossible to not include as a top 5 pick, but oh it's gonna be tempting. Never know...it might get stung.
    I'm strongly leaning toward only doing a top 3, not a top 5... to make it a little tougher. Aside from Avengers, I'm not sure any of the top films are a lock to be top 3... whereas I think the 5 tops are a lock to be top 5.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    whereas I think the 5 tops are a lock to be top 5.
    I don't know...I think #5 might be in question. It seems that Solo is not getting any buzz from it's trailer.

Granted, even if half the folks that saw TLJ see Solo, it's still top 5.

I'm strongly leaning toward only doing a top 3, not a top 5... to make it a little tougher. Aside from Avengers, I'm not sure any of the top films are a lock to be top 3... whereas I think the 5 tops are a lock to be top 5.
    You could go the other way and do a top 7. Or you could have people list their top 3/5/7 in order...

It has none, zero, nada chance of being in the top 5 (or even the top 10) films at the boxoffice this summer, but here is a clip from the upcoming Wes Anderson film Isle of Dogs that is almost certain to be the most amusing movie clip you will see all day.

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Marvel has just announced that Infinity War will be released a week earlier than expected, on April 27th, not May 4th. This will require us to open the contest a week earlier than expected.

Not that it would have been a player in our contest, but The Rock's video game film Rampage probably takes a significant boxoffice hit due to this. It releases on April 20th and figured it would have almost 2 full weeks before being trampled by Infinity War... now it barely gets 5 days of release.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Not that it would have been a player in our contest, but The Rock's video game film Rampage probably takes a significant boxoffice hit due to this.
    That looks terrible. Pacific Rim 2 also looks terrible. (Which is too bad because I kinda liked the first one.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

And y'all thought Jumanji looked like a winner?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I wish I had!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Ha! That is EXACTLY what I was thinking.

Good point. I have to admit that Jumaji was a really pleasant surprise. Went into the movie with the "taking one for the team/family" attitude and come out saying "that was great".

That looks terrible. Pacific Rim 2 also looks terrible. (Which is too bad because I kinda liked the first one.)
    The only question is, when is Atlantic Rim 2 coming out?

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Late March, so it won't be in our contest. Not that it would have mattered. When I see the trailer, I think Power Puff Girls meets Transformers.

Late March, so it won't be in our contest. Not that it would have mattered. When I see the trailer, I think Power Puff Girls meets Transformers.
    I was joke...but goshdarn it! It's not a joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs09YM10v5Y

HA! I missed the "ATLANTIC" part. Yeah, that looks bad too, but it's supposed to be bad!

Is this a satire like Airplane?

If not, is it authorized by the makers of Pacific Rim?

Otherwise, we have some serious copyright/trade dress issues. This clearly looks like a sequel to Pacific Rim, right down to the "2."

Doesn't look like there was ever an "Atlantic Rim 1," so why use "2" unless you were trying to convince the public that it is a sequel?

Of course, as an internet release, I doubt there was serious damage to the Pacific Rim franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Is this a satire like Airplane?

If not, is it authorized by the makers of Pacific Rim?

Otherwise, we have some serious copyright/trade dress issues. This clearly looks like a sequel to Pacific Rim, right down to the "2."

Doesn't look like there was ever an "Atlantic Rim 1," so why use "2" unless you were trying to convince the public that it is a sequel?

Of course, as an internet release, I doubt there was serious damage to the Pacific Rim franchise.
    1. No, it's The Asylum, who in general create "mock-busters". Although, they did have a runaway original hit with their Sharknado series. They essential make really bad movies, but have realized that the market for bad movies is large enough that if your budget is low enough, you make money!

2. Yes, and no. Copyright issues are pretty tough to win, though they have lost a few.

2. Oh yes, there was indeed a first Atlantic Rim and you can watch it if you have Amazon Prime.

... there was indeed a first Atlantic Rim and you can watch it if you have Amazon Prime.
    This is funny. They pump out a low-budget "Atlantic Rim" the same two years (2013, 2018) a big-budget "Pacific Rim" is released. Similar genre, plot, and style. Coincidence?

Asylum is known for producing titles that can easily be confused. They make Transmorphers film that are released the same time as Transformers. They made Lord of the Elves the same time as Lord of the Rings. They made Snakes on a Train; the Da Vinci Treasure; Pirates of Treasure Island; Alien vs. Hunter; Sunday School Musical; 30,000 Leagues under the Sea; and on and on.

They claim they have never lost money on a film.

Shows how important it can be to have a really good director like Guillermo del Toro. Pacific Rim was ridiculous action schlock, but by golly if it wasn't really good ridiculous action schlock. Imagine how awful that film would have been with Michael Bay at the helm.

Should we even bother including Infinity War?

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/17/1...rse-box-office

Ticket presales running far ahead of Black Panther and Black Panther reportedly causing folks to get even more hyped for Infinity War.