Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke v Wake (Tue, 1/23, 9pm, ACCNtwk Extra) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Duke travels to Winston-Salem Tuesday night to take on the Deacs at their place. Late game and it looks like it will only be streaming - no cable channel. More to come.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

I’m sure others will do much more meaningful anylisis as we get closer to the game. Mine starts by asking who in the league office did Wake piss off? Back to back home games are good, but Virginia and Duke (rested) is a big ask for any team.

Hope Bolden is back and we keep building momentum into the harder parts of the schedule.
    The ceiling is the roof

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Duke travels to Winston-Salem Tuesday night to take on the Deacs at their place. Late game and it looks like it will only be streaming - no cable channel. More to come.
    No, this will be on the ACC OTA Network again like the last game, although on fewer stations around the country.

TV stations and free, unrestricted stream:
    http://theacc.com/sports/2017/12/9/a...bb-180123.aspx

Blackout Map:

Black:
    -On TV via station from list linked above
    -Online via link posted above

Green:
    -On TV via ESPN College Extra (DirecTV 789, AT&T U-Verse 615, Verizon FIOS 822)
    -Online via ACC Network Extra section of WatchESPN

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    No, this will be on the ACC OTA Network again like the last game, although on fewer stations around the country.

TV stations and free, unrestricted stream:
    http://theacc.com/sports/2017/12/9/a...bb-180123.aspx

Blackout Map:

Black:

Green:
    -On TV via ESPN College Extra (DirecTV 789, AT&T U-Verse 615, Verizon FIOS 822)
    -Online via ACC Network Extra section of WatchESPN
    Thank you awhom! My local channel does indeed carry some games as indicated on your list. However, they never list the games in their schedule. Vs. Wake last time, I recorded 2 xfiles reruns and yes, it was really Duke. Couldn't have found it without you!

Hoping Grayson puts in more han one basket this time, and hope we go zone to slow down Crawford.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon View Post
    I’m sure others will do much more meaningful anylisis as we get closer to the game. Mine starts by asking who in the league office did Wake piss off? Back to back home games are good, but Virginia and Duke (rested) is a big ask for any team.

Hope Bolden is back and we keep building momentum into the harder parts of the schedule.
    Uva won by just 10. Any road game is tough. This will not be easy, though I hope to be wrong - maybe we turned a corner at Miami

I’m headed to the Joel to cheer on the Blue Devils tomorrow night. Wake has historically played is pretty well here and as always the crowd will be pumped. You may remember last year we needed a heroic performance from Luke Kennard to save us from the jaws of defeat down 10 in the last couple of minutes. Should be fun, although I hate the 9 o’clock starts!
    Last edited by Newton_14; 01-23-2018 at 02:04 PM.

Games like this make DirecTV worthwhile, at least for me (even though everyone hates all cable and satellite companies, of course).
    Great for football, too. It used to be you had to buy a special package each year, e.g. Full Court, to get these games...

Classic Trap Game

From my view, this is a classic trap game:
    • Team and fans might be looking ahead to UVA game
    • Recent win over Wake fuels over-confidence
    • Mid-week road game in a hostile environment
    • While successful, Duke is still VERY young

I think this will be a difficult game. Wake is very motivated to get the notch on their belt that they missed out on against UVA. We will need to be focused on this game, and not any other upcoming games. This should be a good indicator of our young team's maturity.

I still expect us to win, but don't be surprised if it's close.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post

I think this will be a difficult game. Wake is very motivated to get the notch on their belt that they missed out on against UVA. We will need to be focused on this game, and not any other upcoming games. This should be a good indicator of our young team's maturity.

given that we've lost to two mediocre teams on the road already, hopefully we're past the air of invincibility that would cause us to overlook a road game against a mediocre opponent.

That said, the defense has been extremely impressive the past four games. If duke continues to play at that level tomorrow night, we'll win going away.
    1200. DDMF.

Wake always seems to play us tough in W-S. I expect a fired-up effort from them, and we will need to match it in order to win. Our talent clearly is superior but I expect this to be a tough game. They will not roll over.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post

Yep, beating a team in Cameron is obviously not the same task as beating them on the road. I don't know if a comeback win @Miami is enough to make me confident about an ACC road game yet. We have a chance to be on a 5-game winning streak heading into the marquee game on Saturday, but make no mistake, @Wake is the second-toughest game of this 5-game stretch. Let's see how the boys perform and whether the defensive improvement continues.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Yep, beating a team in Cameron is obviously not the same task as beating them on the road. I don't know if a comeback win @Miami is enough to make me confident about an ACC road game yet. We have a chance to be on a 5-game winning streak heading into the marquee game on Saturday, but make no mistake, @Wake is the second-toughest game of this 5-game stretch. Let's see how the boys perform and whether the defensive improvement continues.
    i mean...that's not saying much when 4 of the 5 games are against the 2 worst teams in the league who are a combined 1-13.

If we fail to win the regular season this year, I think we lose any right to complain about "but so and so had an easier schedule" in the future.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    Vs. Wake last time, I recorded 2 xfiles reruns and yes, it was really Duke. Couldn't have found it without you!
    The truth is out there and awhom will lead you to it!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    i mean...that's not saying much when 4 of the 5 games are against the 2 worst teams in the league who are a combined 1-13.
    Agreed, but it's still factually true. I guess my point is this game is a clear step up from Pitt at home, @Pitt, and Wake at home. And in the other game during this stretch, we trailed by 13 with 8 minutes left. Let's see what happens @Wake.

If we fail to win the regular season this year, I think we lose any right to complain about "but so and so had an easier schedule" in the future.
    Well, it depends. If we go 15-3 and UVA goes 16-2 (which is what happened in 2015), for example, I would still applaud our effort. It would not be a shameful performance that removes our right to speak about schedule strength in seasons past and future.

In general, if an opinion can be backed up, I'm okay with people voicing it. There have been seasons when teams benefitted from an easier conference schedule than Duke. 2017-18 is not one of them, however.

Wake has some talented kids, however they don't close very well.

Moore is a load, but seems to run out of gas at the end of games and both Woods and Crawford while very good players have serious lapses in judgement during crunch time.

Some better coaching by Manning could fix some of these issues as he could make better use of Saar in order to save Moore for crunch time and he could use some tough love on his talented, but wild child duo of Woods and Crawford.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Agreed, but it's still factually true.
    Tyler Hansbrough and Michael Jordan combined have 6 NBA titles between them! Being factually true isn't usually a good defense of an argument.

Ultimately, I agree. wake has given decent games so far at home. I'm just not a fan of trumping up a 5 game winning streak when 3 of the games might as well have been shooting monkeys in a fish barrel. Sure, winning is great, but the quality of the teams has on average been significantly less than what we will run into the last month.

combined record through first 7 games: 11-37
    combined record of last 7 games: 24-20

So lets go and be sure we beat wake...because it only gets harder from here...and we're going to need to be near perfect to take the #1 seed...outside duke on saturday, the chances of UVA dropping another one go down significantly...when they're good, they rarely lose late season games to teams outside about the top 20. Maybe florida state or miami can get them.
    1200. DDMF.

Tyler Hansbrough and Michael Jordan combined have 6 NBA titles between them! Being factually true isn't usually a good defense of an argument.

Ultimately, I agree. wake has given decent games so far at home. I'm just not a fan of trumping up a 5 game winning streak when 3 of the games might as well have been shooting monkeys in a fish barrel. Sure, winning is great, but the quality of the teams has on average been significantly less than what we will run into the last month.

combined record through first 7 games: 11-37
    combined record of last 7 games: 24-20

So lets go and be sure we beat wake...because it only gets harder from here...and we're going to need to be near perfect to take the #1 seed...outside duke on saturday, the chances of UVA dropping another one go down significantly...when they're good, they rarely lose late season games to teams outside about the top 20. Maybe florida state or miami can get them.
    Our signals have gotten crossed somewhere, my friend. My point was not to "trump up a 5 game winning streak" but to warn that this game could be tough and is a step up from three of our recent wins.

I agree that the schedule hardens from here.

Vegas has Duke by 9.5.

Let's just win by 1.5, stay healthy, and be ready if somebody tries to throw Grayson into the bench this year

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Vegas has Duke by 9.5.

Let's just win by 1.5, stay healthy, and be ready if somebody tries to throw Grayson into the bench this year
    Gonna be tricky to win by 1.5...