View Poll Results: Which of these is your favorite Duke player?

Voters
154. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bobby Hurley

140 90.91%
  • Jay Bilas

14 9.09%

Favorite Player Poll- Hurley vs. Bilas

We get to another tough round of 32 match. #5 seeded Bobby Hurley versus #28 seed Jay Bilas.

Through his stellar work as a commentator, Jay is perhaps the most visible Dukie around among those who have retired from the game. His even-handed and intelligent analysis of college hoops gives Duke a very positive image. Bobby is a legend and arguably the greatest PG in college basketball history.

A piece of me wants this to be a close one, but I have a feeling it will be a bit of a blowout.

--Jason "lets get busy!!" Evans

Someone tell Jay his clock is getting cleaned!!!

--Jason

Poor Jay, having to go up against Hurley in the first round. We all love Jay, but I suspect Hurley will be a juggernaut in these polls.

Since I know that Jay in the past has read DBR, wonder if he'll take part in the vote?

Quote Originally Posted by monkey View Post
    Since I know that Jay in the past has read DBR, wonder if he'll take part in the vote?
    From the looks of it, even Jay voted for Bobby!

I Come in Peace

If the vote were for best body of work for minor supporting roles in the B-movie/action genre, hey Jay gets my vote. Great turn as The Good Alien in "I Come in Peace." Career went down hill from there. Rumor has it he has shown up in a few ESPN ads posing as a Tar Heel. He was also drafted by the Dallas Cowboys in one of the later rounds IIRC.

Given his statement about Brodhead, I was tempted to vote for Jay. Also, anyone who can work with Dickie V and not lose sanity must be a gem.

Then reality kicked in.

Hurley in a landslide.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    From the looks of it, even Jay voted for Bobby!
    Is Bilas Jaymf7? Otherwise I don't see any handles that indicate bilas.

On another note, Hurley is one of 3 all time favorites. I need a hurley jersey.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    I think Jay would have a tough time no matter who he was matched with. Not as popular as others from the 86 team, and I suspect he is perceived by many of the voters as being too tough on Duke as a commentator.

Rumor has it that Jay (a.k.a. Arnold) is taking names and is planning to open up multiple cans of "Whoop %$#%$#%$#" on those that don't vote for him.

-EarlJam

P.S. I am on the "whoop-%$#%$#%$#" list.

Greatest Point Guard Ever?

Hurley is one of my favorite players of all time and there was always a certain comfort level when he was leading the team. He is the all time assists leader, was a tough defensive player, was an above average offensive player and, most of all, was a winner.

For all of these positives, I believe that refering to him as the greatest PG in college basketball history is a real stretch. In fact, I would put Phil Ford (3-time All ACC 1st team and POY) and John Lucas (3-time ALL ACC 1st team) ahead of him when just considering ACC guards. Both were great players and were better than Hurley offensively.

Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    Hurley is one of my favorite players of all time and there was always a certain comfort level when he was leading the team. He is the all time assists leader, was a tough defensive player, was an above average offensive player and, most of all, was a winner.

For all of these positives, I believe that refering to him as the greatest PG in college basketball history is a real stretch. In fact, I would put Phil Ford (3-time All ACC 1st team and POY) and John Lucas (3-time ALL ACC 1st team) ahead of him when just considering ACC guards. Both were great players and were better than Hurley offensively.
    I said "arguably the greatest PG in college hoops history." I think the mere fact that he holds the assist title, the most significant measure of a PG, as well as a couple national titles (including one where he was the MOP of the FFour) means there is an argument there.

Personally, I would not make the argument as I agree with you that Ford and probably a few others are likely better than Bobby, but I think the argument can be made.

--Jason "does that make any sense?" Evans

Bobby is the best college PG I have ever seen. Just amazing.

The Hoya board really gets in contortions when they talk about Bilas. They absolutely love Jay, but any complimentary post is always prefaced with "I hate Duke with a passion, but . . . Stupid.

My vote: Bobby.

I think even Jay would vote for Bobby here.

No contest

I love Jay Bilas. He's truly an extraordinary BB commentator and analyst, BUT as a BB player at Duke, there is no way that he excels Hurley. But...go BILAS. May his broadcasting career continue to bloom. BUT go Hurley. Truly one of Duke's great players.

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    I love Jay Bilas. He's truly an extraordinary BB commentator and analyst, BUT as a BB player at Duke, there is no way that he excels Hurley. But...go BILAS. May his broadcasting career continue to bloom. BUT go Hurley. Truly one of Duke's great players.
    At this point, I counter with Hurley's after BB career in horse racing.

PAGING DEVILHORSE: Any Hurley Horse News for this weekend's Breeder's Cup in Monmouth?

Cheers,
    Lavabe

This poll is now closed.

Congrats to Bobby Hurley for a huge blowout win. 90+% of the vote is always impressive. Next up for Bobby is CWell. Emotions may run high in that vote!

--Jason "sad to see Jay go." Evans