Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks for the database link, I'll at least be able to have high level W-L statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by Latta6970 View Post
    If Duke has been average at best for 25 years the University itself deserves most of the blame. Even Ray Charles could see they have given up on fielding a good / great football team and competing every Saturday. And I'm not even talking about spending Butch Davis type money on a coach. Truth be told I think Coach K fell into their lap, ended up being a great coach and the basketball program something special or they wouldn't care about that either. I'm proud Duke focuses on teaching their student athletes and prepares them for a non athletic career. I'd just like to see them commit the school to being as good on the field in ALL sports as they are in the classroom.
    3-4 wins is an improvement, calling it satisfactory is selling the program, players and fans short. With that mind set, why even try? I'm not talking national championship here. But if Duke University's goal is to win 3-4 games a year and leave it at that then this site will always be DBR and never DAR! (Duke Athletic Report!)
    Just to be clear, you are aware that Duke has one of the best athletic departments in all of college, right? We are extremely competitive (in national title hunt) in several non-revenue sports every year like golf, tennis, lacrosse, and soccer. Our baseball and football teams have been bad for a while now but we really excell in several other sports.

I really take issue with the notion that we lucked into Coach K and would not otherwise be committed to basketball. Duke's basketball history was rich and quite succcessful before K arrived on campus.

-Jason "all that said, I want to be on the record as NOT BEING AN ALLEVA FAN!" Evans

Were any of our players killed, eaten, and/or robbed during Saturday's game?

No, not sure sure how the kittens, puppies, and kids did...

Oh I'm Aware

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Just to be clear, you are aware that Duke has one of the best athletic departments in all of college, right? We are extremely competitive (in national title hunt) in several non-revenue sports every year like golf, tennis, lacrosse, and soccer. Our baseball and football teams have been bad for a while now but we really excel in several other sports.

I really take issue with the notion that we lucked into Coach K and would not otherwise be committed to basketball. Duke's basketball history was rich and quite successful before K arrived on campus.

-Jason "all that said, I want to be on the record as NOT BEING AN ALLEVA FAN!" Evans
    Jason I'm aware of how good Duke is in Lacrosse, Tennis, Golf, Soccer etc. Duke's first national championship was a soccer championship in 1986. I remember it well because I remember a UNC grad sportscaster saying it should ease the sting of losing to Louisville in the 1986 championship game. (Sorry, glad they won....but losing to Louisville eats at my craw to this day!) And I'm proud of Duke's other athletic programs (male and female) for excelling on the court / field. That being said when Duke wins a golf national title, is there a huge bonfire on the quad? When Duke wins a soccer title most of us find out about it in the paper the next day. (For the record losing in the title game in lacrosse several years back before LAX, rubbed me raw.)

When Foster left a lot of fans and alums thought they should have gone after a coach with a name and a proven record. And those same fans and alumni wanted Coach K gone after his 1st two years. Thank God Coach K ended up becoming the legend he did, but it was still a gamble on Duke's part that ended up being the winning lotto numbers. In my opinion Duke has taken the same "gamble" when hiring football coaches since Spurrier. (And Spurrier was a gamble too.) And for whatever reason those gambles have resulted in a bunch of scratch offs that didn't even win another ticket. Duke has a rich history in Football too Jason, just like basketball. I for one however have only heard stories and wasn't alive to see it. (A bowl win anyway.)

I'll give you two more examples only of the light blue (yuk!) variety. When Guthridge (indirectly responsible for the fall off) retired and they couldn't get Williams (a proven winner) they hired Coach Doh! Now in my opinion, the guy was a good coach and if it hadn't been for the mutiny might have won a national title. But an 8-20 season happened and they kicked him to the curb for Williams. Since Mack Brown left UNC has hired two "gambles" and their program isn't in much better shape than Duke's now. I'm not saying Davis is going to turn it around and they will win the national title in five years. (God I hope not!) But I'll bet you they start having winning seasons and most of all get some 4 and 5 star recruits!

I assure you I know of Dukes success before Coach K, I was a Duke fan before he ever arrived. And being raised in a household where if you didn't pull for Duke you didn't eat I know about their rich basketball AND football history before I was born. (My dad was at the Durham Rose Bowl, why I use the program cover as my icon!) I'll put it this way. You aren't going to win the Daytona 500 with a blind mute crew chief and three model T Fords. I like Coach Roof a lot and I hope he turns things around and pulls in more high caliber recruits like Vince. But if he can't Duke needs to find someone who can and pay them what they are worth, plain and simple. Stop panning for diamonds and go buy a nice rock.

Jason??

"Just to be clear, you are aware that Duke has one of the best athletic departments in all of college, right? We are extremely competitive (in national title hunt) in several non-revenue sports every year like golf, tennis, lacrosse, and soccer. Our baseball and football teams have been bad for a while now but we really excell in several other sports."

Jason, just to be clear, it appears you would feel the same way if we were horrible in men's BBALL, but great in women's track. Stating that Duke has one of the best athletic departments in all of college is absurd (as viewed from the fan base) when you consider that only 4 sports really draw any attention (Football, Mens BBALL, Baseball and Women's BBALL). We have been really horrible in 2 of those for a long time. A typical school will have 50,000+ at a football game and probably 100 at a women's golf match. I can see a fan support difference in that stat.

I have to admit that I really had hopes for this game. FSU was looking particularly week this year with its lone decent win coming against Alabama (I think they beat Colorado too). To be fair, I think the defense did ok, limiting the noles to mostly fieldgoals except in the 1st quarter. Im surpised that the offense under performed. FSU does not have the defense VT does and duke at least got two touchdowns on them. Maybe the Georgia Tech game will be better.

Quote Originally Posted by firealleva View Post
    "Just to be clear, you are aware that Duke has one of the best athletic departments in all of college, right? We are extremely competitive (in national title hunt) in several non-revenue sports every year like golf, tennis, lacrosse, and soccer. Our baseball and football teams have been bad for a while now but we really excell in several other sports."

Jason, just to be clear, it appears you would feel the same way if we were horrible in men's BBALL, but great in women's track. Stating that Duke has one of the best athletic departments in all of college is absurd (as viewed from the fan base) when you consider that only 4 sports really draw any attention (Football, Mens BBALL, Baseball and Women's BBALL). We have been really horrible in 2 of those for a long time. A typical school will have 50,000+ at a football game and probably 100 at a women's golf match. I can see a fan support difference in that stat.
    baseball and women's bball don't have fan bases anywhere in the ballpark of men's bball and football. have you been to a baseball game? there is a smattering of fans in the neighborhood of (or probably less than) that seen at a soccer or lax game. women's bball only fills up cis several times a year and most of the people in attendance go for free (you can't really call it a sell-out when most people aren't paying for their tix). i would argue that lax has the 3rd biggest fan base. i believe that the lax final 4 this year had more people in attendance than any other sport than football games at major schools.

Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    baseball and women's bball don't have fan bases anywhere in the ballpark of men's bball and football. have you been to a baseball game? there is a smattering of fans in the neighborhood of (or probably less than) that seen at a soccer or lax game. women's bball only fills up cis several times a year and most of the people in attendance go for free (you can't really call it a sell-out when most people aren't paying for their tix). i would argue that lax has the 3rd biggest fan base. i believe that the lax final 4 this year had more people in attendance than any other sport than football games at major schools.
    Depends on the school.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Depends on the school.
    no it doesn't. the discussion is about duke.

Thanks Wander - I thought the discussion was based on truly great athletic departments. Of course Duke draws more to a lacrosse game than a baseball game - our baseball program previously led by JA's buddy Hiller has been horrible.

The 4 sports nationally with by far the most attention are the 4 I listed - check the number of national broadcasts for each. A very limited number of programs nationally even have a lacrosse team. As a long time fan of football, I feel like I am an in a distinct minority on this board - as most of the DBR posters don't believe success in football is particularly relevant.
    Last edited by BluBones; 10-30-2007 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Lack of Civility

Quote Originally Posted by firealleva View Post
    (portions redacted for lack of civility and an attack on a fellow poster)

As a long time fan of football, I feel like I am an in a distinct minority on this board - as most of the DBR posters don't believe success in football is particularly relevant.
    Ummm, way to twist my words around. Where did you get that I ever said that?!?!!?

You and a couple other posters in this thread are accusing me of some strange stuff. Go back a re-read my post. I was responding to someone who appeared to say that Duke does not care about any athletics and only got lucky when we hired Coach K or we would stink at basketball too. My response was to show that Duke is among the best in the nation at several non-revenue sports and has what is widely regarded as one of the stronger athletic programs in the nation (as indicated by our very strong showings in the former Sears Cup for the past several years).

What I find very strange is that you would chose to distort and attack a poster who is also a moderator. I mean, do you want to earn infraction points?

--Jason "I do not take having my words twisted lightly" Evans
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 10-30-2007 at 07:18 AM.

jason, shouldn't you have said that you don't take lightly having your words twisted? the way you wrote it could be interpreted as a request for a heavy twist.