Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

This Week in the ACC: 1/15-1/21

After a big cluster around the middle last week, we can already see some top/bottom separation now: 8 teams at or above .500, pretty much all who you'd expect (and Georgia Tech); 7 teams below, again pretty much all who you'd expect (except maybe FSU and VT). Lots of matchups among that top group this week - plus our now not quite annual chance to see whether the ACC's longest streak of futility can finally end (go Tigers!).

Monday
    [30]Miami (2-2) (+2) hosts [4]Duke (3-2) (7:00, ESPN)
    [79]Boston College (2-3) (+4) hosts [28]Florida State (2-3) (7:00, ESPNU)

Tuesday
    [9]North Carolina (3-2) (-6) hosts [15]Clemson (4-1) (7:00, ACCNE)
    [22]Notre Dame (3-2) (-5) hosts [33]Louisville (3-1) (7:00, ESPN2)
    [46]Syracuse (1-4) (-15) hosts [202]Pittsburgh (0-5) (9:00, ACCNE)

Wednesday is dark

Thursday
    [102]Georgia Tech (3-1) (+10) hosts [3]Virginia (5-0) (8:00, ACCNE)
    [65]NC State (2-3) (-5) hosts [84]Wake Forest (1-4) (8:00, ACCNE)

Friday is dark

Saturday
    [48]Virginia Tech (2-3) (-1) hosts [28]Florida State (2-3) (12:00, ESPN2)
    [9]North Carolina (3-2) (-15) hosts [102]Georgia Tech (3-1) (2:00)
    [4]Duke (3-2) (-25) hosts [202]Pittsburgh (0-5) (4:00, ACCNE)
    [15]Clemson (4-1) (-5) hosts [22]Notre Dame (3-2) (4:00, ESPN)

Sunday
    [65]NC State (2-3) (+2) hosts [30]Miami (2-2) (12:00, ACCNE)
    [33]Louisville (3-1) (-9) hosts [79]Boston College (2-3) (12:00, ACCNE)
    [84]Wake Forest (1-4) (+9) hosts [3]Virginia (5-0) (6:00, ESPNU)

ACC Non-Conference Record: 151-38
    ACC v. Power 6: 29-21
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

ACC home teams are now 27-9 in conference play ... that's 75.0 percent, which matches the all-time ACC record, set in 1980. Home teams have been over 70 percent just once since then (73.6 in 2003).

Overall, home teams are at 63.3 percent in ACC play over the years. It's early, but this is looking like a historic year for home teams.

Note: Just think where we'd be without Pitt (0-3 at home)!

I forgot to add ... this could be the most significant week for Clemson basketball since Larry Nance led the 1980 Tigers to the NCAA Elite Eight.

First, on Tuesday, they have a chance to end their long futility in Chapel Hill ...

Then, on Saturday, they have a chance to land the highest rated recruit in Clemson history.

Now, unlikely both events go their way, but if it happens, what a week for the Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I forgot to add ... this could be the most significant week for Clemson basketball since Larry Nance led the 1980 Tigers to the NCAA Elite Eight.

First, on Tuesday, they have a chance to end their long futility in Chapel Hill ...

Then, on Saturday, they have a chance to land the highest rated recruit in Clemson history.

Now, unlikely both events go their way, but if it happens, what a week for the Tigers!
    Cheering wildly for Tiger Tuesday! And I'd be fine with Williamson choosing Clemson too.

LOL. IIRC, they even lost there during the 8-20 D'oh season, so, I hold out no hope for a Clemson win at the dump this week either. (But, I'd be ecstatic if proven wrong.)
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

In another thread, there was a poster despairing of catching Virginia in the ACC race -- the Cavs are off to a 5-0 start.

But in many ways, Virginia's fast ACC start is an illusion. The Cavs have played FOUR home games. They have a good road win (at Virginia Tech), but that's the only ACC win away from JPJ.

Almost all ACC teams (except Pitt) are crushing it at home.

Tonight, Duke became the first ACC team to get two road wins -- even if one of them is a gimmie against Pitt. On the other hand, the win at No. 25 Miami probably ranked as the best ACC road win so far -- ahead of Virginia at VPI, Louisville at FSU and UNC at Notre Dame (which would be more impressive if the Cheats didn't barely beat the Irish with Notre Dame's two best players out).

BC held home court against FSU (81-75). That makes ACC home teams 28-10 at this point.

BC held home court against FSU (81-75). That makes ACC home teams 28-10 at this point.
    BC now 3-3 in ACC play. Whoda thunk it?

Agree, our loss at BC doesn't look so awful now. Our win tonight is very strong, but our defensive deficiencies are worrisome. I'm watching WVU beating KU right now, lots of time left. So, as I'm seeing college hoops unfold, there's no clearcut favorite. Nova's good, for sure, UVA very good as well. But no stud team. MSU could be, Duke could be. UVA could be, but their lack of scoring keeps many games closer than they need to be. I need to see more Big 12 teams/games to figure who's totally legit.

Should be a fun NCAA Tourney, wide open!!!

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Agree, our loss at BC doesn't look so awful now. Our win tonight is very strong, but our defensive deficiencies are worrisome. I'm watching WVU beating KU right now, lots of time left. So, as I'm seeing college hoops unfold, there's no clearcut favorite. Nova's good, for sure, UVA very good as well. But no stud team. MSU could be, Duke could be. UVA could be, but their lack of scoring keeps many games closer than they need to be. I need to see more Big 12 teams/games to figure who's totally legit.

Should be a fun NCAA Tourney, wide open!!!
    Duke and MSU, in my opinion, are head and shoulders above the field in potential of where they COULD be by March. (Duke more talent, but MSU still excellent talent level plus a bit more seasoning/experience)

If those 2 teams play their best ball at the end, I strongly believe one of them will cut down the nets in San Antonio.

As for UVA if we don't sort out our rebounding issues, THAT, and not any perceived lack of offense will be our downfall.

[9]North Carolina (3-2) (-6) hosts [15]Clemson (4-1) (7:00, ACCNE)

Hope springs eternal...sad that the Tigers only get a shot every other year now. 9f swofford and the cheats.

Clemson-"u"nc tip off in 6 minutes and the cheaters already in the bonus.

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Dean Dome

The Dean Dome looks half empty. Not sure if it’s the wine or the cheese that’s missing, but it’s nice to see.

With Clemson averaging a turnover a minute before the first TV timeout, it appears that the specter of "the streak" has the Tigers playing tight. Of course, it's still early and things can change, but that 13-point hole is going to be difficult to overcome unless the flow of the game changes dramatically.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    With Clemson averaging a turnover a minute before the first TV timeout, it appears that the specter of "the streak" has the Tigers playing tight. Of course, it's still early and things can change, but that 13-point hole is going to be difficult to overcome unless the flow of the game changes dramatically.
    The flow change after a 13 point lead? That never happens

I was really hoping to follow this s game on the “not going to jinx it” thread.

Maye

Maye just went to the locker room holding his nose. I didn’t see what happened, but I don’t believe a foul was called.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Maye just went to the locker room holding his nose. I didn’t see what happened, but I don’t believe a foul was called.
    It would have been on Williams, his teammate.

But I think the locals will blame Gerald anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I was really hoping to follow this s game on the “not going to jinx it” thread.
    I suppose I have a faint hope, but then I remember that Clemson loses in Chapel Hill even when the Tigers are better.

UNC is better this year. And Clemson always loses in Chapel Hill.
    Carolina delenda est

Can someone please give Brownell the diaper bag, because his team is stinking up the joint.

Clemson looks awful. I'm sure Zion Williamson has already made up his mind, but if this game were some type of showcase for him then Clemson should be very worried. Berry and Maye are a combined 1-9 for five points yet the CHeats are up 15 at the half.