Thread: Open Practice?

Open Practice?

Can anyone confirm that there is an open practice this afternoon?

Thanks,

bdh

It was supposed to be at 4:30. I haven't heard otherwise so I assume it's still on.

praktice?!? are we really talkin bout praktice?!?!?

I can't make the open practice today. You luck folks that are going, please be prepared to post lots of observations :-)

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I can't make the open practice today. You luck folks that are going, please be prepared to post lots of observations :-)
    The short version: Henderson looks great. Zoubek... doesn't. Everyone else is somewhere in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    The short version: Henderson looks great. Zoubek... doesn't. Everyone else is somewhere in between.
    Let's keep in mind that Zoubek is still trying to get back in shape. He's a 7-1 guy who is having to try to fit into a system that wants to push the ball up and down the floor. All of this after putting on about 30lbs and then breaking his foot. It's going to take awhile for him to get into the flow. He just has to get completely back in shape. Once he gets a little more comfortable and in better shape, he'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Let's keep in mind that Zoubek is still trying to get back in shape. He's a 7-1 guy who is having to try to fit into a system that wants to push the ball up and down the floor. All of this after putting on about 30lbs and then breaking his foot. It's going to take awhile for him to get into the flow. He just has to get completely back in shape. Once he gets a little more comfortable and in better shape, he'll be fine.
    Apparently Marty spent the entire practice on the exercise bike rather than on the court but have not heard the extent of his injury. Guess Marty is covering Dave and vice versa, auditioning for the Lance Armstrong replacement.

how did scheyer look? b/c i feel that is the most overrated player on the team. he aint no jj and he aint no trajon either. he is a good already scorere of the ball but he aint the shooter everyone talks about.

what about the freshmen?

Quote Originally Posted by lavell12 View Post
    how did scheyer look? b/c i feel that is the most overrated player on the team. he aint no jj and he aint no trajon either. he is a good already scorere of the ball but he aint the shooter everyone talks about.
    I am not sure which is more offensive, the way this post rips upon one of the kids sweating and bleeding for Duke or the utter lack of grammar and spelling in it.

News flash, just because you play shooting guard at Duke, you are not supposed to only be a dead-eye outside gunner like JJ and Trajan. All players are not created equal and do not play the same way.

As an aside, Scheyer averaged more points per game as a freshman than Langdon did.

--Jason "sorry, I usually just let the stupid stuff fly by but I could not resist on this one" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I am not sure which is more offensive, the way this post rips upon one of the kids sweating and bleeding for Duke or the utter lack of grammar and spelling in it.

News flash, just because you play shooting guard at Duke, you are not supposed to only be a dead-eye outside gunner like JJ and Trajan. All players are not created equal and do not play the same way.

As an aside, Scheyer averaged more points per game as a freshman than Langdon did.

--Jason "sorry, I usually just let the stupid stuff fly by but I could not resist on this one" Evans
    Yes, irks me too whenever freshmen are compared to all time Duke players' carer stats, rather than just their freshman year which also is unfair to compare players but understandable.

Jon Scheyer certainly played better than anyone expected him to, but due to that 75 second video, people expect Superman or at least JJ like junior year and senior year performances his first year or two.

His best trait IMO opinion though was his ability to fight off screen and his stamina while on defense, but people will always just remember Eric Maynor beating him on a move he had not used much the whole game to end Duke's season.

Practice

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    While it is hard to get much from looking at one practice, my sense from watching is that everyone is getting adjusted. This team does not have that sense of identity that some Duke teams have had (even young ones) because this year's Sophs never really came together as a group as Freshman. I think this year's group have a chance to do that. All look very confident and are not in awe of the upperclassman. Singler, King and Smith all bring something different and important to the team. I expect we will see a lot of them as a unit at times. Now the fundamentals on this team are not great yet. They don't move well as a unit. There were a lot of missed passes yesterday and sloppy play. But this is what you expect from young kids. I also agree the Zoubek was a bit out of place out there- but he is not where he needs to be because of the foot. One big missing piece was McClure who spent the practice stretching and riding a bike. He is really a senior and can bring a lot to the team leadership. To me, that is what is missing. Nelson may be the most experienced player- and it shows- but he is not the rally the troops kind of player. Somebody needs to be that guy when the wars start. The team needs a bolus of confidence from some player- I am right now betting it will be Smith. If they can build chemistry- this team will be pretty good.

"how did scheyer look? b/c i feel that is the most overrated player on the team. he aint no jj and he aint no trajon either"

Not a J.J. Well gee, we are talking about the consensus national player of the year and the leading scorer in ACC history. How dare Scheyer not reach that level as a freshman.

As for Trajan Langdon (I assume that's who you are referring to), let's look at the freshman years, the only valid comparison.

Langdon 11.3 ppg Scheyer 12.2 ppg
    Langdon 2.1 rpg Scheyer 3.3 rpg
    Langdon 1.6 apg Scheyer 1.9 apg
    Langdon 45.3fg% Scheyer 39.8fg%
    Langdon 78.6ft% Scheyer 84.6ft%
    Langdon 13 steals Scheyer 39 steals

Now, if you want to argue that Scheyer isn't as good as Langdon was as a fifth-year senior in 1999, when he was consensus second-team All-America, sure. But Langdon got better after his freshman season. Why assume that Scheyer cannot do the same?

Hope coach puts the ball in his hands

on the last possesion with a chance to win a NC.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I also agree the Zoubek was a bit out of place out there- but he is not where he needs to be because of the foot.
    Oh, yeah, I'm not saying it's his fault or that he won't get better if his foot heals well, just pointing out he didn't look good yesterday.

sorry i was trying to compare scheyer to jj or anything i was just saying that the aint the shooter everyone acts like he is. he has a better all around game then jj had as a fresh. I just see him not progressing and being the star many think he will be.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner
    55227 As for Trajan Langdon (I assume that's who you are referring to), let's look at the freshman years, the only valid comparison.

Langdon 11.3 ppg Scheyer 12.2 ppg
    Langdon 2.1 rpg Scheyer 3.3 rpg
    Langdon 1.6 apg Scheyer 1.9 apg
    Langdon 45.3fg% Scheyer 39.8fg%
    Langdon 78.6ft% Scheyer 84.6ft%
    Langdon 13 steals Scheyer 39 steals
    I seem to vaguely recall that it was considered a big deal when Langdon averaged double-digits as a frosh, that it had only occured with maybe 9 or 10 other players at Duke (at that time.) So, Scheyer averaging 12.2 ppg is nothing to sneeze at. And I agree with you and Jason, that it is really in bad taste to rip the players. Some posters need to learn the art of even-handed critique, (which is different than unabashed criticism), especially when dealing with amateur student-athletes from your favorite institution of higher learning.

Quote Originally Posted by lavell12 View Post

what about the freshmen?
    If you're going ot bash people, could you at least try to use correct grammar and spelling?

Zoubek broke a fairly small bone in his foot, the 5th metatarsal (spelling, I know), in three places, from the diagram on DBR, each one all the way through. Had screws put in his foot.

All better.

Paulus had an operation on a foot that supposedly had healed before last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    If you're going ot bash people, could you at least try to use correct grammar and spelling?
    Good point, but ahem.

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    Good point, but ahem.
    D'oh!