Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    The seed of the African daisy is what is marketed here as nyger seed. Some call it thistle, but it is not related to that plant. Nyger seed is subjected to intense heat to sterilize the seed, so they will not germinate, thereby bypassing the invasive plant species laws. It can be sold anywhere.
    Wondered why we didn't have a pile of thistles growing below the feeder. Now I know.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    nice post. Gotta have a world class squirrel guard, too, unless you want to lose a lot of seed...
    My world class squirrel guard is something called a Pine Marten. The Pine Marten is a large weasel -- about 18-24 inches in length, over one pound in weight and cute as hell -- that is arboreal. As a result, the squirrel population in my part of the Rockies is de minimus (does that mean "small?").
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    My world class squirrel guard is something called a Pine Marten. The Pine Marten is a large weasel -- about 18-24 inches in length, over one pound in weight and cute as hell -- that is arboreal. As a result, the squirrel population in my part of the Rockies is de minimus (does that mean "small?").
    ha, on our side of the continent, and in our neighborhood, we have a plethora of squirrel reducing mammals including, but not limited to: foxes, mink, owls, and the most efficient killer of them all, Mr. Fisher.
    And yet, the wily squirrel is able to reproduce at such a high rate that there always seems to be some supply...generally the numbers get big, a predator moves in (watching the fisher chase down squirrels is quite a sight), thins out the population and moves on...numbers are limited right now due to fox activity (some neighbors have chickens and their security is sub-Leavenworthian, so the foxes are enjoying the area).