Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: NC State 96, Duke 85 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here. No venting or bashing of our players and coaches.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Congrats PackMan. That’s the only positive thing I can think of at this point of the night.

Ummmm...ok?

Did the entire team have the flu? I can’t figure that one out. Curious to hear coach’s comments on this one. We looked tired as hell, which will happen when your bench provides no support. I sure hope we figure out how to play some D. Feels like we’re going backwards in that department.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

It’s over.

As bad as the players looked at times, the coaches deserve just as much criticism. No team that I know of has ever won a title only giving 6 guys serious minutes, and you have capable players on the bench. They might not be at the level of the starters, but you need to give them a chance if for no other reason than they need experience for when it really matters. Unless you come out and tell me O'Connell and Goldwire were hurt, there's no good reason they should have barely played and not played respectively. Duval was slopply and out of control for much of the night. If you count his terrible threes which might as well have been turnovers, he was double digit turnovers. Get him out for a minute to show that it's not acceptable. When you tell an 18/19 year old kid he mad a poor decision, it doesn't often get through when you send him right back out to do it again and again. The defense is bad, but you can't compound that by giving up offensive possessions and transition opportunities. It's ok to make these mistakes and have bad nights, but you get nothing out of it for the long run if you don't take advantage of the teaching moments and get the guys on the bench valuable experience.

You might say "well they've always played a short bench". But it's never been this bad, unless they physically didn't have enough healthy scholarship players to play much more like late 2016. That's not at all the case and the coaches are doing this team a terrible disservice in the long run by not even giving the bench an opportunity in a game like this.

PS: I had this pre-typed this and now see the venting/bashing thing. I consider this to be a legit constructive criticism and not bashing as there's a purpose and path for improvement included, but if the mods disagree, I apologize.

How bad is our D.? State scored 62 in their 16 point loss to Clemson. The Wolfpack scored 58 in their 30 point loss to Notre Dame. Tonight they put up 96 against us.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeWarhead View Post
    Is it possible for all this talent to play some effing defense????
    Defense wasn't the only problem tonight. Our decision-making on both ends of the floor was terrible, and they consistently beat us to 50/50 balls all night.

Quote Originally Posted by thedukelamere View Post
    Congrats PackMan. That’s the only positive thing I can think of at this point of the night.
    Great win for the Pack. Can we hope they do the same thing to the Heels? 🙄

Goodbye #1 seed. Goodbye regular season acc title.

Next play.

sucked.jpg

"bad losses"

well...we did...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Put your post-game thoughts here. No venting or bashing of our players and coaches.
    My apologies to everyone that tried to warn me that this might happen, I didn't take them seriously enough to watch the second half. /sobs

What is wrong with Grayson?

Quote Originally Posted by dyedwab View Post
    Defense wasn't the only problem tonight. Our decision-making on both ends of the floor was terrible, and they consistently beat us to 50/50 balls all night.
    When you score 85 and still lose by 11, defense is the problem.

I see we're following 2015's script to a TI'm a real wanker for saying this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kjeffrey View Post
    Great win for the Pack. Can we hope they do the same thing to the Heels? 🙄
    i think we have bigger things to worry about right now than whether the heels will continue to lose

Quote Originally Posted by thedukelamere View Post
    I'll second the motion. Congrats, Packman.

Hey! We won the Quicklane Bowl!! Be happy!

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Allen has to play like a senior when you have a team full of Freshman. Not sure what happened tonight- maybe hurt- maybe sick- maybe an off night. This is a team of Freshman who one day may be consistent players- but right now they do not play well together. The D is exceptionally bad right now and if it does not get better in a hurry- the team will struggle to win in this league. Maybe playing more games a week will help- we shall see. Right now- Duke is not a very good team. But no question that Bagley is one incredible talent. Other than that- the team is playing a lot like you might expect Freshman to play in January. Again Allen needs to take over and tonight he was absent and hence the loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    What is wrong with Grayson?
    He was well guarded.