Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: New Wave Music

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Dexys are another Birmingham band. It was a good musical scene those days. The Beat, UB40, Fine Young Cannibals were around all at that time together with Duran Duran and many more. I used to play pick up soccer by downtown Brum and we would often end up in the same pub as the UB40 band who’s recording studio was right by where we played.
    All I know about Birmingham I learned on Peaky Blinders

May as well give a shout out to the Stray Cats too. A little hair gel on video on rock-a-Billy was cool for a time. Had a good friend who got a tight perm and rocked the Brian Setzer look in HS.

And a couple others that I don't think have been mentioned...

- Madness (now that's a version of "Our House" that I could stomach at the end of Duke home games)
    - Pet Shop Boys
    - Tears for Fears

Definitely getting towards synthpop with the last two but the lines between genres around this time seem pretty blurred.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    And a couple others that I don't think have been mentioned...

- Madness (now that's a version of "Our House" that I could stomach at the end of Duke home games)
    - Pet Shop Boys
    - Tears for Fears

Definitely getting towards synthpop with the last two but the lines between genres around this time seem pretty blurred.
    I saw Tears this summer in Forest Hills - opened for Hall & Oates...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    We are horrible people for not giving Devo some well deserved love.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Are we not men?

Never much cared for them. I tend to prefer the contents over the packaging.

This thread seems unusually amorphous, even by DBR standards. The Clash and Graham Parker and Dire Straits and others who concentrated on making music of substance never seemed to have much in common with Flock of Seagulls or Berlin, who seemed to me to be Video Stars more than musicians. New Wave Music is such an elastic term that I'm not sure it has much meaning, at least as used in this thread.

Or maybe I'm just Monday cranky.

And you kids get off my lawn.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Never much cared for them. I tend to prefer the contents over the packaging.

This thread seems unusually amorphous, even by DBR standards. The Clash and Graham Parker and Dire Straits and others who concentrated on making music of substance never seemed to have much in common with Flock of Seagulls or Berlin, who seemed to me to be Video Stars more than musicians. New Wave Music is such an elastic term that I'm not sure it has much meaning, at least as used in this thread.

Or maybe I'm just Monday cranky.

And you kids get off my lawn.
    Devo was a big influence on New Wave music. For me, it was born from Punk, a statement against the blues and rock that was prevalent in the 70s. Defined by heavy use of synthesizers, eventually it gave way to more pop bands that followed, many of them taking inspiration from that early 80's MTV sound and style.
    I always thought it was interesting that Disco could also be viewed as a rebellion against the rock n roll genre, yet it suffered a rather harsh death as people rallied against it. Disco died and New Wave flourished in the ashes.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Devo was a big influence on New Wave music. For me, it was born from Punk, a statement against the blues and rock that was prevalent in the 70s. Defined by heavy use of synthesizers, eventually it gave way to more pop bands that followed, many of them taking inspiration from that early 80's MTV sound and style.
    I always thought it was interesting that Disco could also be viewed as a rebellion against the rock n roll genre, yet it suffered a rather harsh death as people rallied against it. Disco died and New Wave flourished in the ashes.
    Disco was doomed when McArthur Park was "discoed" - as was Beethoven...

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Disco was doomed when McArthur Park was "discoed" - as was Beethoven...
    I think you're thinking of Mozart...ROCK ME AMADEUS!

Beethoven was rolled over by Chuck Berry.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post

Probably thinking of “A Fifth of Beethoven”

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Dammit, now ya got me dancin'.

Go Falco!

Yup. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ouM...ature=youtu.be

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Go Falco!
    I personally preferred the German version which, I believe, was Falco's original version.

Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I personally preferred the German version which, I believe, was Falco's original version.
    Which reminds me of the '80's hit Der Kommisar, the English version of which was made popular in the US by a band called After the Fire, but the original German version was Falco's. To add to the confusion, Falco also came out with an English version for the US. So, within a period of a few years there were three different versions all played on the radio.

Which version do you like best? (ha ha)

Rich

Which reminds me of the '80's hit Der Kommisar, the English version of which was made popular in the US by a band called After the Fire, but the original German version was Falco's. To add to the confusion, Falco also came out with an English version for the US. So, within a period of a few years there were three different versions all played on the radio.

Rich

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Although 99 Luftballons got some play, my favorite German-translated song of the era was Peter Schilling’s Major Tom:

https://youtu.be/db64QW-rsz4

Although 99 Luftballons got some play, my favorite German-translated song of the era was Peter Schilling’s Major Tom:

https://youtu.be/db64QW-rsz4
    For me it was “Da da da” by Trio