Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I would make a distinction between players that couldn't get on the court, like Tucker, and players that transferred for other reasons -- Gbinije, Elliott Williams, and Derryck Thornton.
    I kind of feel like Gbinije fits in that first category. Moreso than the second, at least.

I wish him luck going forward, and thanks for the time you’ve spent here young man.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Presumably Syracuse is the front runner considering we plucked him from there at the last minute.
    Syracuse is in the ACC. He would need a waiver from K to go there, otherwise he would have to sit out 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by SueAxe View Post
    Syracuse is in the ACC. He would need a waiver from K to go there, otherwise he would have to sit out 2 years.
    UNCheat got Cam Johnson from ACC school Pitt after they lifted all restrictions. And Stallings has prior connections with Roy.
    So maybe K should just grant Tucker the waiver since K is friends with Boeheim.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    UNCheat got Cam Johnson from ACC school Pitt after they lifted all restrictions. And Stallings has prior connections with Roy.
    So maybe K should just grant Tucker the waiver since K is friends with Boeheim.
    I think that was only because Johnson was transferring as a grad student. I think you can't transfer to another ACC team as an undergrad unless you want to sit out two years (please somebody correct me if I'm wrong). Coach K can't do anything about that. But historically, Coach K doesn't impose any transfer restrictions on anybody. He's among the most flexible coaches in the nation in that regard (silent G to Cuse being the most obvious example.. The year before they joined the ACC so it wasn't against ACC bylaws yet). But yes, kinda stinks that we have so much turnover these days and players don't stick it out. Just a function of the system as it exists today.

Also, I think we can remove the question mark from the thread title...

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I hadn't thought about the timing of his commitment. He must have thought that he would be treated just like a top tier player and then confronted a very different reality. These are kids, after all, and prone to make immature decisions. I recall hearing about Jeff Capel thought about transferring during his freshman year, too, when he wasn't getting the college experience he had envisioned for himself. But he stuck it out. Not all of the players we recruit, like Javin DeLaurier, are willing to bet on themselves. I hope he uses this as an opportunity to work hard and earn a role for himself at another school. Good luck, Jordan!
    Nolan Smith thought about transferring too. He had to be talked out of it.

This is about as surprising as having a mediocre NYE

Tucker wasn’t playing this year. Probably not next year with two elite wings, maybe Trent (probs not), and a buffed up O’Connell.

I’ve come to accept three facts with the Duke OAD approach:

-Elite offense
    -atrocious defense
    -increased transfers

Love the first, hate the second, totally fine with the third.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Here's an article with some nice quotes:
    http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/c...192392054.html

“It was pretty simple for me. I just needed playing time,” Tucker said in a phone interview Sunday. “Nothing negative. I just needed to play at the end of the day. And coach understands it. It was a mutual agreement.”

Tucker said he wanted to thank Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski for what he did for him.
    “He taught me a lot about myself on and off the court. I’m grateful for the experience and being able to say I played at Duke. A lot of people can’t say that.”

Quote Originally Posted by GeneBanksManCrush View Post
    Just saw this pop up. http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

Thoughts, anyone?
    I am sure he learned a lot and will grow from the experienece. Duke bball is a competitive. Need to be ready.

That was quick. I didn’t see him play enough to form an opinion about his potential at Duke. I guess either he didn’t think he could be a contributor at Duke or wasn’t willing to wait. Good luck to JTuck.

I am very sorry that he is leaving so quickly but it clearly was not a good fit. We have a horrible track record of players like him transferring out so I don't know why he thought he would be the exception to the rule. I recognize that at the time he signed we had just missed on Knox, Alex seemed like a lesser player and Bagley wasn't on the radar for another year. But if I was in his position I would have grilled K about why I am different from all the others. I would like to think the staff was 100% honest with him about playing time being earned, their future recruiting plans (for which there are no guarantees) and what his strengths and weaknesses are.

I wish Jordan the best at his next destination and hope he takes the time to do thorough due diligence before he makes his choice.

The only downside I see is that he has essentially cost himself at least a half (and probably a full) season of basketball by transferring midseason due to the NCAA rules on midseason transfers. But I guess he really wanted to get started on his next quest.

I wish him luck wherever he goes. I watched all of his videos, and was looking forward to seeing him contribute this year. Seemed to have a good stroke and was smooth with the ball. I just don't get it..

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    I wish him luck wherever he goes. I watched all of his videos, and was looking forward to seeing him contribute this year. Seemed to have a good stroke and was smooth with the ball. I just don't get it..
    Agreed.
    I thought his length and shot would play a small but key bench role. Something wasn’t right when he was the last one or two off the bench, even in blowouts.
    I hate these. I just feel badly for the kids. Not that I blame anyone, sometimes it very much the right decision, but still a lot of disappointment and regret. Hope the right fit is out there and he finds it.

But next year’s class probably soidified his choice.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon View Post
    Agreed.
    I thought his length and shot would play a small but key bench role. Something wasn’t right when he was the last one or two off the bench, even in blowouts.
    I hate these. I just feel badly for the kids. Not that I blame anyone, sometimes it very much the right decision, but still a lot of disappointment and regret. Hope the right fit is out there and he finds it.

But next year’s class probably soidified his choice.
    It was already clear he was the 12th or 13th man at the Blue and White game...

Sadly, this is going to be a pretty regular occurrence as long as we are on this hot streak of recruiting. I thought Jordan had a chance to be a rotation guy this year, but for whatever reason, it didn't work out. You can't fault a guy for wanting to play. Good luck, kid. Sorry it didn't work out at Duke. Hope you find the best place for you to shine.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    . I recognize that at the time he signed we had just missed on Knox, Alex seemed like a lesser player and Bagley wasn't on the radar for another year.
    The Bagley factor is a big one. Take him off of this team (which is the roster Tucker thought he was joining) and we’re playing a lot with Carter at the 5 and four guards, with a team that only had three high-level guards on the roster. It was reasonable for Tucker to think there was an opportunity for playing time as a freshman.

The guy loves Duke and really wanted to come here despite having offers from other major programs. Can’t knock him for that.

I thought he was gonna be awesome in the future, hope he does well wherever he goes

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    Nolan Smith thought about transferring too. He had to be talked out of it.
    if i recall, this had more to do with his coping with the death of his sister than anything else...
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    if i recall, this had more to do with his coping with the death of his sister than anything else...
    Are you confusing him with Dawkins?