Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

is derryck thornton injured?

he hasn't played a minute in USC's last four games but I can't find the reason. Does anyone know?

I heard a couple weeks ago he had an injury and was supposed to be out a few weeks. Prior to that he was only averaging 15 or so minutes a game.

he was averaging 15.4 mins 3.6 points, 2.0 rebounds, and unfortunately shooting about .300 overall. It appears he was one of the first off their rather short bench, prior to injury. I don't know what the thoughts and wishes of the young man himself were, but that transfer seemed to me to be driven in part by intrusive family members who knew much less about basketball than they thought they did. Hope they're happy with the results, but that doesn't always lead to good outcomes.

He is nowhere to be seen on 2018 draft boards. I think that if he has stayed at Duke he may well have been.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    He is nowhere to be seen on 2018 draft boards. I think that if he has stayed at Duke he may well have been.
    If he had stayed at Duke, he might now be in the NBA.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    How so? Had he stayed at Duke, he would have had to share perimeter minutes last season with Luke Kennard, Grayson Allen, Frank Jackson and Matt Jones. Hard to see how he would have gotten enough minutes to get to the NBA.

And his continued presence at Duke likely precludes Duke getting Trevon Duval. I'd rather have Duval than Thornton.

His uncle must be royally pissed at USC.

The story I heard is that Thornton was told when he was recruited that we would run a lot of pick and roll with him having the ball in his hands, but then after Amile got hurt K had to completely restructure the offense and instead call for more isolation play by Grayson and Ingram. Derryck’s father or uncle or whoever else makes up his entourage/handlers were upset that he wasn’t getting the ball enough.

I wish he had stayed. I don’t think he had very good point guard skills and I don’t think he would have played a major role on last year’s team, but he had a lot of good tools and was a great defender so I think we would have found a role for him. I remember watching him in some early practices and Matt Jones was just destroying him on both ends; he clearly wasn’t ready for this level especially after coming early. I’ll always remember his block on Berry to seal that win in CH when we played with five guys.

That was the story circulated by the Thornton camp. I doubt its veracity. Thornton was a late re-class after Tyus Jones went pro. He was considered a pure pass-first point guard. I can't for the life of me imagine why Duke would tell him otherwise.

Not Mike Krzyzewski's style.

I continue to wish him well. He has to run his own race.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    That was the story circulated by the Thornton camp. I doubt its veracity. Thornton was a late re-class after Tyus Jones went pro. He was considered a pure pass-first point guard. I can't for the life of me imagine why Duke would tell him otherwise.

The bolded seems odd as that never appeared to be his strengths, either in scouting reports or highlight video (for whatever that's worth). His skill set seemed more in his ability to attack the rim. His game always seemed more like Irving's than, say, a Tyus Jones (or insert your name of pass-first PG here). [note: not saying Thornton is anywhere near Irving in talent, just stylistically similar]

If the staff envisioned Thornton as a pass-first PG, that seems like a pretty big misevaluation.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The bolded seems odd as that never appeared to be his strengths, either in scouting reports or highlight video (for whatever that's worth). His skill set seemed more in his ability to attack the rim. His game always seemed more like Irving's than, say, a Tyus Jones (or insert your name of pass-first PG here). [note: not saying Thornton is anywhere near Irving in talent, just stylistically similar]

If the staff envisioned Thornton as a pass-first PG, that seems like a pretty big misevaluation.
    Square peg, round hole, perhaps. And Thornton certainly could defend point guards, much better defender as a freshman than either Jackson or Duval.

But I never, ever, at any time heard any suggestion that Duke expected Thornton to be a primary scoring option on a team that included Allen, Ingram, Kennard and Jones. Defense and play-making were his jobs.

Thornton's camp certainly did have a lot to say after he left. In fairness, I believe his "uncle" may have been responsible for 100% of the comments made, at least publicly - but its hard to imagine the "uncle" would have said so much over an extended period without the approval of the father. Other than the fact that he was attacking perhaps the most powerful man in college basketball, one particular comment illustrated to me the ridiculousness of the uncle's complaints, the decision to transfer, etc. He specifically compared Derryck Jrs. PNR usage to that of Kris Dunn to show how Thornton had been misused. Dunn was a red-shirt Junior, All-American, who surprised many by returning for his final year. He was drafted 5th that year. Its incomprehensible that anyone would even suggest that Thornton's usage should compare to Dunn's.

The uncle also claimed that Coach K had begged Thornton to come early. Forget that, through the years, there is no version of Coach K that begs a kid to come to Duke - even more so at the height of his success fresh off of NCAA title, Olympic success, etc. The uncle was evidently unaware that Tank Thornton did a nice piece (with the N&O, I believe) where he detailed the recruitment process for his son. He specifically stated, unequivocally, that Coach K said he would be very glad to have Thornton either as a reclass, or the next year - the decision was his.

Its important to note that Derryck Jr. has never, to my knowledge, spoken ill of Duke or his time there. In fact, he did attend the banquet even after the unpleasantness of his uncle's twitter barrage. I wish the young man good luck and health. He was ill-served by those around him. He received plenty of playing time his Freshman year and would have inherited a loaded team the next. I imagine he could regret his (or perhaps his family's) decision as time passes.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I heard a couple weeks ago he had an injury and was supposed to be out a few weeks. Prior to that he was only averaging 15 or so minutes a game.
    Dislocated shoulder in early December. Expected to be out 3-4 weeks total though shoulders can tricky (e.g., Fultz, Draymond, Luck).
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

How so? Had he stayed at Duke, he would have had to share perimeter minutes last season with Luke Kennard, Grayson Allen, Frank Jackson and Matt Jones. Hard to see how he would have gotten enough minutes to get to the NBA.

And his continued presence at Duke likely precludes Duke getting Trevon Duval. I'd rather have Duval than Thornton.
    Maybe not Frank Jackson -- didn't he he come only because Derryck left?
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Maybe not Frank Jackson -- didn't he he come only because Derryck left?
    Not unless Jackson had some insider information really early in the process. Jackson committed Sep '15; Thornton announced his transfer in Apr '16.

You may be mistaking Duval and Jackson.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Not unless Jackson had some insider information really early in the process. Jackson committed Sep '15; Thornton announced his transfer in Apr '16.

You may be mistaking Duval and Jackson.
    Ahhh! Thanks for the correction.
    Sage Grouse

Avoid LA

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    Thornton's camp certainly did have a lot to say after he left. In fairness, I believe his "uncle" may have been responsible for 100% of the comments made, at least publicly - but its hard to imagine the "uncle" would have said so much over an extended period without the approval of the father. Other than the fact that he was attacking perhaps the most powerful man in college basketball, one particular comment illustrated to me the ridiculousness of the uncle's complaints, the decision to transfer, etc. He specifically compared Derryck Jrs. PNR usage to that of Kris Dunn to show how Thornton had been misused. Dunn was a red-shirt Junior, All-American, who surprised many by returning for his final year. He was drafted 5th that year. Its incomprehensible that anyone would even suggest that Thornton's usage should compare to Dunn's.
    Uncle Trainer was even worse than Chris Burgess's dad when it comes to career advice.

No matter what, it seems that Duke players and recruits should avoid LA at all costs. (The other) Tony Parker was thought to be a lock for Duke, but ended up at UCLA, apparently because Duke doesn't prepare big men for the NBA. Parker is now playing in the G-League for the Iowa Wolves along with...Amile Jefferson!

Amile is averaging 16.5 PPG and Parker only 3.3. Considering that Parker has had problems with conditioning and injuries, the last thing he needed was all that recruitment drama and the soap opera announcement. I hope that Amile can provide a proper example for him and that he can finally achieve his dream of playing in the NBA.

I really need to get more involved in the lives of my nephews. I have no idea how they get out of bed in the AM without me!

I never saw that in him. My thinking is that if he was still at Duke he would be planted on the bench.