Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Beatle recordings still sell millions a year, in fact when Sgt Pepper was re-released last summer as a 50th anniversary of the original album's release, it went to number one. 50 years later!
    Meh, I'm not buying that album. It was roundly panned by The New York Times don't ya know -- https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/01/a...nd-review.html
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    The longevity of the Rolling Stones doesn't factor into my view, as after 15 years or so the Stones were just mailing it in for a paycheck.
    That would be 1977, missing Some Girls, Tattoo You, and everything after. They kept writing and recording. But in recent decades, very little they wrote found its way to radio. Is it because they were mailing it in? I doubt it; I've observed the same phenomenon with Rush and other long-established bands. At some point, someone in programming decides to close the canon of that band's songs, as if "that's all she wrote." Of course, digital and streaming could have changed this, but I'm not sure it has.

In 1981 I saw the Stones perform, and if you were at the show I saw, and you said that Mick mailed in his vocals, I could not disagree. I was terribly disappointed. Sure, he hopped around the stage and preened for the audience, but I don't think he would have carried a tune that night if he was outfitted with a Kelty Tioga.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Gimme Shelter is one of the top five songs ever written though. To me.
    I had no idea Martin Scorsese posted on DBR.

Two bands before my time. I'm in the generation that rejected my own music and pursued classic rock, only I rejected my generation and I like what I like. So here are some quotes.

Everybody's born knowing all the Beatles lyrics instinctively. They're passed into the fetus subconsciously along with all the amniotic stuff. Fact, they should be called "The Fetals".
    Not that I condone fascism, or any -ism for that matter. -Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me." Good point there. After all, he was the walrus. I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people.
    Man, I'm older than the Beatles, but I'm younger than the Rolling Stones!
    NO! I will battle you with the entirety of my heart and you will probably lose. But maybe, just maybe. You might challenge me. The Beatles needed the Rolling Stones. Even Diane Sawyer needed Katie Couric. Will you be my Katie Couric?
    Have the Rolling Stones killed.
    My dear girl, there are some things that just aren't done, such as drinking Dom Perignon '53 above the temperature of 38 degrees Fahrenheit. That's just as bad as listening to the Beatles without earmuffs!
    They got the Monkees. They were a major influence on the Beatles.
    The Beatles! Rolling Stones! Barbra Streisand! Bruce Springsteen! These are just some of the people who threatened to sue if we used their songs.

In my day, making the Beatles v. Stones choice was a requirement. I'm Beatles. Easy.

Based on who started this thread, I think the real question is which group would best withstand killer gators, poisonous snakes or those godless killing machines--Colbert reference, here--known as bears.

My bet would be on the Muddy Waters Band. Or the Paul Butterfield Blues Band.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Based on who started this thread, I think the real question is which group would best withstand killer gators, poisonous snakes or those godless killing machines--Colbert reference, here--known as bears.

By that standard...

Quote Originally Posted by RPS View Post
    By that standard...

Not 60's!!

For the category British bands formed in the 60's, I might go with Black Sabbath on that one.

When I was a soph. in h.s., the Beatles became famous. It wan't until "Satisfaction" , a couple of years later, that the Stone's really registered.
    The subject of this thread was never discussed among my musical friends. The music was just too different. The Beatles music from a creativity standpoint was off the charts. The Stones music was more familiar to us since it had some grounding in Blues: but the Stones applied their own pace and rhythm. Both groups wrote great songs. My favorites albums are Sgt Pepper and Beggars Banquet. Be mindful that Sgt Pepper was the first great "Psychedelic" album (apart from the Grateful Dead) while the Stones' effort "Bless Its Pointed Little Head" while quite good is certainly not in the class of Sgt Pepper.

Quote Originally Posted by WV_Iron_Duke View Post
    When I was a soph. in h.s., the Beatles became famous. It wan't until "Satisfaction" , a couple of years later, that the Stone's really registered.
    The subject of this thread was never discussed among my musical friends. The music was just too different. The Beatles music from a creativity standpoint was off the charts. The Stones music was more familiar to us since it had some grounding in Blues: but the Stones applied their own pace and rhythm. Both groups wrote great songs. My favorites albums are Sgt Pepper and Beggars Banquet. Be mindful that Sgt Pepper was the first great "Psychedelic" album (apart from the Grateful Dead) while the Stones' effort "Bless Its Pointed Little Head" while quite good is certainly not in the class of Sgt Pepper.
    The Stones psychedelic album was "Their Satanic Majesties Request." Despite a few good songs it does not hold up well, IMO.

"Bless its Pointed Little Head" was a live album by Jefferson Airplane, whose studio psychedelic masterpiece was "After Bathing at Baxter's."

The Stones psychedelic album was "Their Satanic Majesties Request." Despite a few good songs it does not hold up well, IMO.

"Bless its Pointed Little Head" was a live album by Jefferson Airplane, whose studio psychedelic masterpiece was "After Bathing at Baxter's."
    Or Surrealistic Pillow

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Or Surrealistic Pillow
    I never thought "Surrealistic Pillow" was psychedelic, although "White Rabbit" sure was.

I guess I'm thinking of albums that were clear responses to Sgt. Pepper. Satanic Majesties and Baxter's were, IMO. And the Airplane didn't go as deep into the Bay Area jam scene as did the Dead, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Big Brother and the Holding Company, et. al. They had some real good songwriters and rarely went away from the song as the core principle.

And, of course, they became very political, more so than almost anyone else mentioned in this thread.

I confess that their four-studio-album-run of Surrealistic Pillow, After Bathing at Baxter's, Crown of Creation, and Volunteers was about as good as American rock groups got. IMO.

But drugs, egos and interpersonal relationships derailed their path. Familiar story.

And then Dylan came along with John Wesley Harding and that put a serious dent into LSD-based rock, although the Moody Blues never got the memo.

But that's another thread.

"The Stones psychedelic album was "Their Satanic Majesties Request." Despite a few good songs it does not hold up well, IMO.

Thanks Jim senior moment . After Bathing at Baxter's is one of my all time favorites as is Bless its Little Pointed Head". The latter is my favorite live album of all time.
    Let me say this now. I have played Stones stuff frequently during this century but not the Beatles.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    To each their own but the Beatles just never did it for me. The Stones on the other hand I could listen to all day.
    Speaking as one of the younger contributors to this thread, I'll say I like both bands and appreciate each for different reasons.

But if I had to choose between them, I'd echo DUKIECB. I get tired of the Beatles, but I really could listen to the Stones all day.

At the end of the day, I would choose Bowie.

The Who

I never thought "Surrealistic Pillow" was psychedelic, although "White Rabbit" sure was.
    It's definitely psychedelic. Captain Trips was named "Musical and Spiritual Adviser".

If we're mentioning 1960s psychedelic music, early Pink Floyd has to be on the short list.

And not always in a good way. Syd Barrett is one of the saddest tales in the rock canon.

In my youth, teenager in the 60's, I was a Beatles fan, but liked several of the Stones' songs. Mother's Little Helper, Paint it Black, Satisfaction, Ruby Tuesday, Dandelion, Sympathy For The Devil, She'a A Rainbow are my faves by them. Didn't care much for their later stuff. Never really cared that much for Jagger's vocal efforts, both Lennon and McCartney were much better singers, especially Paul, IMO.

The two groups, in spite of competing on the charts, had immense respect for each other. Mick sang backing vocals on All You Need Is Love, and Baby You're A Rich Man, and John and Paul sang on Dandelion and We Love You.
    Another poster mentioned the Beach Boys, who I also liked. I think Brian and Carl Wilson were way underrated as vocalists.