The Shape of Water

So, saw the film last night. It's the darling of the critics but, whew, about ten minutes too long. Michael Shannon def Oscar worthy, he's magnificent. The symbolism/cultural commentary, etc etc fantasy of it all wears just a teensy bit by the end of nearly two hours and it's "ok then, let's get dinner" when it finally comes to the inevitable and only conclusion.

Still, "The Florida Project" far and away the best film I've seen this year. Powerful movie. It'll likely get dissed but wow, go see it when it re-emerges before the Oscars.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    So, saw the film last night. It's the darling of the critics but, whew, about ten minutes too long. Michael Shannon def Oscar worthy, he's magnificent. The symbolism/cultural commentary, etc etc fantasy of it all wears just a teensy bit by the end of nearly two hours and it's "ok then, let's get dinner" when it finally comes to the inevitable and only conclusion.
    Yeah, I too was a little underwhelmed. I just found the story simplistic without any real surprises. I hated the ending and am still not sure it makes sense. That said, it was wonderfully acted and is a clever idea for a story. Plus, it is sci-fi that I can take my wife to see, which is rare these days.

-Jason "Michael Shannon's character is the whole reason to see the movie... he has a scene in the bathroom that is brilliant!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I really, really want to see this movie. These comments are tempering my expectations.