How Soon We Forget

From today's front page article...

As far as Duke goes, Marvin Bagley is pegged at #1 to the Bulls, Trevon Duval to the Hornets at #11, Wendell Carter to the Jazz at #14, Gary Trent to Phoenix at #17 and Grayson Allen to Minnesota at #22, where he could rejoin former teammates Tyus Young and (possibly) Amile Jefferson.

Young Tyus?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

As far as Duke goes, Marvin Bagley is pegged at #1 to the Bulls, Trevon Duval to the Hornets at #11, Wendell Carter to the Jazz at #14, Gary Trent to Phoenix at #17 and Grayson Allen to Minnesota at #22, where he could rejoin former teammates Tyus Young and (possibly) Amile Jefferson.

Young Tyus?
    It goes back to Ancient Roman dynasties. Cato the Elder, Cato the Younger. Pliny the Elder, Pliny the Younger. Mechionni the Elder, Melchionni the Younger.

Natural mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    It goes back to Ancient Roman dynasties. Cato the Elder, Cato the Younger. Pliny the Elder, Pliny the Younger. Mechionni the Elder, Melchionni the Younger.

Natural mistake.
    shouldn't this be in the beer thread?
    1200. DDMF.

Young Tyus?
    Young is a well-known euphemism for Stones.

Young Tyus?

Clearly Tyus is the older brother of a young phenomenal point guard named Tre (Jones)... or is it Trae (Young)? This is a mystery!

Natural mistake.
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Indeed:

https://russianriverbrewing.com/pages/pliny-the-elder
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

When Jim, John, Bob and Cole ride into town, better bring your A game . The Younger brothers take no prisoners.
    The University of North Carolina
    Where CHEATING is a Way of Life

Natural mistake.
    Some mark time by dynastic rulers, of course, but others refer to natural history epochs, such as the Plumlee Era, when big, jumping mammals with large teeth roamed the court.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Some mark time by dynastic rulers, of course, but others refer to natural history epochs, such as the Plumlee Era, when big, jumping mammals with large teeth roamed the court.
    “You must spread some Comments around before commenting on Reilly again.”

But my question is —was that an era, an epoch, or a period?

More like an exclamation point!
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    More like an exclamation point!
    In OPK's realm, it was much more likely a random semicolon.

;
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

... was that an era, an epoch, or a period?
    It might've been an "age" -- juvenile, I believe.

I don't know if that article is really optimistic from a Duke perspective, or whether I'm just overly skeptical. Bagley at #1 is not a sure thing, Ayton has arguably more appeal from a pro standpoint as he can play the center position and has more range. Doncic is also getting a lot of attention as a potential #1, though the mock ranking sites always seem to underrate the international players.

Trevon at 11 seems really high, he's going to have to fix or at least improve his shot in a big way. Carter seems to have slipped a bit lately as well, mostly due to his defense and also the devaluing of post scorers in the NBA in general.

Trent at 17 sounds about right, hopefully he'll get more consistent with his shooting throughout the year but he also isn't going to put up elite measurables at the combine. And Grayson at 22 is a good middle ground. I don't see him climbing much higher, but he could fall lower if he has more performances like he had against BC.

Overall this is a good reminder that we have as much talent as anybody on our roster. I don't want to overreact to our first loss, but like I said a few of these projections seem a little high to me.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    In OPK's realm, it was much more likely a random semicolon.

;
    Grow up listening to William Shatner. End; up; with a; different way; of; constructing sentences.

Grow up listening to William Shatner. End; up; with a; different way; of; constructing sentences.
    Thought experiment: What if ee cummings wrote William Shatner’s scripts?
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    A market in my town regularly carries Pliny the Elder (which in a double IPA and comes in bottles). A keg of Pliny the Younger, a triple IPA, appears at select pubs every February, including my local establishment. PtY is also available at the brewery, of course -- also in early February. I'm partial to Blind Pig.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    It might've been an "age" -- juvenile, I believe.
    Two crowns were worn. Gotta mean something.

Young Tyus?
    Man, I am so darn tired of this OAD treadmill. It’s such a total deal with the devil. And not the blue one, mind you, but the scary red one.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Wow! I'm impressed that you guys know about Pliny. Generally regarded as one of the finest IPA's around, but only brewed in limited amounts. My local store in Cali gets delivery once a week, and if you don't get there by that evening, it's all gone. And even then, you are only allowed to buy 4 bottles at a time.

Does Pliny get all the way to NC?

Evidently, the brewers suggest you drink it right away, as it losses some of its flavor if you let it sit.

Quote Originally Posted by Faison1 View Post
    Wow! I'm impressed that you guys know about Pliny. Generally regarded as one of the finest IPA's around, but only brewed in limited amounts. My local store in Cali gets delivery once a week, and if you don't get there by that evening, it's all gone. And even then, you are only allowed to buy 4 bottles at a time.

Does Pliny get all the way to NC?

Evidently, the brewers suggest you drink it right away, as it losses some of its flavor if you let it sit.
    I think you underestimate the degree of alcohol snobbery around DBR

While pliny doesn't make it's way here, really, the great craft culture in the state means that there are a good number of bars that carry fantastic craft stuff from all over the country...and as such, the proper beer snob has cultivated knowledge of such rare delicacies as Pliny and Heady Topper. (I also lived in the bay area for most of last year and befriended many a beer fan)
    1200. DDMF.