Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill

Lawyers - question about jury duty (I'm not trying to get out of it)

My 20 year old son with an anxiety disorder was just summoned for jury duty. He's probably well enough to actually serve but the venue is too far away for my son to get to. He doesn't drive and public transportation would take nearly 2 hours, train and bus. He is not up to making that trip on public transportation yet. Massachusetts says that mere inconvenience is not reason enough to change venues. So, advice? Should he try to change the venue or just go for a medical disqualification?

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    My 20 year old son with an anxiety disorder was just summoned for jury duty. He's probably well enough to actually serve but the venue is too far away for my son to get to. He doesn't drive and public transportation would take nearly 2 hours, train and bus. He is not up to making that trip on public transportation yet. Massachusetts says that mere inconvenience is not reason enough to change venues. So, advice? Should he try to change the venue or just go for a medical disqualification?
    Sorry to hear that.

It depends on the local Judge, of course, but if you can get a medical waiver that certainly could not hurt. See if you can scan it to the clerk and see if he can avoid appearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I'm not licensed to practice in Massachusetts, but here in Missouri, each court manages its own jury pool, so there wouldn't be a mechanism for getting out of place A in order to go to place B.

The courts consider all kinds of hardship in determining whether someone will be excused from jury duty, and if he's only 20, with anxiety disorder, not driving, etc., from where I sit that is more than "inconvenience" if he isn't up to the public transportation piece. It's worth a try.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I'm not licensed to practice in Massachusetts, but here in Missouri, each court manages its own jury pool, so there wouldn't be a mechanism for getting out of place A in order to go to place B.

The courts consider all kinds of hardship in determining whether someone will be excused from jury duty, and if he's only 20, with anxiety disorder, not driving, etc., from where I sit that is more than "inconvenience" if he isn't up to the public transportation piece. It's worth a try.
    Jury duty is assigned by county in Massachusetts and it's just about the only thing that is. There is no such thing as "county land" in New England. Everything is part of a town. We live in a gigantic county with multiple courthouses, he could ask to be sent to one closer to home. They don't always grant such requests though. You have to prove hardship.

I heard radio djs just yesterday relaying some story (maybe from Ireland?) where a 54 y.o. man got out of jury duty by explaining to the judge that he was in love for the first time and had some romantic getaway planned so couldn't serve.