Pat DiNizio (Smithereens), RIP

Never huge commercially but a personal favorite.

If you have a streaming service, the Smithereens had a great Christmas album, Christmas With the Smithereens.

http://variety.com/2017/music/news/p...ad-1202638793/

Sad to hear. Always liked their music. Have a few of their songs on the iphone playlist. Missed out a chance to see them in concert a few years back because life got in the way.

First concert i took my wife too.we had had a short break up and blue period had just came out. a absolutely great showmanship.
    really a bummer.
    We saw the ramones the next night.
    All smithreens music reminds me of some of the best years of my youth.

while setting up my RPi3 with LibreElec's video add-ons, I decided to see what I could play from Sundance TV.

Bull Durham!

At the start of an early scene in the bar/restaurant, with Annie, Max Patkin, Crash, and Nuke*, a Smithereens song is playing [This is the scene which ends with Crash daring Nuke to throw a baseball at his chest from close range]

That brought back some reminisces, well, really only a memory, especially for you DBR-ers: Bull Durham was filmed during my time at Duke; as a short-sighted, crazy mixed-up kid, I didn't bother to go to the park to be an extra in the crowd (inconvenient, had to wear summer clothes in the cold, and who knew if anything would come of it? Besides, who wants to walk back alone at midnight?). They say when you're old, you regret more the things you didn't do, rather than the things you did. Another missed opportunity. Time and time again, when will I ever learn?

But during those same years, the Smithereens joined my music rotation, and provided many hours of listening enjoyment. Lost track of them after awhile but sad to hear Pat DiNizio is gone. His voice was in my head during those years and for some time afterwards.

* not sure he was known as Nuke at this point. I think not.

I liked that band a lot. I played in a cover band and we used to cover a couple of their tunes, too.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust