View Poll Results: What will Duke's ACC record be?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • 17-1

5 4.59%
  • 16-2

6 5.50%
  • 15-3

36 33.03%
  • 14-4

30 27.52%
  • 13-5

23 21.10%
  • 12-6

8 7.34%
  • 11-7

1 0.92%
  • 10-8

0 0%
  • 9-9

0 0%
  • Something worse

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    The two games coming scare me. I would LOVE to get out 1-1 or 2-0. v FSU who is undefeated I think and always plays Duke tough and then at State.. those two are v hard games imo
    Absolutely. An 0-3 start in conference is a very real possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Absolutely. An 0-3 start in conference is a very real possibility.
    right, not having recency bias w BC... its actually anti-recency bias. FSU is always a tough out for Duke (physical team, big guards, not sure why exactly but they are always a v tough out for us).. and then State is always apt to get us in Raleigh.

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    right, not having recency bias w BC... its actually anti-recency bias. FSU is always a tough out for Duke (physical team, big guards, not sure why exactly but they are always a v tough out for us).. and then State is always apt to get us in Raleigh.
    Recent Duke records at NCSU and home against FSU:

Duke @NC State:
    Last 5 games: 2-3
    Last 10 games: 5-5
    Last 15 games: 10-5

Duke hosting FSU:
    Last 5 games: 4-1
    Last 10 games: 8-2
    Last 15 games: 13-2

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Recent Duke records at NCSU and home against FSU:

Duke @NC State:
    Last 5 games: 2-3
    Last 10 games: 5-5
    Last 15 games: 10-5

Duke hosting FSU:
    Last 5 games: 4-1
    Last 10 games: 8-2
    Last 15 games: 13-2
    So, the ACC schedules Duke @ NC State early in the season on the potential that a State win will lead to the total meltdown of DBR.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

39-1. As long as we win the last game in April, I’m good! LGD GTHc 9F!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

RPI Forecast, which uses Sagarin, has us favored in every game but @UNC. He only picks us to tie for first with UVA and UNC at 13-5.
    Pomeroy has the same favorite analysis, but I can't give you predicted standings.

I'm not changing my prediction much from Friday. Miami has the easiest schedule followed by Duke, the difference ultimately being the location of the Duke-Miami game.
    @Miami and @VT are the games I fear the most on the schedule.

Miami 15-3 (@FSU, @VT, @ND, @UNC are the challenges).
    Duke 15-3 (@BC, @Miami, @VT).
    UVA 13-5
    TBD for the last double bye

UNC 10-8 (@Duke, @UVA, @ND, @FSU, @VT, @Syracuse, @Louisville. Duke, ND, and Miami are more than able to win @UNC).

We will certainly lose 1 game. After that- it is just a guess.

I predict a great team

I will go with 16/2, which was my prediction before the BC fiasco. The defense will improve with the team getting practice time to build on the intricacies of M2M — switching, hedging and icing. They also better recapture that trapping zone they employed against MSU. Passive zones are not very effective.

I love their offensive potential against anyone. As the season goes by I expect these freshmen plus Grayson to develop into an outstanding team. (They’ve been pretty good so far. Even being ranked#4 is not too shabby.). I don’t expect any home losses. The home crowd won’t let Grayson go 1 for 9 and those great Duke runs will lead to many blowouts. I also think we won’t get so many questionable calls down the stretch of a close game. Last, I like our favorable schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by indy1duke View Post
    I will go with 16/2, which was my prediction before the BC fiasco. The defense will improve with the team getting practice time to build on the intricacies of M2M — switching, hedging and icing. They also better recapture that trapping zone they employed against MSU. Passive zones are not very effective.

I love their offensive potential against anyone. As the season goes by I expect these freshmen plus Grayson to develop into an outstanding team. (They’ve been pretty good so far. Even being ranked#4 is not too shabby.). I don’t expect any home losses. The home crowd won’t let Grayson go 1 for 9 and those great Duke runs will lead to many blowouts. I also think we won’t get so many questionable calls down the stretch of a close game. Last, I like our favorable schedule.
    Grayson went 1/9 from beyond the arc on 1/23/17(NCS).
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    RPI Forecast, which uses Sagarin, has us favored in every game but @UNC. He only picks us to tie for first with UVA and UNC at 13-5.
    Pomeroy has the same favorite analysis, but I can't give you predicted standings.

I'm not changing my prediction much from Friday. Miami has the easiest schedule followed by Duke, the difference ultimately being the location of the Duke-Miami game.
    @Miami and @VT are the games I fear the most on the schedule.

Miami 15-3 (@FSU, @VT, @ND, @UNC are the challenges).
    UVA 13-5
    TBD for the last double bye

UNC 10-8 (@Duke, @UVA, @ND, @FSU, @VT, @Syracuse, @Louisville. Duke, ND, and Miami are more than able to win @UNC).
    T-Rank (Bart Torvik's site, which is like Kenpom), has UNC favored in all but 4 ACC games, but some are just by .1 point, like FSU game (same as with their OOC Tennessee; since that's a Barnes team, who is Roy kryptonite second only to K I expect an L). But T-Rank still has UNC going 12-6 in ACC. It's just a short ride from there to 10-8. They'll get a lot of folks best shot (if not reserved for Duke) as defending champs and for, uh, other reasons. The schedule goddess who has smiled last couple of years has changed things up.

15-3, but as long as we are 2-0, or 3-0 (again) vs. the CHeaters and we get a good NCAA path, I don't really care.

I chose 13-5, but we could easily range anywhere from 11-7 to 15-3, in my opinion. A lot depends on how they gel, how they deal with losses and adversity, and the absence of injuries.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post

Let me add @Clemson to the possible loss lists for Duke and UNC. I'll stick with the 15-3 prediction for Duke and take ND off the home list for UNC. Littlejohn can be very tough if the Tigers don't fall apart by February.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    One day - not today - that overreaction tendency will. Be what finally drives me from this board. A Psych 101 class could study us for a primer in manic depression. Each win leads to talk of an undefeated season. A loss means we probably won't make the tournament.

I know it is a global trend in our Twitter-based universe, but I lack the intestinal fortitude to re-evaluate all my perspectives on a moment to moment basis.

All that said... Three losses feels about right.
    If it makes you feel any better, this is not a thing unique to Duke or Duke fans. In fact, this board is probably OVERALL less reactionary than most that I visit.

ex. We beat Davidson by 20 and after the game, there was a full blown meltdown because.... and I'm 100% serious here.... the BROTHER of one of our freshmen posted on facebook that "it's time for my bro to COME HOME". People took it as a sign that said player is considering a transfer. Actually took it as closer to a certainty that said player is about to transfer. Complete meltdown, and on a nice we had a really nice win. Makes me SMDH.

I think between @State @Miami @UNC we lose two, and between our home games against UVA, ND, UNC, Louisville we lose two. UVA’s defense is tailor-made to stop us, and ND will light us up from three. So 13-5. Normally I’d account for another random loss out of nowhere, but I’m hoping we’ve already gotten that one out of the way.
    Well I was pretty close, we only lost one of those tough home games but then added the road loss to VT. Congrats to me and my 22 friends who correctly predicted our final conference record of 13-5.

Thanks for pulling this back to the top. We all got the BC loss wrong but the others were close. So since most of us thought Duke would have 4 to 5 losses why do we all go crazy when they lose.

Well I was pretty close, we only lost one of those tough home games but then added the road loss to VT. Congrats to me and my 22 friends who correctly predicted our final conference record of 13-5.
    Yep, we got it right. Didn't think that would get us 2nd place, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, this is not a thing unique to Duke or Duke fans. In fact, this board is probably OVERALL less reactionary than most that I visit..
    Allow me a slightly different take. Going onto this forum last night and seeing the venting really helped me not feel the need to vent verbally. I never fired a single F bomb at the TV, which normally I would have done about 20 times in a half like the first half. I made a few posts, relatively gentle, but seeing the others venting was cathartic for me.

Everyone is different...I would bet that those posters who made the most negative comments just needed to blow off steam for a few seconds...some people are wired that way...one or two seconds of anger then boom, gone. That's how I am to a degree. I think some others are too.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Thanks for pulling this back to the top. We all got the BC loss wrong but the others were close. So since most of us thought Duke would have 4 to 5 losses why do we all go crazy when they lose.
    And Duke was in every game they lost.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    To be clear, this poll was created AFTER the BC loss.