Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Yeah. Tyus’s 5.6 assists a game va Trevon’s 7.0 assists a game really helps to prove your point.
    And Tyus was a much better shooter. Tyus was both a scoring point guard and good distributor. GoDuke!

Duval is playing the toughest position for a coach who demands the most from players in said position. He had a bad game. You know who else had a bad game? Wendell Cater. The Duval criticism is insane on DBR.
    I think insane is a good word.

He's not perfect...but he's still a really good player. People want tyus and kyrie from every PG that walks into the doors of cameron. he's not tyus or kyrie, but he's still really really good. his A/TO is nearly 3, and he's averaging 12.5 points while not getting into foul trouble. From a freshman PG? sounds good to me.

He makes mistakes of being too aggressive sometimes, sure....but what's disappointing is that SHOULD be an easy fix...but he seems to lapse back into the pattern.

I see him giving effort and making freshman mistakes. get his head under control, and he's a heck of a player.
    April 1

The refs called Bagley differently today. As a result, he wasn’t his aggressive self. He was very hesitant. I don’t blame him. BC was really smart with Bagley this game. Their coaching was incredible. We got out coached. Nothing wrong with that.
    Also got out shot in critical moments. Duke was in a position to win and did not execute. Good teams execute. Duke has done so up to today. Hopefully they figure it out. .

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Toughest stat for me to take is that we got outrebounded 35-34.
    That is huge...especially since we are the taller team. I don't know how those boards translated to second chance points, but I would guess that we come up on the short end of that stick.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Blue KevIL View Post
    Since the introduction of the Black Uniforms in 1996-97:
    • Duke has played 131 games wearing Black with a record of 92-39 (.7023) -- 34 losses on the Road with 27 Court Stormings
    • Duke has played 136 games wearing Blue with a record of 95-41 (.6985) -- 34 losses on the Road with 23 Court Stormings
    Here are the Splits:

BLACK vs RANKED (AWAY) 29 Games 18 Wins 11 Losses .6207 BLACK vs UNRANKED (AWAY) 76 Games 53 Wins 23 Losses .6974 BLACK vs ALL (AWAY) 105 Games 71 Wins 34 Losses .6762
    BLACK vs RANKED (NEUTRAL) 13 Games 8 Wins 5 Losses .6154 BLACK vs UNRANKED (NEUTRAL) 12 Games 12 Wins 0 Losses 1.000 BLACK vs ALL (NEUTRAL) 25 Games 20 Wins 5 Losses .8000
    BLACK vs RANKED (HOME) 0 Games 0 Wins 0 Losses .0000 BLACK vs UNRANKED (HOME) 1 Games 1 Wins 0 Losses 1.000 BLACK vs ALL (HOME) 1 Games 1 Wins 0 Losses 1.000
    BLACK vs RANKED (TOTAL) 42 Games 26 Wins 16 Losses .6190 BLACK vs UNRANKED (TOTAL) 89 Games 66 Wins 23 Losses .7416 BLACK vs ALL (TOTAL) 131 Games 92 Wins 39 Losses .7023
    BLUE vs RANKED (AWAY) 37 Games 17 Wins 20 Losses .4595 BLUE vs UNRANKED (AWAY) 68 Games 54 Wins 14 Losses .7941 BLUE vs ALL (AWAY) 105 Games 71 Wins 34 Losses .6762
    BLUE vs RANKED (NEUTRAL) 14 Games 8 Wins 6 Losses .5714 BLUE vs UNRANKED (NEUTRAL) 17 Games 16 Wins 1 Losses .9412 BLUE vs ALL (NEUTRAL) 31 Games 24 Wins 7 Losses .7742
    BLUE vs RANKED (HOME) 0 Games 0 Wins 0 Losses .0000 BLUE vs UNRANKED (HOME) 0 Games 0 Wins 0 Losses .0000 BLUE vs ALL (HOME) 0 Games 0 Wins 0 Losses .0000
    BLUE vs RANKED (TOTAL) 51 Games 25 Wins 26 Losses .4902 BLUE vs UNRANKED (TOTAL) 85 Games 70 Wins 15 Losses .8235 BLUE vs ALL (TOTAL) 136 Games 95 Wins 41 Losses .6985

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I think insane is a good word.

He's not perfect...but he's still a really good player. People want tyus and kyrie from every PG that walks into the doors of cameron. he's not tyus or kyrie, but he's still really really good. his A/TO is nearly 3, and he's averaging 12.5 points while not getting into foul trouble. From a freshman PG? sounds good to me.
    I think Trevon is a really good player but like all freshmen he has some room for improvement. Like Grayson today, Trevon could have played better. However neither lacked for effort. One player that seemed to lack the effort that those two gave was Carter. It looked like Coach K sat him for a good stretch because he was out of place on defense. That really hurt on the switches up top that resulted on some open threes. Just my opinion. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by InSpades View Post
    1st off, congrats to BC. They played great. Hot shooting aside... cause some might just say they were hot, they played a great game.

We turned the defensive intensity up a bit in the 2nd half... it still wasn't great but was miles better than the 1st half. We need that for 40 minutes every game. Maybe they'll figure that out soon.

Bowman and Robinson are from North Carolina and seem to love playing the Big 4 teams. Last year BC had some leads on UNC and were within 2 with 8 minutes left. Bowman had 33 and Robinson 18 that day. BC seems to be turning a corner. A shame they lost Hawkins for the year, but they will give some teams fits.

The 2015 Duke team got blown out at home by Miami. They turned out ok.

bowman and robinson...off the chain..

MUST IMPROVE DEFENSE!!!
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by wobatus View Post
    Bowman and Robinson are from North Carolina and seem to love playing the Big 4 teams. Last year BC had some leads on UNC and were within 2 with 8 minutes left. Bowman had 33 and Robinson 18 that day. BC seems to be turning a corner. A shame they lost Hawkins for the year, but they will give some teams fits.

The 2015 Duke team got blown out at home by Miami. They turned out ok.
    That same team also lost @NC State by double digits in the previous game. The start of the ACC schedule was a struggle. Not unreasonable to expect the same from this team.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

I seem to recall this board getting all over Tatum last year when he dribbled the ball off his heel at the end of the NCSU game. I tried to remind people he was just a freshman and at least he didn't shy away from wanting the ball in that situation. I think he ended up having a pretty good season and I believe that when all was said and done he was our best player last year.

As our PG, Trevon has his hands on the ball more than any other player on our team and therefore his mistakes tend to standout. This isn't something we should be surprised at and since we've clearly gone down the OAD road we'd better get used to it.

Tons of credit to BC for hanging tough even when we took the lead near the end of the game. They could have folded, but they kept playing their game while we made some questionable decisions on the offensive end.

As a fan of Duke basketball I know that we've won more than our share of games we had no business winning due to our hot shooting from 3 pt land. Today it was our turn to get lit up by an undersized but hot shooting team. We'll win more than our share of games this year pounding people in the paint, but today wasn't that day.

BC played great - props to them.
    Our defense is a work in progress, and guarding quick, good-shooting teams (or at least teams that shoot good) will be a challenge for us all year. But I like our team a lot.
    I thought Coach K got out x'ed and o'ed a bit in this game, but that happens sometimes. I'm sure he's having to modify his strategy in response to our new personnel this year.

The Duval criticism is insane on DBR.
    Insane seems a fair description of it.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Duvall is not the answer to our PG problems. I think he'll continue to be a liability on offense for the rest of the year.
    Duval is the answer to the PG problems. The problem is that he thinks he's a shooting guard. Dish first, drive and dish second, shoot third. He'll learn, I hope.

Glad I didn't watch

...I find losses like this infuriating. We played a team that will struggle to get to a .500 record, and won't make the tournament. But today they outplayed us and won.

I get the reason (we are young, they are jack-up, they shot insanely, etc.). And I know all the other arguments about previous year (Miami drilled us at home in '15, we got blown out at G'Town in '10 etc).

Here's the thing - all the losses like this, at least since the 1-and-done era started, look like this. The other team shoots out of it's mind, our defense is terrible, which eventually leads to a lack of focus on the offense end, which degenerates into hero ball and bad decision making. On the whole, our offense will look fine, but our defense will be the culprit. And some hustle stat, like, say, rebounding, will look odd, because our focus/effort/decision-making wasn't there.

Yeah, we'll be better. Yeah, they'll learn from it. But I HATE underperforming our talent. And we did today. By a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Toughest stat for me to take is that we got outrebounded 35-34.
    That is huge...especially since we are the taller team. I don't know how those boards translated to second chance points, but I would guess that we come up on the short end of that stick.
    In the press conference, K talked about this, and how many of those second chances led to made 3s which were like punches in the stomach.

He also lauded BC and said he thought Duke fought really hard. He didn’t slag the team’s effort at all. When asked about the poor defense, K kind of fell back on two of his old saws “we haven’t practiced” and “we aren’t deep”. His point about the depth had to do with perimeter depth, saying that it limits your line-ups. Translation - we don’t have the horses to play small if any of the guards have foul trouble. I think Javin fouling out hurt in that regard.

Too bad for Gary that his huge offensive day ended in a L.

I’ll ride with Trevon anytime, I think he’s a team oriented guy who is all about winning and I thinn his erratic plays are about trying to help the team win rather than it being about him getting the shine for leading us to a win.

I like Duval. I see a lot more positives than negatives with him. If I want to get nit picky, I’d say that it seems like he reaches and picks up some quick, early fouls. That has led in a couple of games to longer stretches on the bench. Then Grayson shifts to PG, and we lose some of his threat as a 2. Again, nit picky and I’m sure Duval will correct it. We are best with our best weapons in place.

I was pretty surprised how the lowered the lights way down as the students rushed the court.

Disappointing, but hard to win when the opponent is shooting like that. They showed heart making the comeback and getting the lead. The three that took the lead away was well defended with a hand in the face. The man to man is a work in progress, and the only way it is going to get better is to practice it in game situations.

Trevon's game is pretty advanced for a freshman. Wouldn't want to see him taking more than two three point attempts per game, and he doesn't, but his drives into the paint and on the break are an important part of the offense.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    That same team also lost @NC State by double digits in the previous game. The start of the ACC schedule was a struggle. Not unreasonable to expect the same from this team.
    They were kenpom 173 last year and now 86. Off a big win of course. Sure, they are thin but those 2 can go off and a little better this year. Mitchell the freshman was solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Insane seems a fair description of it.
    Like someone pointed out upthread, because he has the ball in his hands, everything is magnified.

I love Duval and I absolutely think people are too hard on him, especially considering that it's early in the season . . . but . . . the one glaring weakness in his game is his perimeter shooting, and despite all the good things he did today, on two possessions in the second half, with Duke trying to create space in the scoring column, Duval gambled on that weakness actually suddenly becoming a strength to help Duke stretch hard-fought slim leads vs. a hot-shooting BC team. I think both three-attempts I'm referring to came from the left side of the court, one was definitely from the corner.

A Duval three is the one play that BC would have most wanted on a Duke possession, other than a turnover. As for Duke, A Duval three is usually just an opportunity to get an offensive rebound and either reset the play, or get a put-back if available. Today, BC did enough to minimize our ability to make something of those errant three-point shots.

I'd be interested to know how many offensive rebounds we get off of Duval threes and what the result of those plays are (score or turnover etc.).