Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by devilseven View Post
    Black uniforms. Have we ever played well in black uniforms?
    Since the introduction of the Black Uniforms in 1996-97:
    • Duke has played 131 games wearing Black with a record of 92-39 (.7023) -- 34 losses on the Road with 27 Court Stormings
    • Duke has played 136 games wearing Blue with a record of 95-41 (.6985) -- 34 losses on the Road with 23 Court Stormings

Quote Originally Posted by Blue KevIL View Post
    • Duke has played 131 games wearing Black with a record of 92-39 (.7023) -- 34 losses on the Road with 27 Court Stormings
    • Duke has played 136 games wearing Blue with a record of 95-41 (.6985) -- 34 losses on the Road with 23 Court Stormings
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9_pPqWfI84

people have short memories...
    April 1

1st off, congrats to BC. They played great. Hot shooting aside... cause some might just say they were hot, they played a great game.

If Duke plays offense in the 2nd half like they played in the 1st half... we probably win the game anyway. I love Grayson but you have to know when it's not your night... er... afternoon. It's great that he wants the ball in his hands and if it's not in the post w/ Bagley then that's where it should be. But he has to create for his teammates and not take tough forced shots.

We shot 30 3s and 39 2s. In a game where Grayson couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. This is just dumb offense, I don't know how else to put it. Many of the 3s were outside the flow of the offense.

On our 3s we scored 24 points... .8 points per shot. On our 2s we were 24 of 39. That's 1.23 points per shot. This is ignoring the fact that we are much more likely to go to the line when shootings 2s and much more likely to get an offensive rebound (especially one close to the basket).

Our defense was not good... but our shot selection was worse. It seemed like we panicked in the 2nd half. We took a bunch of out of control drives as well but at least many of those led to offensive rebounds.

We turned the defensive intensity up a bit in the 2nd half... it still wasn't great but was miles better than the 1st half. We need that for 40 minutes every game. Maybe they'll figure that out soon.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    We scored 80+ points. BC/Duke fan base was 60/40. Crowd pretty lame until final minute. Duke needs some defensive urgency.
    Except when Grayson had the ball. GoDuke!

Not sure there's a lot to really take away from this game - we lose when the other team hits 15 threes? OK, whatever.

The only small exception is that I think we'd be better right now if Duval wasn't a starter and we played through Grayson as PG - but we're targeting March, and playing Duval now is probably better in the longer term.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by devilseven View Post
    Black uniforms. Have we ever played well in black uniforms?
    I missed the game today as I was in the arena watching Michigan's comeback OT win over the UCLA Lavar Balls. I was confounded by how we let this game slip through our fingers. This explains everything.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Except when Grayson had the ball. GoDuke!
    Just basic booing. Nothing creative. Grayson did really well with the crowd and talked with officials. He was great. Can’t say the same for our bigs.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue KevIL View Post
    As a soon to be PhD in Applied Mathematics, my analysis of these numbers are... um... I HATE BLACK UNIFORMS THEY ARE CURSED THE END. That's how Math works, haha.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    Using my eye test, our D looked pretty bad. I am sure there exists some quantitative measure that contradicts this and will prove that our D is average to above average. But it sure doesn't look that way.
    Well, relative to other top teams, our D is trending towards being pretty bad. Unfortunately this is following a familiar refrain to past teams since 2012 (2015 being the anomaly). About 3 weeks ago we were 36th in defensive eficiency in Kenpom. Now we're 70th. Before today we were in the upper 50's.

I think K has been making a concerted effort to drill man-to-man habits into this team by no longer resorting to zone like he did in the first 5 games. Unfortunately it's just not going well and it's probably going to keep getting worse before any possibility of getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Not sure there's a lot to really take away from this game - we lose when the other team hits 15 threes? OK, whatever.

The only small exception is that I think we'd be better right now if Duval wasn't a starter and we played through Grayson as PG - but we're targeting March, and playing Duval now is probably better in the longer term.
    Duval is playing the toughest position for a coach who demands the most from players in said position. He had a bad game. You know who else had a bad game? Wendell Cater. The Duval criticism is insane on DBR.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

The biggest idiot in the building was the one that made the choice to turn out the lights just before the lame court storming. In the world we live in today, that could have turned out bad. It only takes one nut job to take a cheap shot at the most hated player in sports and do some damage to his career. GoDuke!

On offense Bagley spent most of the 2nd half hanging around the 3 pt line, trying to set picks. I understand attempting to run a pick and roll for him but that wasn't working. I just don't understand why we didn't set up more with him under the basket? He's almost unstoppable when he receives the ball in or around the paint - he'll score or get fouled or make a great inside out pass 90% of the time. Plus we need him inside for his offensive rebound put backs. Seems like we just sheathed our best weapon when we needed it most and I don't understand the reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    On offense Bagley spent most of the 2nd half hanging around the 3 pt line, trying to set picks. I understand attempting to run a pick and roll for him but that wasn't working. I just don't understand why we didn't set up more with him under the basket. He's almost unstoppable when he receives the ball in or around the paint - he'll score or get fouled or make a great inside out pass 90% of the time. Seems like we just sheathed our best weapon when we needed it most.
    The refs called Bagley differently today. As a result, he wasn’t his aggressive self. He was very hesitant. I don’t blame him. BC was really smart with Bagley this game. Their coaching was incredible. We got out coached. Nothing wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    On offense Bagley spent most of the 2nd half hanging around the 3 pt line, trying to set picks. I understand attempting to run a pick and roll for him but that wasn't working. I just don't understand why we didn't set up more with him under the basket. He's almost unstoppable when he receives the ball in or around the paint - he'll score or get fouled or make a great inside out pass 90% of the time. Seems like we just sheathed our best weapon when we needed it most.
    In the first half Marvin was stationed down low and he got some touches and some put backs. But like you mention, in the 2nd half he was mainly at the top of the circle setting screens. I didn't get that either. GoDuke!

Duval is playing the toughest position for a coach who demands the most from players in said position. He had a bad game. You know who else had a bad game? Wendell Cater. The Duval criticism is insane on DBR.
    Seems to me Duval is a score first PG who's being asked to pass first and distribute the ball. Then he gets antsy that he's not scoring and forces something. Tyus Jones obviously was the complete opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post

This is a recipe that almost always results in a loss for Duke. (Or, any other team for that matter. But, I don't watch too many other teams.) A player, or players, go HAM on us shooting because they're up to play Duke.

And, according to the template, we lose our focus and, eventually, the game.

One other thing that hurt was Trevon getting in foul trouble early in the game. His 2nd foul came after a mistake on offense and he just reached out and grabbed the BC player. He's got to learn that he's too valuable to the team to sit on the bench for long stretches. Once again a freshman learning experience. Let's hope the players pay attention to the coaches when teaching begins at the next practice session. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by WHOneedsSOX View Post
    Seems to me Duval is a score first PG who's being asked to pass first and distribute the ball. Then he gets antsy that he's not scoring and forces something. Tyus Jones obviously was the complete opposite.
    Yeah. Tyus’s 5.6 assists a game va Trevon’s 7.0 assists a game really helps to prove your point.

Yeah. Tyus’s 5.6 assists a game va Trevon’s 7.0 assists a game really helps to prove your point.
    So you think Duval is a pass first point guard?

I thought Duke was in very good shape when the BC lead was cut to one at 66-65 with 9+ minutes remaining in the second half and we were already in the double bonus. I anticipated that much of the rest of the game would be spent at the foul line. Unfortunately we didn't take advantage of this. Bagley and Carter got few touches around the rim and we continued to settle for jumpers.