Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

A series of unfortunate events

Is anybody else watching "A Series of Unfortunate Events"? We're partway into season 2 and it's quite good. I've never read any of the books, so I never had any expectations for it. Neil Patrick Harris is crushing it.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I know others have mentioned it up-thread, but here's another vote for Sneaky Pete on Amazon Prime.
    I love Sneaky Pete, though I kept on getting lost in season two as they talked about stuff that happened in season 1 without giving us a reminder of that stuff. I mean, I watched season 1 a year ago! At least give me a "previously on..." to help out!

That said, I think it is a really good show and a binge of both seasons would be a good time that would fly by.

Did anybody else watch Altered Carbon? Whew, talk about a gorgeous looking mess! Looked like a show with a huge budget and some great actors, but the story just went all over the place. I enjoyed it, but it was really confusing at times. It sorta felt like they packed 3 seasons worth of stories into 1 season. I am eagerly awaiting my new sleeve though... make me 20 again, please!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I love Sneaky Pete, though I kept on getting lost in season two as they talked about stuff that happened in season 1 without giving us a reminder of that stuff. I mean, I watched season 1 a year ago! At least give me a "previously on..." to help out!

That said, I think it is a really good show and a binge of both seasons would be a good time that would fly by.

Did anybody else watch Altered Carbon? Whew, talk about a gorgeous looking mess! Looked like a show with a huge budget and some great actors, but the story just went all over the place. I enjoyed it, but it was really confusing at times. It sorta felt like they packed 3 seasons worth of stories into 1 season. I am eagerly awaiting my new sleeve though... make me 20 again, please!
    I watched a couple of the first Sneaky Pete episodes, it didn't draw me in enough and I stopped. I might go back and check it out. I'm through most of Altered Carbon. A "gorgeous looking mess" is an apt description. I'll still finish soon. Really looking forward to season 2 of Westworld (don't know if that's a good cord cutting topic but could be if you have the HBO app...)

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    I know I recently started another thread on this, but do yourselves a favor and watch Santa Clarita Diet on Netflix. It is just fun. I find myself thinking that I cannot believe Drew Berrymore is doing this, but she is and she is all in. The whole cast is and it must be a blast to make. I would love to see the gag reel on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    I know I recently started another thread on this, but do yourselves a favor and watch Santa Clarita Diet on Netflix. It is just fun. I find myself thinking that I cannot believe Drew Berrymore is doing this, but she is and she is all in. The whole cast is and it must be a blast to make. I would love to see the gag reel on this one.
    It really is a great cast. My better half and I are not breeders, but I like to think that if we were we would have a sassy daughter like the one in the show. The various cop neighbors are fantastic. The other real estate agents are amazing.

Again, it is definitely for a niche audience, but if it tickles you, it is a treat.

If you like period pieces, Babylon Berlin on Netflix is a solid crime/political intrigue drama.

It's a German show, so it's with subtitles, but the dialogue doesn't flood you like some movies with subtitles do. Unfortunately, one episode was out of synch and that was a pain, but still manageable.

Babylon Berlin is excellent. A fascinating, dramatic period series with really cool dancing and a big time night club. But you don't need to use subtitles because the dialogue is primarily in English. And it doesn't appear to be dubbed in.
    Agree with Jason on Sneaky Pete. Love the show but couldn't remember the parts of series one that are now prominent in series 2.

Lost in space!!!!! Netflix!!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Lost in space!!!!! Netflix!!
    I've been watching it, but not enjoying it. The first two episodes drove me nuts with the over the top scenes of constant peril. At least one of them should have been dead like three times by now. I'm not a big fan of the new Dr. Jekyll / Mr. Hyde robot, and "Dr. Smith" is annoying the snot out of me with her constant underhanded evilness.
    It's odd, because on paper, that all sounds like it should be great! Obviously Netflix spent a huge chunk 'o change on this show, so to have it fall so flat is disappointing. I've watched 4 episodes so far, and I'll watch until the end, but I find myself so tempted to hit fast forward.
    Oh...one last thought, with the new groups coming in, I keep thinking they are going to go off on a Walking Dead survivors vs survivors tangent. They may not, but the soap operaish groundwork is there.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I've been watching it, but not enjoying it. The first two episodes drove me nuts with the over the top scenes of constant peril. At least one of them should have been dead like three times by now. I'm not a big fan of the new Dr. Jekyll / Mr. Hyde robot, and "Dr. Smith" is annoying the snot out of me with her constant underhanded evilness.
    It's odd, because on paper, that all sounds like it should be great! Obviously Netflix spent a huge chunk 'o change on this show, so to have it fall so flat is disappointing. I've watched 4 episodes so far, and I'll watch until the end, but I find myself so tempted to hit fast forward.
    Oh...one last thought, with the new groups coming in, I keep thinking they are going to go off on a Walking Dead survivors vs survivors tangent. They may not, but the soap operaish groundwork is there.
    I would give it a solid B so far. The Dr.Smith plot line is terrible and I wish they would fix that...soon. I still think this show has big potential.

Off the radar recommendation if you either speak French or don't mind subtitles - Netflix's The Chalet.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    I would give it a solid B so far. The Dr.Smith plot line is terrible and I wish they would fix that...soon. I still think this show has big potential.
    By the way, one positive is that I enjoy the acting so far, and I think Parker Posey does a really good job with Smith. I just wish she weren't over the top rotten, and her character was more of a nuanced "not quite sure if she is rotten or not" type. But they made her 113% rotten and she just needs to be stuck in front a Jupiter engine ignition test.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Apologies if this is off-topic - do any of you cord-cutters have Hulu Live TV? If so, what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Apologies if this is off-topic - do any of you cord-cutters have Hulu Live TV? If so, what do you think?
    Watched some NHL playoffs on a friend's Hulu Live. His internet is spotty (way out in the Asheville mountains) and the quality was horrible. Not a great sample.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Netflix: Peaky Blinders, Master of None
    HBO: The Deuce, The Night Of

I'm sure I'm forgetting a ton, but I hadn't seen those mentioned yet.
    YES Peaky Blinders! Special for me is because I am from Birmingham (UK) and a lot of the places mentioned are where I grew up. Anyway, everyone I have ever recommended to watch it has loved it. The music is fantastic too.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Watched some NHL playoffs on a friend's Hulu Live. His internet is spotty (way out in the Asheville mountains) and the quality was horrible. Not a great sample.
    Board won't let me spork you but thank you for the reply - I appreciate the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    So, I just finished watching the 3rd season of Hap and Leonard on Sundance. Very dark, very weird, very violent, very good. What does that say about me? Anyway, I highly recommend if those adjectives do not bother you. The first two seasons are on Netflix, and hopefully the third will be there soon. The show is based on a series of books by Joe Lansdale. I just started the first book (the first season) and it is almost identical. Almost.
    Dammit! Just when I discover a show, it gets cancelled. Sundance has cancelled Hap and Leonard. Here's hoping it can follow the path of Longmire and get picked up by Netflix.

FYI, it was Sundance's highest rated show (like Longmire on A&E) and got 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    FYI, it was Sundance's highest rated show (like Longmire on A&E) and got 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.
    I've been looking around but I cannot find out why it got cancelled. It was the best and most successful thing Sundance has made. I'm confused.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Brockmire.
    It’s sports adjacent. Best 30 min of raunch lol funny currently being produced on TV.

Started watching Godless on Netflix and have really been enjoying it. It has a little bit of everything and the characters draw you in. It feels like Boardwalk Empire set in the West to me, not that the stories are remotely the same.