Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    If you were a fan of the Twilight Zone from back in the day you should try Black Mirror.
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    The first episode is probably one to skip until you've gotten a better feel for the series. Like the twilight zone, none of the episodes deal with each other so watching them out of order isn't a problem.
    Love this show and agree with PackMan about the first episode. It is not truly representative of the rest of the series. New episodes out December 29!

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Love this show and agree with PackMan about the first episode. It is not truly representative of the rest of the series. New episodes out December 29!
    I've watched the first 3 episodes of Black Mirror (I'll watch more). I like them but they are dark...not exactly feel good stories (which I don't need but it does mean that my wife won't be interested).

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I've watched the first 3 episodes of Black Mirror (I'll watch more). I like them but they are dark...not exactly feel good stories (which I don't need but it does mean that my wife won't be interested).
    There is one happy episode for your wife! San Junipero.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    We are the opposite. I have always been a big fan, but dark is why my gf won't watch Twilight Zone. "All they do is yell at each other and look depressed." It took me a while to figure out she's right. There are only a handful of "uplifting" TZs overall. Most have a dour flavor to them. But being that they are often stories of morality, it makes sense.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

The Twilight Zone

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    We are the opposite. I have always been a big fan, but dark is why my gf won't watch Twilight Zone. "All they do is yell at each other and look depressed." It took me a while to figure out she's right. There are only a handful of "uplifting" TZs overall. Most have a dour flavor to them. But being that they are often stories of morality, it makes sense.
    My favorite episode of The Twilight Zone is "The Obsolete Man," starring Burgess Meredith and Fritz Weaver, and it is both dark and uplifting at the same time. It is set in a totalitarian state where people are eliminated if they are "obsolete." Meredith plays a librarian, who is obsolete because the state has decided that there is no need for books. Obviously this is the dark part. I won't spoil the rest for you.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    My favorite episode of The Twilight Zone is "The Obsolete Man," starring Burgess Meredith and Fritz Weaver, and it is both dark and uplifting at the same time. It is set in a totalitarian state where people are eliminated if they are "obsolete." Meredith plays a librarian, who is obsolete because the state has decided that there is no need for books. Obviously this is the dark part. I won't spoil the rest for you.
    Love that one, too. Interesting that Meredith was in two episodes that featured books and the loss of reading.
    My favorite episode is definitely an uplifting one, The Night of the Meek, starring Art Carney as a drunken department store Santa.
    Also, one of only 6 episodes that was recorded on video instead of film. Good one to watch this time of year!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Love that one, too. Interesting that Meredith was in two episodes that featured books and the loss of reading.
    My favorite episode is definitely an uplifting one, The Night of the Meek, starring Art Carney as a drunken department store Santa.
    Also, one of only 6 episodes that was recorded on video instead of film. Good one to watch this time of year!
    Burgess Meredith is also in one of my other favorites, Printer's Devil, which I think is from the season in which the episodes were an hour long. Ditto for Passage on the Lady Anne.

Just watched USS Callister... simply brilliant. So much fun! I am not clear why he gets stuck in his own universe at the end, I found that sorta predictable, but it is a somewhat satisfying ending. I did like the way the main character seems quiet and sympathetic early in the episode, but soon turns into a horrible tyrant that we want to see trapped forever in nothingness.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I loved "American Vandal". As The Ringer puts it, "Netflix’s new eight-part mockumentary series takes comedy’s lowest-hanging fruit and elevates it into art."

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I loved "American Vandal". As The Ringer puts it, "Netflix’s new eight-part mockumentary series takes comedy’s lowest-hanging fruit and elevates it into art."
    That's bonafide funny stuff.

Two Amazon series I liked a lot are The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (renewed) and Good Girls Revolt (oddly and controversially cancelled, so there is only one season available).

Comedy Suggestion

Change of pace, since everyone's covered all the dramas already.

The first season of The Good Place is on Netflix. It's hilarious and smart, as well as somewhat unique in that it's a sitcom that's not entirely episodic. There's a throughline of plot advancement based on the initial premise [not really a spoiler because it's covered in the first five minutes of the first episode and in every written review of the show, but nonetheless]...of someone who's not where they're supposed to be in the afterlife... So there's a constant tension around that central item that escalates and probably needs to be resolved longterm. Also, the players are actually changing and growing as time passes (and so are their friendships and alliances). It's very unlike a traditional episodic sitcom where the idea is character and relationships are static, occasional romantic subplots excepted, and everyone's behavior is wholly predictable and that predictability supplies most of the humor.

It's also cool for nerds like us, in that there are gratuitous references to Kierkegaard and Socrates and discussions of utilitarianism and whatnot. There's a host of moral questions the show can (and does) dive into, given the premise. Can people change their basic nature? Is there any value in ethical thought without action? How are good behaviors valued compared to bad ones, morally? They even have an entire episode centered around the trolley problem in Season 2 (not yet on Netflix, unfortunately, but I've been watching on demand and recording on NBC). And the basic setting of the show raises a ton of religious questions without actually asking them or directly addressing even the existence of religion at all.

I'm not a network person and haven't been for about 15 years, but I've found that that applies more to dramas than comedies. So don't be put off by the source here - it may be NBC, but they had the sense to hire Ted Danson and Kristen Bell to carry this show, and they're terrific.

Quote Originally Posted by RPS View Post
    Two Amazon series I liked a lot are The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (renewed) and Good Girls Revolt (oddly and controversially cancelled, so there is only one season available).
    Echoing Mrs. Maisel. My stepmom recommended it to us, and we plowed through the first season in about a week. Waiting for season two is going to be cruel anticipation.

It's been a while...but the reboot of Battlestar Galactica is out on Amazon Prime. It's pretty good.

Andromeda is also a sci-fi show on Amazon Prime. It's, um, ya...it's on Amazon Prime. If you like bad sci-fi, maybe you won't hate it.

Next on my list are Electric Dreams (Philip K Dick series on Amazon) and Altered Carbon.

Just watched episode 1 of Black Mirror. Wife did not love it. I did.

I also finally got around to watching Rick and Morty. I think it's great.

Quote Originally Posted by RPS View Post
    Loved both of these. I was so bummed when Good Girls Revolt was cancelled.

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel might be the funniest thing on TV. Truly brilliant story with some great acting performances. The rapid-fire dialogue reminds me some of the best stuff Aaron Sorkin did on Sports Night (the best show in TV history that only lasted 2 seasons).

And if you have not seen Rick and Morty, you are really missing something. Many of the episodes are just silly, but every so often they have one that truly provides some biting commentary on society. Plus, there is some serious humor. The final episode of season 2 and opening episode of season 3 are truly brilliant. Pickle Rick is stunning. Cartoon Central plays old episodes in order pretty much every night at midnight. It is fairly easy to catch up... you won't be sorry.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel might be the funniest thing on TV. Truly brilliant story with some great acting performances. The rapid-fire dialogue reminds me some of the best stuff Aaron Sorkin did on Sports Night (the best show in TV history that only lasted 2 seasons).

And if you have not seen Rick and Morty, you are really missing something. Many of the episodes are just silly, but every so often they have one that truly provides some biting commentary on society. Plus, there is some serious humor. The final episode of season 2 and opening episode of season 3 are truly brilliant. Pickle Rick is stunning. Cartoon Central plays old episodes in order pretty much every night at midnight. It is fairly easy to catch up... you won't be sorry.
    I was sorry. I’ve never gotten into any animated series and it’s not for lack of trying. The Simpsons, South Park, King of the Hill and, most recently, Rick and Morty. I made it through about 15 minutes and lost interest. I don’t get it.

So, I just finished watching the 3rd season of Hap and Leonard on Sundance. Very dark, very weird, very violent, very good. What does that say about me? Anyway, I highly recommend if those adjectives do not bother you. The first two seasons are on Netflix, and hopefully the third will be there soon. The show is based on a series of books by Joe Lansdale. I just started the first book (the first season) and it is almost identical. Almost.

I know others have mentioned it up-thread, but here's another vote for Sneaky Pete on Amazon Prime.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust