Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Amazon Prime:
    Bosch - 3 Seasons (ongoing)
    Patriot - 1 Season (already renewed)
    Goliath - 1 Season (already renewed)

Netflix:
    Mindhunter - 1 Season (already renewed)

AMC:
    Halt And Catch Fire - 4 Seasons (completed)

Oh crap, after seeing all these lists of shows, it's official, I'm an addict. I've seen just about everything suggested (stared Godless yesterday). I may need help. I definitely need sleep.

I do watch stuff while I'm doing cardio in the gym but I also watch late night after the wife and kids go to sleep.

Netflix: Peaky Blinders, Master of None
    HBO: The Deuce, The Night Of

I'm sure I'm forgetting a ton, but I hadn't seen those mentioned yet.

After looking over some stuff:
    Amazon: Award winners Goliath and Mozart in the Jungle
    Netflix: Bordertown (great Nordic film noir series) Jessica Jones

The Marvel series aren't bad, as the heroes aren't that super powered and The Punisher played out more like a crime show than a comic book show. Ripper Street was an excellent period piece set in Victorian London. Peaky Blinders was another solid show from the BBC that is on Netflix and is set just after WWI. Frontier is another show that I enjoyed, still haven't watched Season 2, which just came out. I'm currently watching Criminal Minds and that has been fun. Mindhunter was very good and has it's own shares a thread with the Night Of, on this forum.

So yes, cutting the cord isn't so bad, as the shows have no commercials and you have tons of shows to pick from in order to binge to your heart's delight.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by WV_Iron_Duke View Post
    Agree with everyone else on shows mentioned.
    Off the top of my head would add: Justified, Spartacus (season 1-2,) Ozark, Godless, Sneaky Pete, House of Cards (especially seasons 1-2)
    Oh, man, I can't believe I didn't mention Justified. Good call.

Speaking of Walton Goggins, The Shield is also pretty strong.

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    Oh, man, I can't believe I didn't mention Justified. Good call.

Speaking of Walton Goggins, The Shield is also pretty strong.
    I've heard of one called Game of Thrones. Hidden gem.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Handmaid's Tale on Hulu. Also Mad Men if you've never watched that.

Breaking Bad is IMO the best drama of all time. The Americans is brilliant as well.

And I agree with others than Stranger Things is cool even if you're not into sci-fi.
    He already said he has seen some of those. We have very different taste in shows apparently. I thought Breaking Bad was beyond awful. Nearly every episode almost put me to sleep
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

So many great shows on this list. The only one I can think of that isn't on here already is Longmire on Netflix. Strong cast, well done all around. Books are good too.

Did a little more thinking. Didn't see Narcos or Marco Polo or The Crown on the list. All good. Oh, and the new Poldark on Amazon is decent too.
    Last edited by bjornolf; 12-05-2017 at 06:52 PM.

One more I forgot. Red Rock on Amazon follows a Garda station in a small Irish town. I really enjoyed it too.

If you were a fan of the Twilight Zone from back in the day you should try Black Mirror.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

The Joy of Painting - Bob Ross (Amazon Prime) - My kids love his stuff! We watch him every Sunday night and pop popcorn So awesome.

Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood (Amazon Prime) - great for the five and under crowd. Daniel Tiger is the son of the original Tiger from make believeland and Mr. Roger's Neighborhood.

I think a Justified is the most underrated of all the great shows. Otherwise in no particular order:

Mad Men
    Veep
    Better Call Saul
    Peaky Blinders
    Luther
    Happy Valley
    The Honourable Woman
    Broad church
    Ozark
    Goliath
    Godless
    Bloodline
    Sneaky Pete
    Mind Hunter
    The Night Of
    Deadwood
    Big Little Lies
    West world
    Boardwalk Empire
    Poldark
    Rectify
    The Good Wife
    Turn
    Top of the Lake
    Stranger Things
    Freaks and Geeks
    Orange is the New Black
    House of Cards

I quit watching the last two but I may go back if I hit a lull but I think they went on too long

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Oz on HBO was always one of my favorites, and now and then I'll go back and binge on a season. It is fun to see a show where more than a few of today's stars really broke out. JK Simmons has a great role as a total wanker, as well as Chris Meloni who had a fascinating character. Not always easy to watch, but great writing and great acting.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Did anyone mention Master of None? One of my favorites and Rotten Tomatoes has it at 100% - both seasons.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    So many great shows on this list. The only one I can think of that isn't on here already is Longmire on Netflix. Strong cast, well done all around. Books are good too.

Did a little more thinking. Didn't see Narcos or Marco Polo or The Crown on the list. All good. Oh, and the new Poldark on Amazon is decent too.
    Second Longmire. Final season just released last month.

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    If you were a fan of the Twilight Zone from back in the day you should try Black Mirror.
    The first episode is probably one to skip until you've gotten a better feel for the series. Like the twilight zone, none of the episodes deal with each other so watching them out of order isn't a problem.

Lots of great shows in this thread. It might have been mentioned but there are some really good Scandinavian crime shows, many of which have been remade in US/UK if you're not a fan of subtitles: Wallander, The Killing, The Bridge come to mind. I loved Lilyhammer with Steve Van Zandt from Springsteen's E Street Band. I also liked Rita, Dicte and Borgen. I think all of these are on Netflix.

Some of the shows listed in this thread (particularly in the US market) go on ad nauseam IMO. Something that's initially well received will be extended, season after season, until milked dry. Longmire for instance has gone from brilliant to bumbling. The show was sold off and brought back from the dead at least once so there was likely lots of turnover in the writing team. Paraphrasing Carlos Santana about guitar solos: say what you gotta say and get out.

Nice call on Bosch (Amazon prime)—Harry Bosch is a great character!

Quote Originally Posted by House G View Post
    Nice call on Bosch (Amazon prime)—Harry Bosch is a great character!
    Bosch is AMAZING. SO much different than the books though, which are also good.