Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

cut the cord - need TV show recomendation

Looking for TV show recommendations. We cut the cord and got Netflix and Hulu (And have Amazon). A list of the shows I have already watched (as best I can remember) start to finish are below. Thought I would turn to the entertainment brain trust for some ideas. Not really into fantasy or scifi. Looking for something episodic (that is, not like Big Bang Theory or Modern Family). Thanks!

1. Hell on Wheels
    2. Breaking Bad
    3. Entourage
    4. Sons of Anarchy
    5. Friday Night Lights
    6. OITNB
    7. House of Cards
    8. Stranger Things
    9. Freaks and Geeks
    10. Damages
    11. Man in the High Castle
    12. Homeland
    13. The Americans
    14. The Wire
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

I really loved COSMOS hosted by NDT. Not a show in what you are referring too since its a documentary but still the best thing I've ever watched on tv... ever.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Bloodline on Netflix.

I know you said no sci fi, but stranger things is really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    Looking for TV show recommendations. We cut the cord and got Netflix and Hulu (And have Amazon).
    Never seriously entertained the cord cutting idea because I've always thought I'd lose shows/events I really enjoy. Are you going to be able to get all the Duke games in hi-rez on a large screen?

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Looking for TV show recommendations. We cut the cord and got Netflix and Hulu (And have Amazon). A list of the shows I have already watched (as best I can remember) start to finish are below. Thought I would turn to the entertainment brain trust for some ideas. Not really into fantasy or scifi. Looking for something episodic (that is, not like Big Bang Theory or Modern Family). Thanks!

1. Hell on Wheels
    2. Breaking Bad
    3. Entourage
    4. Sons of Anarchy
    5. Friday Night Lights
    6. OITNB
    7. House of Cards
    8. Stranger Things
    9. Freaks and Geeks
    10. Damages
    11. Man in the High Castle
    12. Homeland
    13. The Americans
    14. The Wire
    Deadwood seems in the vein of a lot of the stuff you've listed.

The Expanse is also similar in theme to some of the stuff you've listed, but it is sci-fi. Worth a look. The Expanse is not sci-fi in the vein of Star Trek or Star Wars.
    Last edited by alteran; 12-05-2017 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Bloodline on Netflix.

I know you said no sci fi, but stranger things is really good.
    Stranger Things is already on the list, despite the "no sci-fi". I've noticed that a lot of people say "no sci-fi," but end up liking a lot of things that are sci-fi.

Looking for something episodic (that is, not like Big Bang Theory or Modern Family). Thanks!
    I think you meant you're looking for something NOT episodic, given your examples. You want a serial show.

This is reaching back, but I noticed you listed The Wire and Breaking Bad but not the Sopranos (available on Amazon). I haven't read TV critics recently but I know 3-4 years ago, there was almost a consensus among them that those were the 3 best shows of all-time (whether that's right or wrong). Check out the Sopranos if you haven't. That show really kicked off the recent so-called Golden Age of Television.

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    Stranger Things is already on the list, despite the "no sci-fi". I've noticed that a lot of people say "no sci-fi," but end up liking a lot of things that are sci-fi.
    Right. If loosely sci-fi / fantasy is allowed, then I would recommend The Leftovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Never seriously entertained the cord cutting idea because I've always thought I'd lose shows/events I really enjoy. Are you going to be able to get all the Duke games in hi-rez on a large screen?
    All? Probably not. "Almost all" is pretty do-able, particularly if you have an antenna.

All? Probably not. "Almost all" is pretty do-able, particularly if you have an antenna.
    Thanks, then, I'll be keeping the cord. This team is very special and K's coaching years are nearing the end.

I have found that with a combination of WatchESPN and basic cable (we have to keep the networks for our internet) its not a problem. CBS may prove to be a bit tricky, as they have their own subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I think you meant you're looking for something NOT episodic, given your examples. You want a serial show.

This is reaching back, but I noticed you listed The Wire and Breaking Bad but not the Sopranos (available on Amazon). I haven't read TV critics recently but I know 3-4 years ago, there was almost a consensus among them that those were the 3 best shows of all-time (whether that's right or wrong). Check out the Sopranos if you haven't. That show really kicked off the recent so-called Golden Age of Television.
    Yes - you are exactly right. Serial, not episodic. Thanks.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Given your list, you would probably like Six Feet Under.

Second vote for Deadwood.

HBO really changed the game!

Handmaid's Tale on Hulu. Also Mad Men if you've never watched that.

Breaking Bad is IMO the best drama of all time. The Americans is brilliant as well.

And I agree with others than Stranger Things is cool even if you're not into sci-fi.

Your mileage may vary, but I get more Duke games with Watch ESPN so far this season than my dad has with whatever his cable package is.

Netflix:

Ozark
    Shameless

I would suggest the following, in rough order of priority:

The Sopranos (Amazon Prime)
    Band of Brothers (Amazon Prime)
    Better Call Saul (Netflix)
    Mad Men (Netflix)
    Luther (Netflix)
    The Pacific (Amazon Prime)
    Making a Murderer (Netflix)
    Boardwalk Empire (Amazon Prime)
    The Newsroom (Amazon Prime)
    Sherlock (Netflix)
    Downton Abbey (Amazon Prime)
    The Killing (Netflix)

I watched The Sopranos during its first run, and am now early into the 4th season of my second viewing, this time with my wife (a first-time viewer). It's my favorite television show of all time, and holds up remarkably well the second time. Highly recommend.

Agree with everyone else on shows mentioned.
    Off the top of my head would add: Justified, Spartacus (season 1-2,) Ozark, Godless, Sneaky Pete, House of Cards (especially seasons 1-2)

Yeah, sorry, was trying to edit and got timed out because I lost signal for a few minutes.

I was in the "no sci-fi" boat for years. And I still am for the most part. I fought my nerdy dungeons and dragons friends for years before they finally talked me into watching Game of Thrones. Boy am I glad they did.

And, if it wasn't for the whole, 80's, Goonies, E.T.type feeling of Stranger Things, I don't know that I would've bought into it either. But I love both.

And to top it all off, I'm am absolutely enthralled with Westworld on HBO. I think it's because I didn't know anything about the original when I started watching it. I can't wait for it to come back on.

While I admit, it's not all for me, I can say, not all sci-fi is dorky or too weird.

Disclosure: I have never seen any of the Lord Of The Rings movies. I've tried watching them 4 or 5 times, but fall asleep every single time.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I have partially cut, opting for Directv NOW over the dish that I've had for years. For over half of what I am currently paying, I get all the same channels that I had, plus HBO. Also, I can watch it anywhere that I have a Roku device or my tablet or laptop. I've been trying it out this week, to see how I like it, and I'm pretty pleased with it. The picture is just as good. I like having access to lots of movies and shows on demand. There are so many, in fact, that I will probably get rid of Netflix since I use it more for movies than their shows, and I think their movie selection sucks.

Besides not having a DVR, the only drawback for me is no local channels. (This may or may not apply to you depending on your market/zip code.) I bought an outdoor antenna, and instantly picked up not only the local networks, but a bunch of other stations that I didn't even know existed.
    Overall, it's a little bit of an adjustment, but I'm happy with the results. And, I get to still watch all of the Duke games.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."