Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by swood1000 View Post
    But once he's been on a professional team he won't be able to play on a college team, so what could they do then?
    He’s already probably disqualified for his role in BBB. Also they’ll be able to make a lot of money from Instagram and YouTube for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    He’s already probably disqualified for his role in BBB. Also they’ll be able to make a lot of money from Instagram and YouTube for a while.
    They've also both already signed with an agent.

He's disqualified as soon as he signs with a professional team, unless his compensation does not exceed his actual and necessary expenses.

12.2.5 Contracts and Compensation. An individual shall be ineligible for participation in an intercollegiate sport if he or she has entered into any kind of agreement to compete in professional athletics, either orally or in writing, regardless of the legal enforceability of that agreement. (Revised: 1/10/92)
    12.2.5.1 Exception—Before Initial Full-Time Collegiate Enrollment—Sports Other Than Men’s Ice Hockey and Skiing. In sports other than men’s ice hockey and skiing, before initial full-time collegiate enrollment, an individual may enter into an agreement to compete on a professional team (per Bylaw 12.02.11), provided the agreement does not guarantee or promise payment (at any time) in excess of actual and necessary expenses to participate on the team.
    But he may already be ineligible if his father is ruled to have acted as his agent.

12.3.1 General Rule. [A] An individual shall be ineligible for participation in an intercollegiate sport if he or she ever has agreed (orally or in writing) to be represented by an agent for the purpose of marketing his or her athletics ability or reputation in that sport. Further, an agency contract not specifically limited in writing to a sport or particular sports shall be deemed applicable to all sports, and the individual shall be ineligible to participate in any sport.

FWIW Jeff Goodman was interviewed shortly after the news of the signing broke. Said he talked to an “insider” familiar with the Lithuanian team and league as well as the Ball family, and that there is a 50% chance the two kids ever make it to Lithuania to begin with. If they do play, he estimates it will last about a month.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    FWIW Jeff Goodman was interviewed shortly after the news of the signing broke. Said he talked to an “insider” familiar with the Lithuanian team and league as well as the Ball family, and that there is a 50% chance the two kids ever make it to Lithuania to begin with. If they do play, he estimates it will last about a month.
    I read that the contract includes a clause that has a termination option after one month, so that fits into that timeline.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Great tweet:

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/s...91740852559874

Apparently the Ball Bros' new Lithuanian coach has been "selling meat to players out of the trunk of his car." 🤔 http://ble.ac/2iXKlkD
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Apparently the Ball Bros' new Lithuanian coach has been "selling meat to players out of the trunk of his car."
    "And if you buy the filet, you get to start next game."
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    "And if you buy the filet, you get to start next game."
    one possession per ounce!!
    April 1

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Is a one month crash course in Lithuanian more educational than a whole semester of Swahili at UNC?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Great article from The Bleacher Report linked in the Tweet:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...mming-national

Yes, I said great.

Primarily an interview of an American, Billy Baron, who played for the team, but adds a great deal of insight; my favorite:

"Signing them is a publicity stunt for sure, and it's working," Baron said. "The Balls are on SportsCenter, but I'm here laughing because I know exactly what's waiting for them on the other side. When LaMelo gets hit with one of those screens, he might not be able to stand up. Those guys are bangers, Lithuanians play like it's a UFC match. ... If Vegas put a line on the Balls' over-under in Lithuania, I think they'd break it off after a month. Maybe it does work, I'm not hating on the kids, but the odds are stacked against them."

Prienai, Lithuania, is a ... rural Lithuanian town ... is like living on a farm. No restaurants, no malls, ... "There is nothing to do in that place. It's the ultimate life of going to practice and back to the hotel."

Well. at least shoplifting shouldn't be an issue ...

Maybe Coach Seskus can start selling Baller brand shoes out his car along with the meat: Buy a side of mutton, get a pair of Ballers for free!

BTW the temperature in Prienai, Lithuania over the next two weeks will range from the mid-20s to the low 30s, Fahrenheit! Snow on and off.

Doubt Daddy Ball is going over to continue LaMelo's "home schooling!" But it sounds like confrontations between LaVar and Seskus would be like shouting into a mirror that shouts back in a different language ,,,

What did LeBron really say to Lonzo?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Primarily an interview of an American, Billy Baron, who played for the team, but adds a great deal of insight; my favorite:
    Is he the guy that played for Rhode Island and went off against us in Cameron, when they nearly beat us a few years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Is he the guy that played for Rhode Island and went off against us in Cameron, when they nearly beat us a few years ago?
    That would be Jimmy Baron.

Quote Originally Posted by jacone21 View Post
    That would be Jimmy Baron.
    According to that wikipedia link, Jimmy has a brother Billy who also played college ball. Maybe that's the guy.

EDIT: further link clickage reveals that Jimmy's brother Billy did in fact play in the Lithuanian league. Boom! Man, we need for some games to start back up

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Great article from The Bleacher Report linked in the Tweet:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...mming-national

Yes, I said great.

"Signing them is a publicity stunt for sure, and it's working," Baron said. "The Balls are on SportsCenter, but I'm here laughing because I know exactly what's waiting for them on the other side. When LaMelo gets hit with one of those screens, he might not be able to stand up. Those guys are bangers, Lithuanians play like it's a UFC match. ... If Vegas put a line on the Balls' over-under in Lithuania, I think they'd break it off after a month. Maybe it does work, I'm not hating on the kids, but the odds are stacked against them."

Prienai, Lithuania, is a ... rural Lithuanian town ... is like living on a farm. No restaurants, no malls, ... "There is nothing to do in that place. It's the ultimate life of going to practice and back to the hotel."

Well. at least shoplifting shouldn't be an issue ...

Maybe Coach Seskus can start selling Baller brand shoes out his car along with the meat: Buy a side of mutton, get a pair of Ballers for free!

BTW the temperature in Prienai, Lithuania over the next two weeks will range from the mid-20s to the low 30s, Fahrenheit! Snow on and off.

Doubt Daddy Ball is going over to continue LaMelo's "home schooling!" But it sounds like confrontations between LaVar and Seskus would be like shouting into a mirror that shouts back in a different language ,,,
    According to that story, "Money issues may not be a concern for the Balls, say sources, who believe the brothers signed for free, without earning players' salaries." If so, LaMelo may still have UCLA in his sights. I wonder what kinds of conditions there were in the offer that UCLA made him. They probably wouldn't be quick to withdraw the offer as that might make other prospects a little jittery about accepting one. That leaves LiAngelo to work himself up in Europe, which was his apparent destination anyway, but with no free college education this way. Oh well. Who am I to question LaVar's grand design?

Edit: or LiAngelo could sit out his year in Lithuania, intending to come back at a different college, maybe one that would give him some playing time (and one not so old-fashioned about trifling peccadillos).
    Last edited by swood1000; 12-15-2017 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by swood1000 View Post
    According to that story, "Money issues may not be a concern for the Balls, say sources, who believe the brothers signed for free, without earning players' salaries." If so, LaMelo may still have UCLA in his sights. I wonder what kinds of conditions there were in the offer that UCLA made him. They probably wouldn't be quick to withdraw the offer as that might make other prospects a little jittery about accepting one. That leaves LiAngelo to work himself up in Europe, which was his apparent destination anyway, but with no free college education this way. Oh well. Who am I to question LaVar's grand design?

Edit: or LiAngelo could sit out his year in Lithuania, intending to come back at a different college, maybe one that would give him some playing time (and one not so old-fashioned about trifling peccadillos).
    Both boys signed with agent Harrison Gaines. That would seem to eliminate the possibility of a return to college.

LiAngelo says that he wouldn't have thanked Trump unless UCLA had insisted on it.

"My school wanted to hear it," he recalled. "Before I went up there, it was like, 'You’ve got to thank him.' I just threw him in there real quick right before I gave my speech. ... If they didn’t tell me to do it, it wouldn’t have been in there, to be honest." http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/12/lian...view-lithuania

Interesting article about the Ball's and the town they will be playing in. I despise the father and hate all of the attention he is getting (which is why I debated even posting this) and feel bad for the kids - I'm sure this was not their idea. The article mentions a "luxury spa" nearby where they will be living. I wonder if their teammates have similar housing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/20/s...e=sectionfront

here comes the Big Baller League?!

Salary $3,000 - $10,000 a month
    10 teams
    80 Players
    Play in NBA Arenas
    wear BBB shoes and jerseys

Logo of Lonzo going for a dunk because --- "We don't need a logo of a guy dribbling," Ball said, an obvious reference to the NBA's famous Jerry West silhouette. "Nobody does that anymore."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...hool-graduates

I don't like following OADs in college, why would I want to follow a whole league of them? I enjoy college games because I love the school that I root for, despite the fact that I am forced to cheer for a bunch of guys I will forget about in a few seasons.
    I sure as hell ain't gonna follow some league full of those dudes. (I love that fact that one of his kids wouldn't even qualify for his own league. "Sorry, lil' guy, no diploma, no play.")