Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 91, Indiana 81 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

This team likes to win!

This season has taught me for this team, it ain’t over til its over.

Heart, grit, toughness.

Impressive hard earned victory.

Our close out game is tight.

Defense isn't good most of the game but they sure make stops when they need to.

Contributions, big and small, from a number of different players. Still able to tighten down when they need to. Good game in a tough environment for our young team.

If we played defense at the beginning of games like we do at the end of games, we'd be undefeated and a unanimous #1 in the AP poll.

Give me Bagley OR Carter over any other big guy in the country.

This team has a lot of heart. The Allen three was a dagger.

Great finish. Hope the chat was civil.

Marvin Bagley is winning the Marvin Bagley / Big 10 series.

As usual, much to work on, and, as usual, much to like

Yes, the M2M defense needs work, but I'm glad that K kept going to it to give them practice in a tense game in a hostile atmosphere. With a team this young, you have to do what you can to speed up development.

I'm surprised our rebounding margin was only +2.

3 pt. shooting abysmal; we all await the blossoming of GT's shot.

But, again, poise. Lots of it. And tighter defense in the second half. And 6 TOs/0 turnovers. Bagley's consistent greatness.

What a game. This team has serious, um, spheroids.
    Thoughts:
    -This was an impressive win in a tough environment, especially for a young team. After the ACC gauntlet, we’ll figure to be as battle-teated as anyone heading into March.
    -I don’t see how there could be a better inside tandem in the country than Marvin Bagley and Wendell Carter. They’re amazingly physical, both very athletic, and versatile enough to cause all kinds of problems at both ends. Defense is a work in progress for both, but has moments. And it’s great to see such a strong rebounding presence (especially by Carter...he is truly gifted on the boards).
    -Shooting remains a slight concern, but we made just enough to seal things. And after all, 91 points in hostile territory is nothing to sneeze at.
    -Indiana is better than their early loss to Indiana State would suggest. That was a big-time atmosphere tonight, and beyond Michigan State, the B1G is no great shakes in my opinion. Indiana could jump up and grab a tourney bid.

Cool

To quote one of my heroes; impressive. Most impressive. That is correct.

The team is young and has things to work on...but they handle adversity unlike any freshmen I've seen. They really know how to keep fighting!!!
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

Even if during the game, it isn’t easy to swallow, seeing Duke’s opponent always raise the level of their play makes for quite an honor. It makes every game feel that much more special.

Carter and Bags showing marked improvement from the free throw line is a great takeaway from the past few games.
    Windy City Devil

Quote Originally Posted by snewman92 View Post
    Yes, the M2M defense needs work, but I'm glad that K kept going to it to give them practice in a tense game in a hostile atmosphere. With a team this young, you have to do what you can to speed up development.
    Exactly, he was using it as a coaching clinic, willing to take a loss if that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by snewman92 View Post

I'm surprised our rebounding margin was only +2.

3pt. shooting abysmal; we all await the blossoming of GT's shot.

But, again, poise. Lots of it. And tighter defense in the second half. And 6 TOs/0 turnovers. Bagley's consistent greatness.
    I believe it will come around... he is 25 of 26 from the foul line on the year, if I'm not mistaken... good for a tad over 96%.

Defense is still a work in progress, but it seems to get stops when it needs stops.

Bolden gave some great minutes tonight. Solid defense on hedges, diving on the floor for loose balls, and giving Deron Davis some weight to try to push around.

Carter and Bagley were monsters on offense and on the glass. Both had double-doubles. If Carter can figure out how to avoid soft fouls, he'll be even better.

Allen regained his shooting touch, but would disappear in stretches. That's likely going to happen this season with so many offensive options.

Duval had a solid game; 15 points, 6 assists and no turnovers (though he came close a couple times to coughing it up, and you could make an argument that his fast break awkward shot was a turnover).

If Gary Trent can find his shooting stroke, Duke will be even tougher to beat. He's shooting an insane 97% from the FT line, but only 29% from 3 this season. But goodness, does he find points and big plays at the end of games.

Offense was great. Defense... still a work in progress. IU is not a very good team and put up 81 points - and that's with a bad night at the FT line. IU shot 51% from the field, which was a bit over their heads. Hopefully the man defense gets better or K commits to playing more zone.

While I'd like to see Duke blow away teams like this year's IU team, a win is a win! Now, on to the easy stretch of the schedule...

I'm happy when I see the 2-3 zone.

Let's keep me happy.