Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Is Tubby the next to go? Think Memphis might be looking for a quick recruiting advantage?
    Memphis is considering firing head coach Tubby Smith and replacing him with Penny Hardaway, according to a report Tuesday by CBSSports.com.
    Hardaway, who played for the Tigers from 1991 to '93 before becoming a four-time NBA All-Star, currently coaches East High School (Memphis, Tenn.) and runs the Team Penny AAU program on the Nike EYBL circuit. He coaches ESPN 60 No. 1 junior James Wiseman at East, as well as five-star junior Chandler Lawson (No. 26). Five-star junior D.J. Jeffries (No. 17) also plays for Team Penny.
    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...penny-hardaway
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Is Tubby the next to go? Think Memphis might be looking for a quick recruiting advantage?

Will Lil' Penny be an assistant coach?

That would be great, because Kentucky thinks they have Wiseman locked up! Also, there has been a lot of speculation that he might reclassify to the 2018 class.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Will Lil' Penny be an assistant coach?
    Big man coach.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Buzz Peterson? Must be inside William’s sweaty shirt.
    I heard he was Alex McConnell's uncle!
    This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
    No trees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Colorado State will fire men’s basketball Larry Eustachy for violating a zero-tolerance policy implemented after previous abusive behavior toward players and staff, the Denver Post reported Thursday, citing an unidentified source with direct knowledge of the situation.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...cid=spartandhp
    This would be very cool to see.
    Becky Hammon has spent the last four seasons as an assistant coach for the San Antonio Spurs, and Colorado State has the former WNBA star on its radar.
    According to Pete Thamel of Yahoo Sports, a source at the university said Hammon is considered one of the top candidates by the administration.
    Hammon is a legend at the school, having secured three All-American honors during a prolific career. She shattered program records, and her No. 25 jersey is retired.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...cid=spartandhp
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Stallings Fired at Pitt

Just saw an ESPN notification on my phone, and now see this link that Kevin Stallings it out at Pitt.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Just saw an ESPN notification on my phone, and now see this link that Kevin Stallings it out at Pitt.
    Wow, that's pretty surprising. He only got 2 years there, and he had a decent history at Vandy. Not sure why they wouldn't give him at least 2 more years. Feel like 4 years is a standard "cycle" for a new coach.

Obviously, I wasn't particularly impressed with his coaching this year to get Pitt any semblance of competitiveness in the conference. Losing Cam Johnson was certainly a net negative for this season.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Wow, that's pretty surprising. He only got 2 years there, and he had a decent history at Vandy. Not sure why they wouldn't give him at least 2 more years. Feel like 4 years is a standard "cycle" for a new coach.

Obviously, I wasn't particularly impressed with his coaching this year to get Pitt any semblance of competitiveness in the conference. Losing Cam Johnson was certainly a net negative for this season.

- Chillin
    Weird that they'd rather pay 10 million to fire him than to give him another season to right the ship.

- Chillin
    I just finished reading an article that was linked from the DBR home page about the sad state of the Pitt program. I believe it said he has a buyout of close to $10 million. They had asked him to reduce it but he had declined. I think his lack of success is compounded by a somewhat toxic personality, which might have expedited his departure. And the AD who hired him (under unique circumstances) is no longer there to support him.

I know that when Stallings was hired there was a big push by many for them to hire former player/assistant coach Brandin Knight, who ended up as an assistant at Rutgers. I would think that might be a smart move as they could probably get him at a reasonable price and he has strong ties to the NY/NJ area that Pitt has historically harvested for players as he grew up there and now is working there, and he obviously has great ties to the school.

- Chillin
    Really not surprised at this. Not only is their record terrible, their recruiting might be worse. I don't think he has ever gotten a top-100 player, and recruiting is the life's blood of any program. Being a great Xs and Os coach might get you some success, but it will also get you some recognition for that and therefore players. Things were not going to get better.

I was never impressed with the hire. Pitt is smart to move on. Should've been smart 2 years ago.

Stallings was a disaster from the get-go, Pitt is smart to just cut and run.

Thad Motta is interviewing at Ole Miss today and UGA fans are mentioning him if/when Mark Fox gets fired. Pitt would be smart to talk to him.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Stallings was a disaster from the get-go, Pitt is smart to just cut and run.

Thad Motta is interviewing at Ole Miss today and UGA fans are mentioning him if/when Mark Fox gets fired. Pitt would be smart to talk to him.
    Ugh. I don't want that smarmy dude anywhere near the ACC.

Kevin Stallings Fired

Not a big shock after a winless season in the ACC. Maybe beating ND could have saved his job. It’s too bad they didn’t give him more time, he was starting five freshmen, his best player from last season transferred away and his most experienced player this season got injured. I feel like he deserved more time to see what he could do.

Who is Pitt going to be able to hire now? They ran off Jamie Dixon who was consistently making the tournament, then gave Stallings the ax after two seasons. What Coach in their right mind would want to go there?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Not a big shock after a winless season in the ACC. Maybe beating ND could have saved his job. It’s too bad they didn’t give him more time, he was starting five freshmen, his best player from last season transferred away and his most experienced player this season got injured. I feel like he deserved more time to see what he could do.

Who is Pitt going to be able to hire now? They ran off Jamie Dixon who was consistently making the tournament, then gave Stallings the ax after two seasons. What Coach in their right mind would want to go there?
    i'm guessing kevin ollie will be looking for a job in the near future...
    April 1

- Chillin
    Always a good plan to blame the h**ls.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Deadspin did a really good piece on Pitt's decline earlier this week. Among other things, they pointed out that Stallings was an unpopular hire in the first place, and that AD Scott Barnes, who hired him, left Pitt 9 months later (after a total tenure of only 18 months at Pitt), leaving Stallings with little administrative support.
    I'm not sure I agree with the notion that Pitt "ran off Jamie Dixon"; it looked more to me like Dixon really wanted to go to TCU (his alma mater), and Pitt made it easier for him to leave by decreasing his contractually mandated buyout, partly because Pitt basketball was in at least a soft decline already following the move from the Big East to the ACC.
    At any rate, the program is an undeniable train wreck right now. It will be interesting to see what kind of nibbles they can get from potential hire, and for anyone, that looks to be a long road back to where the program was 8-10 years ago.

Kevin Stallings is a good coach, but perhaps this just wasn't a good fit. 0-19 in the league is hard to defend.

Stallings will land somewhere. His career record still looks pretty good overall. The ACC just might not the best place for him, and this move might actually be better for Stallings than Pitt. Pittsburgh basketball doesn't sound like a great organization to work for at the moment.

Look to some mid-major than gets to th sweet 16. The hire will need to be young as Pitt needs to pay 10M to buyout.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Always a good plan to blame the h**ls.
    Yes, his ole buddy Roy, recruited and stole his best player, Cam Johnson. Maybe Roy will help him get another job.