Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Even without the two national titles, Wright would be much more accomplished than Ollie or Pastner, imo.

The comparison I'd draw is with Billy Donovan. Donovan won the back-to-back titles and then proceeded to only go to one more Final Four in the final 8 seasons of his college coaching career, which ended with a sub-.500 non-tourney team.

We'll see if Wright can avoid that fate if he continues to reject the NBA.
    I think there is a big difference between Donovan and Wright, Donovan essentially won back to back with the same core group of players. He built one championship roster, and was fortunate that they were together for 2 seasons.
    Nova's 15 and 17 team are very different. None of the top 4 leading scorers on the 2015 team were on the 2017 team, they are two very different teams. Lots of coaches have won one title with a special team. Izzo for example. Putting together 2 championship 2 teams puts Wright in a very select group.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I think there is a big difference between Donovan and Wright, Donovan essentially won back to back with the same core group of players. He built one championship roster, and was fortunate that they were together for 2 seasons.
    Nova's 15 and 17 team are very different. None of the top 4 leading scorers on the 2015 team were on the 2017 team, they are two very different teams. Lots of coaches have won one title with a special team. Izzo for example. Putting together 2 championship 2 teams puts Wright in a very select group.
    I agree with this- Wright has shown an ability to adjust his recruiting to meet his team building objectives. I’m impressed with his methods.

Slightly off-topic since this is the "MBB" coaching carousel, but Minnesota has hired Lindsay Whalen to coach the women's team. She has won four championships with the Minnesota Lynx and plans to continue playing in the WNBA while coaching Minnesota.

I can't remember this every happening before. I know player-coaches used to be more common, but has there ever been a professional player who simultaneously coached a college team??

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Slightly off-topic since this is the "MBB" coaching carousel, but Minnesota has hired Lindsay Whalen to coach the women's team. She has won four championships with the Minnesota Lynx and plans to continue playing in the WNBA while coaching Minnesota.

I can't remember this every happening before. I know player-coaches used to be more common, but has there ever been a professional player who simultaneously coached a college team??
    Not a HC, but Ivory Latta (ugh, for a few reasons) played in the WNBA while also serving as an assistant to Sylvia's jacket.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post

Don't the seasons overlap?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Don't the seasons overlap?
    No, which is why she can do it. The WNBA season is played in the Spring/Summer, after college is over, and before it begins.
    The reason she can coach is that she ended her international career. Most WNBA players play overseas in the other months.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    No, which is why she can do it. The WNBA season is played in the Spring/Summer, after college is over, and before it begins.
    The reason she can coach is that she ended her international career. Most WNBA players play overseas in the other months.
    Agreed, but aren't there recruiting obligations during the summer? The camp scene for women's isn't as extensive as for men but I assume there is still plenty to do - being the head coach of a D1 program in any sport is very time consuming, as is playing professional basketball.

It looks like she is about to turn 36 so I assume this is not a long term plan.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Agreed, but aren't there recruiting obligations during the summer? The camp scene for women's isn't as extensive as for men but I assume there is still plenty to do - being the head coach of a D1 program in any sport is very time consuming, as is playing professional basketball.

It looks like she is about to turn 36 so I assume this is not a long term plan.
    Whalen is a bit of a legend in Minnesota, she grew up there, is probably the biggest star the University of Minnesota ever had, has Olympic gold, and has 4 WNBA titles with the Minnesota Lynx (don't you love wikipedia?). I'm sure they figure her name is worth any missed time in the summer.

And it's not like there are a bunch of sure-fire head-coaches-in-waiting in the women's game. Or the men's game for that matter, it's very often a crap shoot. That's my main problem with the people who want Coach P's head. There's no telling what you'll get.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Whalen is a bit of a legend in Minnesota, she grew up there, is probably the biggest star the University of Minnesota ever had, has Olympic gold, and has 4 WNBA titles with the Minnesota Lynx (don't you love wikipedia?). I'm sure they figure her name is worth any missed time in the summer.

And it's not like there are a bunch of sure-fire head-coaches-in-waiting in the women's game. Or the men's game for that matter, it's very often a crap shoot. That's my main problem with the people who want Coach P's head. There's no telling what you'll get.
    Dawn Staley was Temple coach while still playing.

As you said, it's kind of a big deal for Minnesota to get Whalen. Given that multiple coaches have now left for other programs, the ability to lock her up now seems pretty appealing.

According to Twitter, the Orlando Magic has shown interest in Tom Izzo. I know he spurned the NBA a few years ago, but if there was ever a time for him to leave this would be it, given all the turmoil around MSU.

Major Woj bomb dropped.

Adrian Wojnarowski
    @wojespn
    The University of Michigan's John Beilein interviewed for the Detroit Pistons coaching job on Thursday, league sources tell ESPN.

Nice retirement plan, I guess. Travel the country and work with a bunch of disjointed, lackluster, almost guys.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Major Woj bomb dropped.

Adrian Wojnarowski
    @wojespn
    The University of Michigan's John Beilein interviewed for the Detroit Pistons coaching job on Thursday, league sources tell ESPN.
    given the style of play he seems to like, I find that rather stunning. Maybe he covets travel.

Padding the bank account before retirement!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    given the style of play he seems to like, I find that rather stunning. Maybe he covets travel.
    Spread basketball? With big men that shoot? That's all the rage in the NBA these days and why I think he landed an interview.

It's just annoying that OF COURSE it's UNC that's slated to play Michigan in the ACC/B10 Challenge. Luckiest program in history.

Spread basketball? With big men that shoot? That's all the rage in the NBA these days and why I think he landed an interview.
    Might have been referring more to his defensive scheme.

Well, the Pistons have no 1st round pick, no roster space, no room under the cap to sign free agents and FOUR stretch-4 forwards on the roster.

Might as well hire someone who can figure out how to play them in bunches.

Major Woj bomb dropped.

Adrian Wojnarowski
    @wojespn
    If that happens, it will be fun to watch the dominoes. It's not often that we get to watch the cascade from a big program coaching change.

According to Twitter, the Orlando Magic has shown interest in Tom Izzo. I know he spurned the NBA a few years ago, but if there was ever a time for him to leave this would be it, given all the turmoil around MSU.
    THIS ^^^

And funny, I don't see Beilein as a pro coach. Then again, I didn't see Brad Stevens as a pro coach....shows what I know.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    If that happens, it will be fun to watch the dominoes. It's not often that we get to watch the cascade from a big program coaching change.
    Beilein is just using the interview with Detroit as leverage to increase his salary with U of M. Standard stuff.