Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Uh, I know you're a Wuffie (I hope that's not a bad term, I don't mean it that way), but our FB coach is Cutcliffe, Coach Cut to some.

I think you've got him confused with a certain BB coach from 20 years ago with a different shade of blue...which is a hangable offense around here!
    Can I have a mulligan on this one. I'm so embarrassed, I just might ban myself.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It is also worth noting that though a bunch of kids have asked for their release from Pitt, I am betting that the new coach will be able to convince several of them to come back. They reacted quickly to Stallings being let go, but once a new coach is there to sweet talk them and tell them about the big playing time they will get going forward, I bet at least some of them come back.

What's more, the team's leading scorer, Jared Wilson-Frame has not asked for a transfer (though I think he is not all that good of a player- he scored because he shot... and missed... a lot). The guy who really appears to have value is freshman Parker Stewart. He's an ACC talent, for sure. Hurley, or whoever, will really work hard to get him back, I suspect.

-Jason "Hurley will supposedly make his decision between Pitt, UConn, and RI today" Evans

P.S. - There is a strange scenario where Hurley turns down Pitt so Pitt turns to Seton Hall's Kevin Willard which opens up the Seton Hall job... and Hurley played at Seton Hall so he might take that gig. He could also choose to wait and see if Xavier opens up as Chris Mack is expected to be a major contender for Louisville.
    Smart move by the Pitt players to hedge their bets. Not knowing where things are headed, giving yourself an out makes a lot of sense.

I agree that the correct hire could potentially save next season.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I don't know about that. Not since Coach Gutheridge took the FB job at Duke have a seen an opening as bleak and depressing as Pitt. That said, at least Duke FB didn't have 75% of the team transferring out before Gut was hired. So, it's even worse than that at Pitt...and even then Duke had no recent history of FB success.

I really don't know what Pitt did to upset Dixon, but wow...what a mistake. Just about as bad as Wake hiring Bzdelik.
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Uh, I know you're a Wuffie (I hope that's not a bad term, I don't mean it that way), but our FB coach is Cutcliffe, Coach Cut to some.

I think you've got him confused with a certain BB coach from 20 years ago with a different shade of blue...which is a hangable offense around here!
    Coach Gutheridge only lasted a few hours, so we tend to forget about him. His wife threatened divorce if he "did anything as stupid as coach the worst team in the country", so he caved and left before signing a contract. Thankfully, Coach Cutcliffe's family was far more supportive.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

That was a great laugh early this morning - but Roseanne Roseannadanna said it best: "Never mind."

RIP Gilda Radnor, always.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Can I have a mulligan on this one. I'm so embarrassed,
    No worries, it was pretty funny.

Anyone that hates the cheats as much as I do, can have two mulligans. For free!!!!!!!! GoDuke!

Penny's Shocker Plunder

Penny reels in his first recruit: Wichita State signed commit 4* Alex Lomax.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/wichita...phis-032324084.

Gregg Marshall released the kid from his LOI - incredibly classy move. I do mean incredible - I don't believe it. Releasing a kid to a conference rival?

Will Memphis suck that badly next year? Is Marshall planning on leaving Wichita?

Or is there really an honest and decent D-1 basketball head coach?

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Penny reels in his first recruit: Wichita State signed commit 4* Alex Lomax.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/wichita...phis-032324084.

Gregg Marshall released the kid from his LOI - incredibly classy move. I do mean incredible - I don't believe it. Releasing a kid to a conference rival?

Will Memphis suck that badly next year? Is Marshall planning on leaving Wichita?

Or is there really an honest and decent D-1 basketball head coach?
    Once upon a time, coaches and universities could control the narratives around their programs more, because they had all the media access and students weren't on social media. Without that control, they lose a lot of leverage in the PR battle on these transfers. It's admirable that Marshall let the kid go, but if he didn't, he'd be thoroughly shamed on social media and every coach would use it to recruit against him. Also, not that Wichita scores top recruits every year, but Marshall has sustained the program at a high level for a while now, so he probably has some margin for error. If this was, say, LSU allowing then top prospect Ben Simmons to leave before arriving, I'd be more surprised.

Still, credit to Marshall for reading the obvious tea leaves in this situation. Given his experience with youth basketball, I think Penny is going to be more successful than your average brand new head coach, and Memphis can support a top team when they're good.

Just received a telephone push-alert from ESPN that David Padgett will not be back as Louisville's head coach.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

A couple major updates

Louisville has told David Padgett he will not be retained as head coach at Louisville. For the moment, this makes Lou the biggest job opening in the sport.

Also, there is talk that Sean Miller has reached out to Pitt about perhaps taking over there. I would think he would be persona non-grata for any program until we know what the FBI investigation is going to find, but the fact that he is talking to Pitt tells me he thinks he has worn out his welcome in Arizona.

-Jason "the dominoes that Miller could create would be really interesting to watch... though Arizona is a major major rebuild at this point with everyone jumping ship and no meaningful recruits signed up" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Louisville has told David Padgett he will not be retained as head coach at Louisville. For the moment, this makes Lou the biggest job opening in the sport.

Also, there is talk that Sean Miller has reached out to Pitt about perhaps taking over there. I would think he would be persona non-grata for any program until we know what the FBI investigation is going to find, but the fact that he is talking to Pitt tells me he thinks he has worn out his welcome in Arizona.

-Jason "the dominoes that Miller could create would be really interesting to watch... though Arizona is a major major rebuild at this point with everyone jumping ship and no meaningful recruits signed up" Evans
    It would never happen, because blood is thicker than money, but Danny Hurley to Arizona would be hilarious.

So what was the final straw for Zona?

FBI investigation or losing to Buffalo in the first round?

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post

Must it be binary?

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Just received a telephone push-alert from ESPN that David Padgett will not be back as Louisville's head coach.
    I hope Paulus finds a landing spot on someone’s staff quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    It would never happen, because blood is thicker than money, but Danny Hurley to Arizona would be hilarious.
    The Hurley Home and Home would be must watch TV

Pitino wants back in

Long Washington Post article on Pitino and his claim of innocence:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.4e804d0be7cd

Miller shot this down about an hour ago via a released statement. He also said that the chance to coach Chase Jeter was, essentially, what gets him out of bed each morning. Only part of what I typed may be true.

Dan Hurley to UCONN?

UCONN hires Dan Hurley