Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Strongly agree! I'm surprised more serious fans do not have higher regard for Walton's commentary.

IMO, Bill Walton was the most fundamentally sound college basketball player. Wooden was one of the two greatest college basketball coaches. Bill Walton is extremely knowledgeable about college basketball.

IMO, Bill Walton is a great teacher of the game. It's not coincidence Luke Walton is an NBA head coach and did an excellent job coaching Golden State during Steve Kerr's absence.

If I want to learn about finance, I listen to Warren Buffett. Technology, Bill Gates. IMO, if you want to learn, listen to the game's best. Life is too short to listen to the rest.
    You must have a smart television that translates and captions his commentary into intelligible English.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    You must have a smart television that translates and captions his commentary into intelligible English.
    My wife says everything I have is smart, especially my backside.

God invented the remote control so I could hit the mute button every time Dick Vitale or Bill Walton is working a game.

Walton is not terribly entertaining, he’s just terrible.

I had to turn the channel after he repeatedly berated his co-commentator on not being well read or well traveled.

I understand it was intended in good fun. It came off as way tone deaf to me, along with his comment about not caring about the largest NBA contract in history as much as not having to shave or cut his hair for Wooden.

we missed it!

on the 7th, OSU beat MSU to claim the walton belt

In my sad little world where i pretend that UNC didn't win last year, and duke took the interim title as preseason #1, BC took it from us in december, and UVA took it from them.
    1200. DDMF.

I heard Walton the other night, trying to compare a player to former LSU star John Williams. His play-by-play man was giving him a hard time for pulling up the name of an older player than not many listeners would recognize.

Walton's response: "History did not start Saturday morning. Don't use your own ignorance to diminish the past."

What a great sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I heard Walton the other night, trying to compare a player to former LSU star John Williams. His play-by-play man was giving him a hard time for pulling up the name of an older player than not many listeners would recognize.

Walton's response: "History did not start Saturday morning. Don't use your own ignorance to diminish the past."

What a great sentiment.
    Just outstanding television.

Russell Westbrook, Alexander Hamilton, Edward Snowden, and the Bruins mascot - all in one broadcast. Who could pull that off?

- Chillin

I didn't watch much of that 1st half last night (joining soon after he predicted UCLA will be National Champion this year), but, yeah, I did love the way he seamlessly brought Alexander Hamilton's birthday into the game broadcast. Pure gold, if batty... Evidently he hasn't been to Hungary yet; I'm very glad to have learned that too. (Sorry his Conference of Champions didn't make it into the national football play-offs this year either.)

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

What a great sentiment.
    Indeed.

John Williams was the star of an LSU team that went to the 1986 Final 4. He wasn't a bad NBA player, either. His career overlapped partially with another college player in Louisiana, John "Hot Rod" Williams, who went to Tulane, and also became a pretty good NBA player. The LSU John Williams had a tendency to put on weight and became known as "Hot Plate".

My favorite Walton line heard during the PK80 was when someone took a charge. He said "I hate charges." The play by play guy says "Really? Most people consider that good defense." Walton says "You should just block the shot."

Easy for him to say. A phenomenal college player, and a great NBA player until injuries ruined his career. He led the NBA in rebounds and blocked shots in 1977 season and was Finals MVP, then was MVP the next year as Portland started 50-10 until he went down with an injury and missed all the rest of that year and the next. He was never the same.

21-22 in the 1973 NCAA Finals with 13 rebounds. Not against a stiff, but up against Larry Kenon, future ABA and NBA all-star. Which lads me to another tangent: the 1974-'76 Nets won 2 ABA titles and were the best professional basketball team in the world in that era. Julius Erving, Larry Kenon, Billy Paultz (the latter 2 traded to San Antonio for the 1976 season), Brien Taylor and John Williamson. All of whom had successful NBA carers as well. Walton is right. Know your history.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    on the 7th, OSU beat MSU to claim the walton belt
    Pretty decent chance Collins' Nwestern can claim the belt as they host OSU on 1/17.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

The "Conference of Champions" is knocked out of the NCAAT, but Bill Walton still has some championship considerations in play:

The Bill Walton Championship Belt was worn into the NCAAT by Michigan. Michigan took out contender Montana but faces Houston on Saturday.

The Corollary Title (starts with the AP preseason #1) will be on the line Friday when UVA takes on UMBC.
    Note: Duke held this title at the beginning of the year (until losing to BC) and again from Feb 14 (beating VaTech) to Feb 26 (losing to VaTech)

Once again, we are guaranteed to have a unified, undisputed champion in the end!

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    God invented the remote control so I could hit the mute button every time Dick Vitale or Bill Walton is working a game.
    ESPN had Walton on their Bracket Buster 24 hour marathon and he was on Mars. On every question he was asked his answer had nothing to do with the subject matter. After about 3 or so minutes, a guy comes up and stands close to Walton. Walton sees him out of the corner of his eye and asks him, "who are you". The dude tries to get him back on track and Walton continues his rambling. It would have been funny but it looked like the guy was trying his best to get Walton off the set. I really believe Bill needs professional help and that's sad. He was one of the best players ever. I guess his life style has caught up with him. GoDuke!