Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Bill Walton Belt, 2017-2018

It's time for that thread again...

Michigan State earned the Bill Walton Championship Belt this evening by beating their opponent, who had retained the belt from last season's NCAA Tournament (Backstory: here).

The ACC can win the belt back on Nov 30, Notre Dame @ MSU. Otherwise, MSU's next likely threats are within the B1G conference.

(Although we played MSU prior to their gaining the belt, Duke does currently hold the less-heralded Corollary Title as the undefeated preseason #1)

I'm already feeling a little dizzy.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

I updated last years threads. While I refuse to accept the legitimacy of a certain team holding it, at least according to bill walton, they would have held it until tonight, when they lost to MSU.

I think in my noble and just world, the owner of the belt came into dispute, and thus naturally the new preseason #1 would be the interim holders, which would of course be duke. I'll cling to that in the face of reality.

Anyway, MSU has the belt. Hopefully at some point my substitute reality is re-unified with actuality in a glorious unification bout.
    1200. DDMF.

Does the Bill Walton belt have a secret compartment full of maps of Oregon and tabs of acid?

Quote Originally Posted by 84Duke View Post
    Does the Bill Walton belt have a secret compartment full of maps of Oregon and tabs of acid?
    Well, it used to, but Walton dropped the acid.
    So, who spends a greater percentage of the game talking about irrelevant matters -- Bill Walton or Dickie V? Be a close thing.
    This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
    No trees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Well, it used to, but Walton dropped the acid.
    So, who spends a greater percentage of the game talking about irrelevant matters -- Bill Walton or Dickie V? Be a close thing.
    Extremely close. The nuanced difference IMO is this:

Dickie V spends time talking about inane anecdotes such as Joey Pitstains who owns a diner down in Tallahassee and makes the best chopped steak of your life. I don't care, and I'm not entertained.

Bill Walton talks about how Miles Bridges is not related to Lloyd Bridges, the Tilikum Bridge, the St. John's Bridge, or the Golden Gate Bridge. I don't care, but I'm entertained.

In this day and age where I basically find color commentators to be watered down party-liners with a total lack of insight and canned storylines, I'll take Walton's entertainment value. It's idiotic, but it gets me to laugh - whereas the alternatives mostly make me irritated.

Plus, I'll admit, I googled the St. John's Bridge afterwards.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Extremely close. The nuanced difference IMO is this:

Dickie V spends time talking about inane anecdotes such as Joey Pitstains who owns a diner down in Tallahassee and makes the best chopped steak of your life. I don't care, and I'm not entertained.

Bill Walton talks about how Miles Bridges is not related to Lloyd Bridges, the Tilikum Bridge, the St. John's Bridge, or the Golden Gate Bridge. I don't care, but I'm entertained.

In this day and age where I basically find color commentators to be watered down party-liners with a total lack of insight and canned storylines, I'll take Walton's entertainment value. It's idiotic, but it gets me to laugh - whereas the alternatives mostly make me irritated.

Plus, I'll admit, I googled the St. John's Bridge afterwards.

- Chillin
    I agree with this take. I have also heard every story Vitale has five times. Walton would annoy me if he was calling a Duke game. For any other game I am generally entertained by his stream of consciousness.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

All I can say is that when I turned the game on and saw the tail end of the cheats game playing, I was happy to see they were getting shellacked but sad to hear Bill Walton on the soundtrack. Fortunately, he disappeared between games and was replaced by Jay Bilas. Say what you will about Bilas, but he's infinitely better than Walton.

Did anyone else hear Bill Walton say, "Thank you Phil [Knight]. Thank you for our liiiiiivessssss." ?

It was right as they were sending the telecast over to Seth Greenberg in the studio and Greenberg was like "What? Thank you for our lives??"

Quote Originally Posted by duke4ever19 View Post
    Did anyone else hear Bill Walton say, "Thank you Phil [Knight]. Thank you for our liiiiiivessssss." ?

It was right as they were sending the telecast over to Seth Greenberg in the studio and Greenberg was like "What? Thank you for our lives??"
    Yes, it was amazing. It was a last-minute, send-off thank you to Phil Knight that was over-the-top graciousness for helping create such a huge business enterprise in basketball and American sport, generally - an enterprise that employs both the announcers that were signing off. At least that's how I took it.

Or maybe he was on peyote. Who the heck knows.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    All I can say is that when I turned the game on and saw the tail end of the cheats game playing, I was happy to see they were getting shellacked but sad to hear Bill Walton on the soundtrack. Fortunately, he disappeared between games and was replaced by Jay Bilas. Say what you will about Bilas, but he's infinitely better than Walton.
    Wow! Could not disagree more.

I'll talk Bill Walton any day of the week over Mr. Pomposity.

As I posted in another thread, Walton is my favorite color man. Bilas is my least favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

As I posted in another thread, Walton is my favorite color man. Bilas is my least favorite.
    bilas has gone so far downhill. at least he used to provide SOME insight among his pontificating...now his insights seem limited to

"this is a really important possession....Duke could either close the gap, or Florida could maintain or extend the lead"

No $%*&# sherlock. That's clark kellogg levels of idiocy.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Yes, it was amazing. It was a last-minute, send-off thank you to Phil Knight that was over-the-top graciousness for helping create such a huge business enterprise in basketball and American sport, generally - an enterprise that employs both the announcers that were signing off. At least that's how I took it.

Or maybe he was on peyote. Who the heck knows.

- Chillin

I know the intention, I know what Nike means to sports (especially basketball). I know what Walton was trying to say by his thank you.

I'm not undermining/disagreeing with the sentiment.

I'm saying that it was a typically 'Walton-esque' way of saying something. So 'Walton-esque' that even someone who expects the bizarre from Walton was like, "That's a weird way of putting that." and Greenberg's immediate reaction just affirms it's the wording that's odd, not the sentiment behind it.

I try not to spend too much time listening to the announcers. Bilas is easier to tune out, for me anyway.

For us Woodstock alumni - I hear Walton loud and clear. Do we agree with his verberage - nope.

Quote Originally Posted by duke4ever19 View Post

Walton was one of the best basketball players that I was blessed to see play. However it's apparent that his drug use has affected his brain. And that's a pity, because he was not only a gifted athlete, but he had a brilliant mind for basketball as well. I put Bill up there with Elmore and Dickie V as announcers that I mute if they are doing a Duke game. GoDuke!

Strongly agree! I'm surprised more serious fans do not have higher regard for Walton's commentary.

IMO, Bill Walton was the most fundamentally sound college basketball player. Wooden was one of the two greatest college basketball coaches. Bill Walton is extremely knowledgeable about college basketball.

IMO, Bill Walton is a great teacher of the game. It's not coincidence Luke Walton is an NBA head coach and did an excellent job coaching Golden State during Steve Kerr's absence.

If I want to learn about finance, I listen to Warren Buffett. Technology, Bill Gates. IMO, if you want to learn, listen to the game's best. Life is too short to listen to the rest.

I love Bill Walton

Gotta watch this: http://thebiglead.com/2017/11/27/vid...ts-on-bridges/

Does ESPN pay Walton in cheap weed? 'Cus there is no way Walton is a real announcer with a real salary.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Gotta watch this: http://thebiglead.com/2017/11/27/vid...ts-on-bridges/

Does ESPN pay Walton in cheap weed? 'Cus there is no way Walton is a real announcer with a real salary.
    Or, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUrlzeab6sQ

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    bilas has gone so far downhill. at least he used to provide SOME insight among his pontificating...now his insights seem limited to

"this is a really important possession...Duke could either close the gap, or Florida could maintain or extend the lead"

No $%*&# sherlock. That's clark kellogg levels of idiocy.
    I've also noticed that Bilas, over the years, is more and more moving into Billy Packer territory. In Packer's world, nothing is ever done well; nobody ever does anything well. Anything good that happens is the direct result of somebody doing something poorly; of somebody screwing up.

So, if a player makes a great steal, in Packer's world somebody made a terrible pass. If somebody makes a great move that leads to a slam dunk, in Packer's world the defender messed up. Bilas is not quite all the way Packerified, because he sometimes compliments a player on a good play, but season by season he seems to slip further into Packer territory.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust