Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 85, Texas 78 (OT) Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

There's plenty to say good and bad about this game. But as silly as it sounds, the play that is sticking with me the most is on the final defensive rebound up 4, Bagley had a chance to pass the ball away, but wanted the free throws. He only made one of two, but he wanted them. That tells me a ton.

Like I said, this was going to be an easy Duke -5.5 cover in our ACC Betting Contest. Never a doubt. (Thanks Javin!).

No but seriously, what a great comeback by our boys. So proud of them.

I'll be watching this one again for sure.

Whew!

Way to recover from that fright-night of a first half!

Quick thoughts:

1) Really thought the game turned when we – gasp – went to man instead of zone. Real sink-or-swim moment for the guys and they pulled through.
    2) What a learning experience for our freshmen. 70-70 with 2:00 even in a big neutral atmosphere without Grayson. Hard to replicate NCAAT conditions more than that.
    3) Carter was a bit exposed defensively this game. Javin was being subbed in constantly on defensive possessions down the stretch. Needs to work on his positioning off-ball.
    4) Bagley is a baaaaaaaaaad man.
    5) Was good to see Trent get that clutch and-1 to knot it up.

Well that game was... interesting.

Duke went from lost and sloppy to gritty and determined. Lots of things to improve from this game, including transition defense, free throw shooting, decision making on offense and ball movement.

The Bagley three at the end of the game was not a great decision, but I'm glad it didn't hurt Duke in the end.

Bagley is as good as advertised, and Carter seems to close games way better than he starts them.

Was interesting to see O'Connell play more than Delaurier, but he did a great job on the glass. Duval has regressed a bit since the MSU game, which is why he was glued to the bench until Allen fouled out.

Just happy they won the game, but it was terrible for my blood pressure!

Good experience for the team. I’m sure Coach K got a lot of material tonight to work on with the team. Really glad we won!

Pure, unadulerated thievery.
    These games are why everyone hates Duke.

The most encouraging thing to me was the team never gave up.

Really hoping for the MSU Grayson to re-emerge.

I’d say O’Connell must be impressing the coaching staff, and it is easy to see why.
    He makes us better when he is on the court.

Whew! What a game.

The freshmen grew up a lot in this game with Grayson Allen unavailable down the stretch. Team development is a work in progress but they put a check in the "never give up" box tonight!
    Bob Green

You guys in chat tonight ( you know who you are) need to have a large whisky (or the beverage of your choice) and seriously chill out.
    Anyway fantastic game. Great win!! I think I will have to watch the second half again!
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Wow that was some game and loved how our Freshman specially Bagley III came up huge the in the last 10 minutes of regulation and then in OT. Also in OT the Monster put back of his miss by Carter was a Man play!! I think the freshman learned a lot with the end of regulation without Grayson and OT. To be honest I was seriously doubting if they'd come back from that 16 point lead. They just looked so tentative and lost defensively. But then the foul issues for Texas came into play and team seemed to find their place and forced Texas into bad possessions. This team showed me a lot today and if they continue to grow like this it could be really exciting and fulfilling season on a lot of levels!! Btw it once again shows that K and company know how to use Big Men!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Really hoping for the MSU Grayson to re-emerge.
    I think you can stop waiting - the comeback happened when we ran our offense through Grayson. He just needs to be smarter about staying on the court...

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    1) Really thought the game turned when we – gasp – went to man instead of zone. Real sink-or-swim moment for the guys and they pulled through.
    It wasn't an immediate impact by any stretch of the imagination, but yes, eventually we did string together some very good possessions of MTM defense to contribute to the comeback. Of course we then proceeded to give up some easy transition layups that made things much hairier in overtime than it needed to be.

On another thought. Who won the Bags v Bambam fight? There was one clear winner.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    Quick thoughts:

Duke going to have to go man Sunday. Florida too good of a shooting team.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    It wasn't an immediate impact by any stretch of the imagination, but yes, eventually we did string together some very good possessions of MTM defense to contribute to the comeback. Of course we then proceeded to give up some easy transition layups that made things much hairier in overtime than it needed to be.
    The biggest mistake of the man defense came down the stretch near the end of regulation when O'Connell tried to go over the screener (for whatever reason) and left Roach with a wide open lane for a dunk, with no one to help.

With Texas shooting not so great from 3 but dunking at will, why not go under the screen?

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    On another thought. Who won the Bags v Bambam fight? There was one clear winner.
    Definitely Bags, but Bamba was impressive most of the game - especially on his weak side block on Bagley (with 4 fouls, no less) with Duke down 2 in regulation.

Not sure we deserved to win, but glad we did. Grayson at the point for much of our closing run in regulation was really effective. Our big guys will wear down any team and get them in foul trouble, glad we stuck with the game play even when we were down big and kept feeding them rather than chucking up threes.

We saw both the good and the bad from this team. Loads of potential, but tons of mistakes from everyone including Grayson.

Never give up. Never ever give up! LGD GTHc!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Tonight’s 85-78 overtime win over Texas is Duke’s sixth-largest second-half comeback in school history. @DukeMBBStats