Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 78, Southern 61 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Well, that was frustrating to watch. I can't imagine how frustrating it must have been to play or to coach.

Bagley has had a double-double in every game except the MSU game where he was hurt.
    Carter and Trent also with double-doubles today.

Southern was scrappy and fought for it.

Carter was solid.

Not much else to say...

That looked to be our floor. I hope that was our floor!

Wendell Carter was the man. Points, rebounds and blocks. Very strong game while Bagley was also a strength. Four for 20 on 3 point shots and less than great at the FT line were areas to work on. Can't remember a time when a Duke team shot worse from the 3 point line.

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    That looked to be our floor. I hope that was our floor!
    The sub flooring is the floor, I hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Wendell Carter was the man. Points, rebounds and blocks. Very strong game while Bagley was also a strength. Four for 20 on 3 point shots and less than great at the FT line were areas to work on. Can't remember a time when a Duke team shot worse from the 3 point line.
    With this year's team, any time Grayson goes 0-fer from 3, the team percentage is likely to be pretty ugly, but hopefully that will not happen very often. Looked like a bit of a hangover from the MSU game and a scrappy effort from Southern. I heart Wendell Carter Jr.

Definitely a bit of an off game for us. We did not look sharp. The ball movement on offense was far inferior than what we have seen from this team thus far. Lots of sloppy passing, not hitting the open man, and trying to force plays that weren’t there. Not sure what happened to Grayson tonight, he just wasn’t aggressive at all. Duval made a number of really nice passes but wasn’t able to pile up the assists because guys were missing shots.

Still some positives. Carter and Bagley played their usual game and were dominant, and Alex was a nice spark of the bench once again. He’s got an impressive ability to process information quickly and make the right decision as a play develops. Alex has been better than advertised so far this year.

Looked like the classic hangover after a big game.

Great scheduling. We let down in a letdown spot but thankfully had scheduled a 300+ level team; if we had played a top-100 team, it might've gotten dicey. I'm not really disappointed; it's more important how we react to this game. If Duke puts forth a much better effort on Monday against Furman, no big deal.

Very happy to have rim protectors this season, and this was the perfect game for Grayson to suffer regression in his 3-pt shooting, haha.

Not much else to say, from my vantage point.

Southern's strategy was to send Duke's bigs to the line, note all the fouls their bench players piled up. That broke the rhythm of the game, but give them credit for getting back on defense for the most part and hitting a lot of shots with hands in their faces.

Nice to see Trevon hit a three and for Bagley to shoot over 50% at the line after a tough start.

Carter continues his stellar play.

Give Grayson credit for not forcing shots. He'll be the focus of a lot of defenses this year.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    The sub flooring is the floor, I hope!
    the floor is the ground
    April 1

With games like these, it's important to keep in mind how young our players are.

Anyone catch K’s presser after?
    I’d be curious to know what he does with this one? Burn the tape and move on? Use it to push a young team?
    Peel the paint and tell them someone spent hundreds on stubhub to see his team take the night off?
    So little attention to detail or hussell which we are used to from a K team and especially one at home.

The line was +41, congrats on the under!

Carter was under rated in my opinion. If he had gone to Harvard, he would've been a triple double threat on any given night of conference play...

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    Carter was under rated in my opinion. If he had gone to Harvard, he would've been a triple double threat on any given night of conference play...
    He was the 4th ranked recruit in the class. 3 before Bags reclassified. Don't think he was underrated so much as just forgotten a bit after Bags signed. He's playing great.

And it's hard to argue w Porter Jr and Ayton ahead of him.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    He was the 4th ranked recruit in the class. 3 before Bags reclassified. Don't think he was underrated so much as just forgotten a bit after Bags signed. He's playing great.
    He was ranked 7th in the final RSCI rankings and no higher than 5th by any site. 247 ranked him 10th. If there are 9 freshman better than him, I haven't seen them.

https://sites.google.com/site/rscihoops/2017-final

Great learning game for the team.

A couple of starters struggled to score but two freshman and nearly a third (ESPN stats) had double-double games. the 3pt shooting was way off (20%) but that was well compensated by points in the paint. Free throw shooting started off abysmally but then got better. Bolden got in and did well.

Hats off to Southern.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon View Post
    Anyone catch K’s presser after?
    I’d be curious to know what he does with this one? Burn the tape and move on? Use it to push a young team?
    Peel the paint and tell them someone spent hundreds on stubhub to see his team take the night off?
    So little attention to detail or hussell which we are used to from a K team and especially one at home.

The line was +41, congrats on the under!
    He acknowledged that they were sluggish. No time allowed for practice after Michigan State due to the college rules. Nine games in twenty days. A lot for a young team to adjust to. Gave props to O'Cpnnell and Carter in particular.

They're growing up. Bless their hearts.
    Love, Ima