Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Nine dunks tonight vs. Texas: Marvin (6), Wendell (2), Grayson.

FWIW, we were outdunked; Texas had 11 throwdowns (and two missed dunks as well).

Season Duke individual dunk stats, after seven games:

Marvin Bagley: 20
    Wendell Carter: 10
    Trevon Duval: 7
    Javin DeLaurier: 5
    Grayson Allen: 5
    Gary Trent: 1
    Marques Bolden: 1

Total team dunks: 49 (7.0 dunks per game)
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 11-25-2017 at 01:12 PM.

This is one of my favorite threads. Thanks for keeping it up, Kedsy.

With Bagley's big dunk day, he's on pace for 93+ this year (conservatively assumes 33 total games). To overtake Mason's senior year (87 dunks), Marvin will need to average 2.61 dunks for the remaining 26 games.

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    This is one of my favorite threads. Thanks for keeping it up, Kedsy.

With Bagley's big dunk day, he's on pace for 93+ this year (conservatively assumes 33 total games). To overtake Mason's senior year (87 dunks), Marvin will need to average 2.61 dunks for the remaining 26 games.
    Actually, Bagley's on pace for 94+ in a 33 game season and almost 103 in a 36-game season (which is what Mason got in his senior year).

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Nine dunks tonight vs. Portland State: Marvin (6), Wendell (2), Grayson.

FWIW, we were outdunked; Texas had 11 throwdowns (and two missed dunks as well).

Season Duke individual dunk stats, after seven games:

Marvin Bagley: 20
    Javin DeLaurier: 5

Total team dunks: 49 (7.0 dunks per game)
    This was supposed to say Texas, not Portland State. Mods if you see this, could you change yesterday's post? Thanks.

Just two dunks tonight vs. Florida: one each for Marvin and Javin.

Marvin has dunked at least once in every game. Nobody else on the team can say that (or at least say that and be truthful).

Season Duke individual dunk stats, after eight games:

Marvin Bagley: 21
    Javin DeLaurier: 6

Total team dunks: 51 (6.4 dunks per game)

Seven more dunks tonight vs. Indiana: Marvin (3), Wendell (3), and Grayson.

Marvin has dunked at least once in every game. Nobody else on the team can say that (or at least say that and be truthful).

Season Duke individual dunk stats, after nine games:

Marvin Bagley: 24
    Wendell Carter: 13
    Grayson Allen: 6

Total team dunks: 58 (6.4 dunks per game)

Seven more dunks tonight vs. Indiana: Marvin (3), Wendell (3), and Grayson.

Season Duke individual dunk stats, after nine games:

Marvin Bagley: 24
    Wendell Carter: 13

Total team dunks: 58 (6.4 dunks per game)
    So just to recalibrate myself here, we're currently on pace to utterly shatter the record. Correct?

ETA: Interestingly, I searched around to see how many dunks FGCU slammed in its "Dunk City" season (2012-2013). According to this article, it was a measly 148. So perhaps at this rate, Duke will be Dunk Nation?

Yeah, I'm not good with creativity...

- Chillin
    Last edited by ChillinDuke; 11-30-2017 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    So just to recalibrate myself here, we're currently on pace to utterly shatter the record. Correct?

ETA: Interestingly, I searched around to see how many dunks FGCU slammed in its "Dunk City" season (2012-2013). According to this article, it was a measly 148. So perhaps at this rate, Duke will be Dunk Nation?

Yeah, I'm not good with creativity...

- Chillin
    That FGCU team played 37 games, so 148 would be an average of 4.0 dunks per game. Duke's current record holder, the 1998-99 team had 162 (or 163) dunks in 39 games, an average of almost 4.2 dpg. If our current team keeps up its 6.44 dpg average over somewhere between 36 and 40 games, we'll have between 230 and 260 dunks.

Personally, I doubt we'll get a catchy nickname over it but, yeah, we're still on pace to shatter the Duke record. I have no idea what the ACC or NCAA record might be.

That FGCU team played 37 games, so 148 would be an average of 4.0 dunks per game. Duke's current record holder, the 1998-99 team had 162 (or 163) dunks in 39 games, an average of almost 4.2 dpg. If our current team keeps up its 6.44 dpg average over somewhere between 36 and 40 games, we'll have between 230 and 260 dunks.

Personally, I doubt we'll get a catchy nickname over it but, yeah, we're still on pace to shatter the Duke record. I have no idea what the ACC or NCAA record might be.
    I have not been able to find a full season dunk statistic for them, but the famous Phi Slamma Jamma Houston team had 13 dunks in the 1983 Final Four against Louisville, which is a crazy number for a really competitive game against a high-quality opponent (Houston was #1, Lou was #2 in the polls). The Cougars team dunked a LOT that season and they played in 34 total games, which is a good number of games. I would not be at all surprised if they held the record.

-Jason "2015 Kentucky also dunked a tremendous amount with Towns, Cauley-Stein, and others" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I have not been able to find a full season dunk statistic for them, but the famous Phi Slamma Jamma Houston team had 13 dunks in the 1983 Final Four against Louisville, which is a crazy number for a really competitive game against a high-quality opponent (Houston was #1, Lou was #2 in the polls). The Cougars team dunked a LOT that season and they played in 34 total games, which is a good number of games. I would not be at all surprised if they held the record.

-Jason "2015 Kentucky also dunked a tremendous amount with Towns, Cauley-Stein, and others" Evans
    ...and they had ZERO dunks in the final against NC State that year.

That game had two dunks, both by NC State: One to open the game, and one to close out the game.

I tried to track down Phi Slama Jama numbers as well when this thread was created and could not find any season totals anywhere on the interwebs.

Six more dunks vs. South Dakota: Marvin (2), Wendell (2), Marques, and Javin.

Season Duke individual dunk stats, after ten games:

Marvin Bagley: 26
    Wendell Carter: 15
    Javin DeLaurier: 7
    Marques Bolden: 2

Total team dunks: 64 (6.4 dunks per game)

Six more dunks vs. South Dakota: Marvin (2), Wendell (2), Marques, and Javin.

Season Duke individual dunk stats, after ten games:

Marvin Bagley: 26
    Wendell Carter: 15
    Marques Bolden: 2

Total team dunks: 64 (6.4 dunks per game)
    Sure felt like Bagley had more dunks than that. I am not disputing your numbers (I am enjoying this thread and the fruit of your labor), it just feels like 80% of his points are jams.

Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Sure felt like Bagley had more dunks than that. I am not disputing your numbers (I am enjoying this thread and the fruit of your labor), it just feels like 80% of his points are jams.

Go Duke!
    I go by the official box score.

But I will say I noticed while I watched the South Dakota game that Marvin had an unusual number of athletic, body-twisting layups, rather than dunks, at least in that game

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Doesn't hurt to have 2 Hall of Famers (Drexler, Olajuwon) as part of that dunking crew. Especially since they might not even have been the best dunkers on that team.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post

Go Duke!
    If we go to the championship game, he is on pace to have 100 dunks in a season. That's crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeFanSince1990 View Post
    If we go to the championship game, he is on pace to have 100 dunks in a season. That's crazy.
    100 dunks would put Marvin eighth on the Duke career dunk list. The single-season record is 87, by Mason Plumlee in 2012-13 (interestingly enough, those 87 dunks were more than 85% of that team's total of 102 dunks). Second most on the single-season list is Jahlil Okafor, with 64. So, yeah, 100 would be a lot.

If we play 40 games, Wendell might threaten Jahlil's place in the single-season hierarchy as well, meaning this year's team could end up with #1 and #3 on the single-season list, in the same season.

Nine more dunks vs. St. Francis (PA): Marvin (4), Wendell (2), Marques (2), and Grayson.

The official scorer didn't credit Justin Robinson with a dunk on his alley-oop conversion, late in the game. Which is a shame, both for JRob and for the team, because it would have been our first double-digit dunk performance of the season.

Season Duke individual dunk stats, after 11 games:

Marvin Bagley: 30
    Wendell Carter: 17
    Grayson Allen: 7
    Marques Bolden: 4

Total team dunks: 73 (6.6 dunks per game)

Six dunks vs. BC: Wendell (2), Javin (2), Marques, and Grayson.

Marvin did not dunk in this game, his first collegiate game that ended without him converting a dunk. That ends his streak of consecutive games with a dunk at 11.

Season Duke individual dunk stats, after 12 games:

Marvin Bagley: 30
    Wendell Carter: 19
    Javin DeLaurier: 9
    Grayson Allen: 8
    Marques Bolden: 5

Total team dunks: 79 (6.6 dunks per game)

This thread is a lot more fun after a victory.