Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

The "I'm not going to jinx it" thread 2017-18

Rules for the thread are easy-peasy - any time we see an upset brewing, we talk about something else, whether it's the World Tiddlywinks Championships, or that time we got shanghaied for sunglasses, or fight over which is better, red wine or white. Anything but the upset, alright? For example, I like seeing a Bluejay. I know they are cranky bullies that have been known to beat up 'Cats, but still . . .

Extra points for cleverness, redeemable at the front counter, for a wide array of blue sporks. (Winners responsible for all taxes.)

So, on to not jinxing. May this year rival the inaugural iteration and enjoy the ride!

Just for clarity, I thought this was for upsets that we generally want to happen (which are most), but the one referenced here most of us Chris Collins fans don't want to see. I think we need to jinx the hell out of this one, yes?

Is this the thread where I talk about getting my “UK 40-0” tattoo?

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    Just for clarity, I thought this was for upsets that we generally want to happen (which are most), but the one referenced here most of us Chris Collins fans don't want to see. I think we need to jinx the hell out of this one, yes?
    "When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean-neither more nor less."

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Is this the thread where I talk about getting my “UK 40-0” tattoo?
    You betcha, but I thought you were getting that removed.

I admit to having some jinx-like thoughts on mods to the tat.

We thought the wolfpack was Reformed under a new pack leader, but did God elect them to suffer embarrassment tonight?

(some theological humor)

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    We thought the wolfpack was Reformed under a new pack leader, but did God elect them to suffer embarrassment tonight?

(some theological humor)
    They thought they had a prayer. Meantime, I've been watching a Hokie-r game.

"We thought the wolfpack was Reformed under a new pack leader, but did God elect them to suffer embarrassment tonight?

(some theological humor)
    They thought they had a prayer. Meantime, I've been watching a Hokie-r game."

Yes, but the Hokies now appear to have been sainted

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    "We thought the wolfpack was Reformed under a new pack leader, but did God elect them to suffer embarrassment tonight?

(some theological humor)
    They thought they had a prayer. Meantime, I've been watching a Hokie-r game."

Yes, but the Hokies now appear to have been sainted
    Anyway, State blew out Presbyterian in the 2nd half and won 86-68.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

the mask came off....warriors doing the shaking head double time....whining to the refs and watching tatum at the line...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

down goes frazier!!!!
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    down goes frazier!!!!
    I watched the Xavier team close out against Wisky but kept an eye on the score - thinking that Irving kid knew what he was doing and the Tatum dude landed in clover. Really nice to see Semi got some burn, too.

Anybody know if New Hampshire is nice this time of year? Thinking it might be worth checking into after I get done at PK80 next week. Maybe?

Anyhow, later gator.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
    Anybody know if New Hampshire is nice this time of year? Thinking it might be worth checking into after I get done at PK80 next week. Maybe?

Anyhow, later gator.
    I think this is a job for budwom....
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    I think this is a job for budwom...
    I’m guessing, without knowing, that his answer is “£~<{ no”

Ok. Press one for English. I took a look at who played today and I didn't see anything that seemed like an upset. Can someone please explain?
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Ok. Press one for English. I took a look at who played today and I didn't see anything that seemed like an upset. Can someone please explain?
    Some of it has to do with timing. Ultrarunner's comment, "Anybody know if New Hampshire is nice this time of year? Thinking it might be worth checking into after I get done at PK80 next week. Maybe? Anyhow, later gator." was written during the NH v. Florida Gators game, in which Florida eventually won. When s/he wrote it, however, it was a tight game, worthy of a pun in the "I'm not going to jinx it" thread. If s/he had simply written, "NH is going to beat Florida!" s/he would've certainly jinxed the outcome and NH would've surely lost. But since Ultra wrote a clever pun, the outcome remained in doubt and unaffected by his/her post. Got it?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Some of it has to do with timing. Ultrarunner's comment, "Anybody know if New Hampshire is nice this time of year? Thinking it might be worth checking into after I get done at PK80 next week. Maybe? Anyhow, later gator." was written during the NH v. Florida Gators game, in which Florida eventually won. When s/he wrote it, however, it was a tight game, worthy of a pun in the "I'm not going to jinx it" thread. If s/he had simply written, "NH is going to beat Florida!" s/he would've certainly jinxed the outcome and NH would've surely lost. But since Ultra wrote a clever pun, the outcome remained in doubt and unaffected by his/her post. Got it?
    Adding to what Rich offered, nothing on the thread is direct. Hints, puns, song lyrics, whatever gets the message across. As for puns, I'm still in pre-season form and rusty.

Florida was up a deuce when I wrote the post, btw. New Hampshire wasn't likely to win - but we can hope, and we can try to avoid a jinx. While some dispute the efficacy of the thread, it has been fairly successful in regards former D1 university just down the road from Durham.

That last bit might be some serious confirmation bias/wishful thinking.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
    Adding to what Rich offered, nothing on the thread is direct. Hints, puns, song lyrics, whatever gets the message across. As for puns, I'm still in pre-season form and rusty.

Florida was up a deuce when I wrote the post, btw. New Hampshire wasn't likely to win - but we can hope, and we can try to avoid a jinx. While some dispute the efficacy of the thread, it has been fairly successful in regards former D1 university just down the road from Durham.

That last bit might be some serious confirmation bias/wishful thinking.
    All I read in those two posts is "How to Dissect a Frog".
    Also, I saw that Northwestern (#20) lost by more points than they were ranked. By almost double.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    All I read in those two posts is "How to Dissect a Frog".
    Also, I saw that Northwestern (#20) lost by more points than they were ranked. By almost double.
    Yep, but I picked on them starting the thread, to the complaint of another poster. Plus, getting beaten like a rented mule adds zero excitement. I posted the NU game in the NCAA Men's NOT-DUKE Basketball thread.